Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Himuro posted:

Anyone have any alternatives to smoking cigs? I have started smoking recently due to stress and while I'm not addicted yet, I really like smoking them. The actual act of smoking them is both fun and relaxing and it helps me get out of my nerve wracked head and chill a bit. Not to mention, I really like the nicotine high.

I really like smoking but at the same time I don't want to get caught up in it. Are there any good alternatives for that oral fixation and contemplative relaxation? I guess cigars would suffice?

I'd like to finish off this pack of American Spirits that I really like and have these clove cigars for special times.

Stop and stop now. That nicotine high is going to go away, your dopamine levels are going to get shot to poo poo and you're going to get hooked constantly wanting that high again. If you want fun poo poo to get out of your stress wracked head, find something to do, run, play a sport, lift some heavy poo poo and put it back down again then repeat over and over, play a game, watch movies, watch sports, whatever. Or just smoke weed.

I quit for two months on Champix (Chantix in the US) and it worked brilliantly. Unfortunately my grandmother (who I was a full time carer for) passed away, I missed my prescription renewal appointment and fell off the wagon. I'll be going cold turkey this week as I cannot get a Champix prescription without a six month break from them and I don't intend to keep throwing this money away or continuing to gently caress up my health for a whole six months.

Even after a couple of weeks I felt great, the poo poo in my lungs was starting to shift and my fitness levels and taste/smell were returning. I was also feeling very refreshed after a night's sleep and getting rid of that morning cough was great. For these reasons I'm confident about going cold turkey. Got my last pack and a small bottle of vodka to enjoy tonight and then that's it.

I went to a Carr seminar and it didn't work for me. It worked for many of my colleagues that went along. There's a reason there's a lot of cessation methods, as not all of them work for all people. Champix worked great for me and I'd still be clear today if I hadn't missed that appointment however it isn't suitable for everyone. Someone in the thread mentioned knowing someone who was a loving wreck on Varenicline (Champix/Chantix) well their doctor should have taken them off it and explored other options. I was fortunate in having no side effects and zero withdrawal issues.

So wish me luck, good goons and good luck to anyone else looking to quit. Cigarettes are loving evil, not for all the do gooder health reasons but the money and the insidious way in which they get you.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Himuro posted:

The only reason I bought a pack was because I'm up to my ears in stress and the cigs are helping me cope. I need something, anything to help me find a way to cope and they're doing their job admirably.

This is because smoking cigs gets your dopamine a pumping however that isn't something that your body can sustain to the levels that smoking requires long term. It's better to get endorphins going instead, hence my suggestion to find something physical to do.

Or hey, jerk off.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gothmog1065 posted:

The smell of fresh cigarettes still smells sweet as poo poo.

Yeah this gets me too.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BigDave posted:

Hell, if anything, food tastes better. I used to chew gum for the oral fixation, now it tastes loving delicious.

I guess strong aversion, but you would thing the strong aversion would be to booze, not smokes.

The alcohol probably washed out a fair bit of the poo poo that accumulates in your sinuses/nasal passages from smoking?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Runefaust posted:

Picked up smoking from my now recent ex (We had been together for 4 years). She cheated, and I'm left with this stupid habit. Been smoking for the past 2 years, and I'm up to a pack a day.

On my last pack right now, I SWEAR!

Anyways, this will be my go to thread for keeping everyone up to date and asking for advice. I do have a question in advance though - I've always had an "oral fixation" and have a habit of moving my hands/always need to be doing something as well. Is there ANYTHING I can do to preoccupy myself and keep myself busy? I take public transportation, and I smoke frequently on my way between busses and trolleys. I need to find a way to keep myself busy, damnit!

Plus, I feel that when I've tried to quit, and I stand around large groups of people/hanging out at bars/hanging at any social event, I immediately want to turn to the cig. WHAT CAN I DO?!?!?!

For the hand poo poo get one of those stress balls/hand strengthening balls/grips to gently caress about with when your hand gets antsy. Another thing you can do is get xylitol sweetened mints, they're usually small so can be semi frequently popped in and xylitol is good for your teeth.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

spixxor posted:

Anyway, anyone got any motivational mantras besides "Hey stupid you're killing yourself?"

Biggest motivation for me, rightly or wrongly, is the money. It's crazy how expensive it is. To put it into perspective, it's now cheaper for me to burn a five pound note (GBP) than to smoke a pack of cigarettes and it's healthier for me too. :monocle: If I stopped smoking and burned a fiver per day I'd still save money. Insane.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Petr posted:

This is my second time quitting. It's my fifth day with no nicotine and the physical cravings are still intense. Whoever said physical addiction is over in three days is full of it. I haven't slept since Monday. I'm worried I'm going to lose my job and I don't know what to do.

It's more like 3 weeks. I highly recommend the Allen Carr book. Champix does work well if you don't get hit hard by the side effects.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

jax posted:

It sounds like a really bad idea but I agree with you. Some people, myself included, don't get along with the whole never again thing.

The problem of course is how easy it is to get addicted. I do think it's possible if you're really careful after that 'just one'.

There's a huge logical fallacy in this post here. If you can't stop, you're still addicted. If you're convincing yourself with "just one" you're still addicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Boner Slam posted:

I know I could smoke a cigarette at any time without falling off any wagon

If you smoke, you've fallen off the wagon.

For context, replace "smoke a cigarette" with "have a drink" in a thread about alcoholics.

• Locked thread