Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fl0yd
Apr 30, 2004

Judge Judy and executioner?

Schistosity posted:

I'm about halfway though Carr's book. I've tried other methods of quitting without luck, so I figured why not try reading it since it's been recommended. So far it half feels like he's selling me something and half telling me what I already know, so I'm curious if his method has worked for others. I'm sure it'll make more sense once I finish the book, but it's a weird read so far.

Anyone else have something to say about Carr?

Yes; why are you approaching it with such suspicion? If the first few chapters don't strike some sort of chord with you, or you don't genuinely want to quit, don't read it.

Also, nicotine replacement therapy is a sham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fl0yd
Apr 30, 2004

Judge Judy and executioner?

Schistosity posted:

I'm naturally suspicious with the premise of the book, as I think most reasonable people would. As one who has tried quitting many times unsuccessfully I am willing to read his book, but I am not one who will blindly believe everything I read (which Carr fully agrees to and states multiple times himself in his book.) I do genuinely want to quit and I find his book interesting, but any normal human (that smokes) would find it hard to believe that quitting smoking is painfree and easy, which is the basis of his system.

All I wanted to know is if others have read his book and what their opinion of it is.

So, basically, you have the feeling of "this is too good to be true"?

I took the premise of the book to be "smoking is easier to stop doing than you think", not that its actually easy. He takes the "easier than you think" theme and really hammers it into you. Repeatedly.

I read it about 5 years ago and haven't smoked (or even wanted to) since. My wife and 4-5 of our friends read it, only one of them is now a still smoker. It wasn't "easy", but after three weeks of not smoking, I was free. I can still remember exactly where I was (standing on Platform 2 of my local train station) when I realised, after almost twenty years, that I was no longer a smoker.

I just find the notion of steadfastly refusing* to go along with the book, based soley on the off-chance that every word isn't 100% fact, bizarre.

Sure, there are some arguments in there that are a bit strange or wide of the mark, but its like the atheletes training mantra of "pain is just weakness leaving the body" - well, stricly speaking, no, its not. But Mr Athelete is repeating that poo poo to himself a hundred times a day and its helping him get to where he wants to be.

Surely, the positive effects on your life are worth allowing yourself to slightly tricked/hoodwinked into making it 99% easier to quit than you thought it was?

Seriously, one day you will want to quit (or worse, be told by someone in the medical profession that you have to). Might as well do it now. Three weeks is nothing. Good luck.

*ok, not 'steadfastly refusing', thats a bit strong.

• Locked thread