Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I'm in. Had my last one 26 hours ago. 22 years, 1.5 packs a day, quit twice before for maybe 3 months max. Doing cold turkey/Carr even though, yes, he reads like a used car salesman. Snapped once at my co-worker, but kept headphones on for the rest of the day. Feel like I'm wearing a space helmet, but other than that I've been able to handle cravings rationally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
I have to leave my home in cold Canada to go to the corner store so that I can pay $10.25 to get 20 smokes.

On the way, I will meet no-one. On the way back, I might meet someone who wants a smoke who will pay me $1 for one. This is the way it goes. I am nearly one month clean. I don't want the things.

This was not really worth posting except that it helped me not go out there.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Oh excellent, I see from my last post here that this is my one-month mark and I'm still clean yay. Cold turkey mostly, with a soupcon of Carr at the beginning. Toughest times are when I'm being drunk and bored, but since that usually happens at 11pm or later it's easy to discourage myself from walking all the 3 blocks to the store.

Smelled a dude on the bus today and felt superior. To balance that, saw a really hot chick walking down my street smoking and had the dumb thought that I'd never actually dated a smoker and maybe someday if my relationship ends tragically... well, actually what's to be gained from that.

Also I'm really starting to get pissed off at the piles of butts around the entrance to my work. I never did that -- you pinch off the cherry and throw the butt in the trash. Wise up, those of you who are smokers.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Checking in, quit on April 13 so almost four months clean now after having smoked since '88, and no desire to go back. Method was Carr/turkey. Previously I'd done gum, and another time Wellbutrin (or is that the antidepressant name for it, can't be arsed, I was depressed back then so it was a two birds with one stone deal).

I just want to say that the whole idea of weaning yourself off is really at best a form of torture and at worst a way to reinforce to yourself how much you "need" nicotine. I haven't done it, but as far as I can see the snus approach isn't much different than gum, which is also a form of weaning. Suffer through the Carr book despite the car-salesman prose, let it sink in. For me, I smoked after Carr but it definitely wasn't as enjoyable any more. A few months later I read half of the book again and actually quit smoking rather than have to continue reading it.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Nedsmaster posted:

You have an opinion, but e-cigarettes really aren't just like the patch or anything. In fact, you pretty much described them well here - "I'd love to be able to find some magic method where I can enjoy cigarettes once in awhile without worrying about messing up my health."

There's a pretty big GBS thread about them, and the E-Cigarette Forum has over 40,000 members that swear by them. They really do help you quit smoking, on both the chemical and psychological fronts. Most people do what I do - you have some liquid with nicotine and some that is nicotine-free, so you can still have the oral fixation without the chemicals. You gradually taper off. Regardless of whether or not you think this isn't a good way to stop smoking, a large number of people can testify that it is.

Just saying. But I do agree with your ultimate point, that the final goal is to be off nicotine for good.

I dunno man, it sounds like lot of dragging things out and rationalization to the degree that a whole new thing has been invented to sustain something that doesn't make any drat sense to begin with. What's the objective? If you want to quit, then quit. If you want to smoke, then you aren't ready to quit, so read Carr again. Kind-of-but-not-really smoking (i.e. ingesting nicotine by whatever method other than smoking) is just fooling yourself since nicotine addiction is the real issue. If you forgot your E-Cig behind when you went on vacation in No E-Cig Land, would you bite the bullet or would you just kind of try to keep it down to three maybe four bummed smokes a day? When you came back home, would it be smokes or robo-smokes? And don't get me started on the weird fetishization of the E-Cig paraphernalia...

Ugh, I hate that I just wrote all that; I always hated preachy ex-smokers and now I'm turning into one at the young age of four months. Really I'm just saying that I tried weaning off with whatever method a bunch of times and it never worked and I have strong doubts that this new technological approach is any better. Just chucking out the smokes and hiding the ashtrays has worked way better. For me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

OK, I just bought a pack after 11 months, and have smoked four or five. I am away from home and that is no excuse. I do not want to continue this poo poo, but circumstances allowed me to. Dudes, there is no safe amount to play with.

• Locked thread