Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
The recent passing of a $1.40 tax hike on cigarettes in New York has basically done in any lingering desires to smoke. Through college I kept telling myself I would quit after college, after that finished it was when I'd be paying more than $5 a pack, and then once I left Georgia after college and cigarettes went up to $9 a pack, I finally have stopped.

I'll still smoke the occasional cigarette, if I'm with a smoker, but I've effectively cut them out of my day to day. Which is especially tough when I do nothing all day except smoke :420: and play video games. I've done well so far.

And as others have said, Snus is definitely helping a ton. I've actually been enjoying them more than cigarettes as of late, and it's been allowing me to get back to training for soccer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I've been a daily smoker since 1989. 21-Goddamn-Years!!!!

Over the past couple of years though, I can barely smoke a whole cigarette. My consumption hasn't decreased (I still go through anywhere from a pack to 2 packs per day), but I hate the way they taste now. I don't know what changed, or why, but I get 3-5 puffs into a cigarette and I have to put it out.

I'm heading back to work next week (for 2 weeks, offshore) and I'm not bringing a single tobacco product with me. I'm going to be irritable and miserable, but I really do want to come through the other side not having had anything for a couple of weeks. I figure if I can make it that long, I might as well just convince myself that I've quit and never touch the wretched stuff again.

I'll be hoping you quit too, because you've smoked my whole life. Good luck to you.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Well, for the first week of quitting I had maybe only two or three cigarettes, these were with my girlfriend just after sexual relations so I figured it was a bit of a treat, but since she went back to CT, I haven't had a single one, and that was about one week ago.

So in the last two weeks, I've had about three cigarettes, with all of them in the beginning of the timeframe.

This may or may not be as long as I've gone before.

e:

KingEup posted:

I have a shower everyday because I like it/want to. Nothing to do with being addicted.
I'm confused by this, what are you saying?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Robert Kubica posted:

Anyway, I gues telling someone (even the internet) makes it official, and I have to do it now.

It does. Having written down that I've wanted to quit, has allowed me the ability to do it, somehow. I've had maybe 5-10 cigarettes over the past 2 weeks or so, never by self, never paid for, and only while out drinking with friends. I don't have urges or cravings during the day, and have turned down offers for a cigarette.

Just keep checking the thread to see how many other people are trying to do the same, and it will keep you in check for sure.

Good Luck!

• Locked thread