Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.
I've only been smoking since 2006, but tomorrow marks my third full week without smoking. I tried quitting before, but quickly grew impatient with it and would end up buying another pack. Then one day, I dunno, it just made sense. It hasn't been an issue at all, and two of my roommates smoke (so I smell it, and am around it daily). I even found a full pack of smokes in a luggage bag in my closet, and it didn't phase me. I didn't bother with expensive patches or gum.

Granted, I haven't been smoking all that long (a little over 4 years), but right up to when I quit, I was going through half a pack to a pack a day, depending on the day's events. I dunno, it just sort of happened like flipping a lightswitch. I hope the rest of you guys can find the fortitude to make it through.

I feel like the real challenge will be on a drinking night. Maybe that's why I haven't gone and gotten drunk yet.

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
Yay, Abiggoat! If nothing else, I find that I'm really proud of each week that trickles by, and I find every chance I can to share the small victories with my friends and family. They're all very supportive of course. I hope you are able to stick with it, buddy. And when it gets real tough, I hope you find the fortitude to work through it. Like others have suggested, make sure you consciously interchange "Cigarette" with __________ to work the association into your brain. I swap it out for different things to prevent another :haw: habit - so like gum sometimes, candy others (candy owns), jerky, etc. For the first couple weeks, I was literally supplementing one craving a day with a mile run. Like "gently caress, I really want a smoke right now... Okay, time to go run." It was doubly good for 'punishing' the craving mentality, AND for rewarding my body for choosing the run over the smoke! My lungs would high five me each time (after they were done coughing and hacking, of course :) )

Be tough, Goons. Each day you're without a cigarette is another notch tougher that you are. I'd say Good Luck! but it's all YOU that will get it done :cheers:

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Abiggoat posted:

Don't. I'm a horrible, horrible person.

Sorry to dissapoint you, Spitshine, but I've hosed up already. I owe a friend a ten pack, so I bought one so I could give it to her tonight. She doesn't get back to Sheffield until Monday, though. During a library session in which I realised just how much time I don't have to complete these university assignments, I proptly opened it and have already gone through three.

However, it is only a ten pack, so it will be gone by the time the day ends. THEN I'll give it a 100% serious attempt. My friend can have the money for pack, instead of the pack itself. I'm going to adapt the way in which my step-dad stopped smoking; brushing my teeth when a craving comes along. Oral hygiene and smoke-less clothes? Win win, as far as I'm concerned.
You're like a real life troll. EXCEPT YOURE ONLY TROLLING YOURSELF :mad:

The most significant thing that's happened to me since I've quit has honestly been the dreaming. In my dreams, I find myself smoking, or I'll realize that I'm holding a smoked butt in my fingers and I'll think, wait what? well poo poo, there goes my non-smoking streak... oh well and then I continue smoking. It's not even the focus of the dream, it's just a sidebar to the events and interpersonal experiences in the dream (like real life smoking). The biggest thing that gets me is the immense sense of disappointment :(

And then I wake up and realize that I'm still going strong and haven't broken the streak!

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 13, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

TwistedNails posted:

It has been almost 9 months now since I quit smoking. I quit cold turkey and began to run daily and joined a new gym, after running a mile with smokers lungs quitting became really easy. It hurt to breathe while I was running but it got easier everyday and it helped keep me away from cigs. Now I've lost a ton of weight joined a Karate and Judo class on top of my normal gym and I really turned my life around.

gently caress cigarettes. Goodluck guys!
Running is great now. I used to be a really good runner while being a smoker (12:34 best 2-mile!), but now that I've quit it's just nice to know that I'm getting back on track. I feel better every run, I can do it faster, and I'm not in a rush to finish the workout. Got a new job (am still poor, but it'll get better!), made it over four weeks without a single cig, and made it through a heavy drinking weekend too.

Abiggoat posted:

I'm not doing too bad, though! I did three days smoke-free but eventually succumbed to my cravings. I only had one and gave the ten pack I bought to my friend who is allowed to give me one a day, if I ask. If I do ask, he will give me it at some point in that day. This way is working quite well because he's being clever about it and giving me one when he knows I wouldn't want one (just before eating, just woke up, about to go to bed etc) so its completely taking away anything I enjoyed about smoking and just replacing it with that feeling you'd get when you'd had one too many.

Yes, I'm still smoking a little, but I'm finding I want to less and less! I think going from 5 or 6 a day to sometimes wanting 1 is pretty good (for me, at least)!
This actually sounds like a fantastic way to quit, man. Good luck!

• Locked thread