Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
So I guess I'm a little different. I stopped smoking about 3-4 years ago, but really just replaced my smoking addiction for a snus addiction. In all honesty it's a far better addiction to have than smoking if you're using the right stuff, but I hate having one in when I want to kiss my girlfriend. I want to be absolutely perfect for her, so I'm dropping the snus. It'd also be really nice not to be dropping like $50 a month on something I don't need.

I've already stepped down to the weaker snus varieties, (4mg - General Mini when I can get it and Camel when I can't) and I've stopped ordering it online completely. I've also spaced out my usage more, since I was just chaining the stuff before I met my girlfriend. I even slept with it in pretty regularly; those are some wild dreams.

I really want to switch over to gum before I quit though - cold turkey never worked for me when smoking and I doubt it'd work for me now either. The gum would help force me to space it out more, and I could go a step farther down than I can with snus - the 2mg step. The poo poo is way too expensive, though. I remember when switching to snus finding some places online to get it for dirt cheap, but can't find them anymore. Anyone have any ideas?

edit: Some words of encouragement for people trying to quit. If you can make it long enough, you'll never want to touch them again. I've tried a cigarette or two since I switched to snus and they are loving revolting to me now. Even secondhand is pretty bad. Good luck goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

glompix posted:

I remember when switching to snus finding some places online to get it for dirt cheap, but can't find them anymore. Anyone have any ideas?

Welp, got some 4mg CVS gum. Somehow it seems a little too strong, or maybe I'm used to snus and just leaving it in too long. That's weird to me, because when I was at the height of my snusing, I was using like, 12-13mg portions. Before I decided to quit, I was using 6mg portions.

If anyone else is looking for cheap gum, the cheapest I've found so far is this Habitrol stuff. Definitely going to get 2mg portions next time. Right now, my strategy is to just use it when I start getting a withdrawl-induced headache, or just before a long meeting. I'm making seeing how long I can deal with the headache into sort of a game, too. I really don't want to just replace snus with gum.

glompix fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 12, 2012

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

7point62 posted:

Feeling a lot better overall at day 5, cravings down to hardly anything, headaches gone, etc. Most annoying part right now is the hoarse voice and dry coughing. My voice seems to get a bit better after clearing my throat (which I have to do 100 times a day now) but I'm coughing like I'm sick and sound terrible like I'm getting laryngitis or something and it's been this way for like 3 days now.

This is normal right?

That happened to me when I quit, but my coughs produced a lot of mucous. It felt like I was expunging my lungs of all the crap I had put in them, and it felt great.

About to hit two weeks of being snus-free. Still on gum, but stepped down from 4mg to 2mg already, and working on using fewer pieces per day. Once I get back from vacation in two weeks, going to start cold turkey, or at least limit myself to 1-2 pieces per day.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
drat, Labor Day weekend is a good time to quit.

I've posted a handful of times in this thread. Smoked for ~4 years, snused for ~3, and used gum for about half a year. Worked myself down to 4 2mg chiclets per day. For reference, some of my single portions of snus were ~13mg at one point, and I'd just have one in constantly.

On Saturday, I finally quit. It loving hurt for a while. Waking up on Sunday morning was extremely painful. When I speak about pain, I mean those tightness headaches. :420: helped with this some, and not doing anything all weekend except play DotA and watch KOTH/Trailer Park Boys helped even more. The transition to work sucks, but I can't imagine how much suckier it would have been without that 3-day easing period.

Anyone know when the headaches start going away? Yesterday they went from constant to just most of the time with occasional waves of clarity, so that's something I guess.

edit: AHHHHHHH WORK loving SUCKS. Four pieces of gum in my drawer. Being strong and throwing them away. :black101:

glompix fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 4, 2012

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Does anyone know if Tylenol works for nicotine withdrawal headaches? I took one around noon, had a bad nic headache, and 30m later it went away. I was taking one anyway because of some shots that also give me flu-like symptoms, not for the nicotine headaches.

LISTEN TO KYUSS posted:

Hello, I'm LISTEN TO KYUSS and I've been smoking a pack a day for ten years. I figured I should quit before I turn 30 (in two years). I picked up the Nicoderm patches from Kroger on the way home and I just put it on an hour ago. I opted for the patch because I heard horror stories about being addicted to the gum and/or lozenges.

Here I go, guys. Wish me luck. :-)

You can be addicted to patches just as much as you can gum or lozenges. You're addicted to the nicotine in it.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Five days in. Dear god doing a phone interview for a software job right after you quit sucks. My brain was revolting and very muscle in my body felt like it was tensing up. I can't remember the last time I had anxiety like that, and I'm usually really cool about this kind of stuff. At least it's not constantly like that anymore, and it's just in waves. Feeling alright most of the time.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Systemic Flaw posted:

Lozenge/altoid replacement

Nice! Keep it up. I had the idea to do this with gum, since I spent about 4-5 months stepping down with gum. I never got around to chewing regular gum to replace nicotine gum though, because I am too lazy to pick up a pack of gum from the store apparently.

Snippet of encouragement for all smokegoons - Even if you can't get off nicotine, stop smoking cigarettes. It's not bad with a good NRT, even if that NRT is snus or ecigs. Even if you're not really ready to quit, make the switch as soon as you can. When you're ready, it will be that much easier, and you'll feel great in the meantime. It took me several years to go from snus to nothing, and I didn't really want to give snus up through a lot of that, but now here I am nicotine-free for the rest of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Two weeks today feel like a champ

• Locked thread