Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake
I just bought patches and they gave me a giant rash on my abdomen, and then later on my arm. loving epilepsy, I can't take any of the pills. I might go get the gum and just chew a little as needed. It makes more sense, too, since I won't be feeding myself a constant stream of nicotine.

I am so sick of smoking, but I feel like I don't know what the hell to do with myself without it. And that's the worst part of all; feeling like it's such a part of me that I'm almost "lost" without it. I can't go out with my family without thinking constantly about how I'd just like to have a cigarette. (I don't smoke away from the house, or in the car.) I'm kind of like an obese person: All I can think about is "food". No matter where I am, no matter what we're doing, all I can think about is when and how I'm going to get my next cigarette.

I've had about 3 cigarettes today. Down from.... 10-12 a day? I don't have any left. Tomorrow morning is going to be interesting....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake

LifelongFan posted:

The patch has been a huge help for me. I'm 18 days smoke-free and haven't had the withdrawal symptoms yet. I went a day without the patch accidentally and was okay, but I'm still going to follow the entire course. I haven't really noticed any difference physically yet, but it feels good to have gotten this far - and not constantly thinking about my next smoke break when I'm at work.

Congrats! How long/how much were you smoking?

I was _miserable_ today. I took back the patches and bought some of the gum. And then I bought a pack of cigarettes and smoked three throughout the day. :/

I'd forgotten that the last time I quit smoking the worst part was the idea that I would never be able to have one again. I had to keep telling myself that I would eventually have one, and that's what made me get past the mental part of it. This time, I did it cold turkey and I was having more issues with the mental part of it than anything.

e: Also the first one I smoked today really tasted like poo poo to me. I take that as a good sign!

nerdzrool fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 4, 2012

nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake
I found this website last night: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html

It's not written that well, but there are a few things that were helpful. Like this:

quote:

It's critical during early withdrawal to not skip meals, especially breakfast. Attempting to do so will likely cause blood sugar levels to plummet, making recovery far more challenging than need be.

As a stimulant, nicotine activates the body's fight or flight response, feeding the addict instant energy by pumping stored fats and sugars into the bloodstream. It allowed us to skip breakfast and/or lunch without experiencing low blood sugar symptoms such as feeling nervous or jittery, trembling, irritability, anxiousness, anger, confusion, difficulty thinking or an inability to concentrate. Eat little, healthy and often.

Also, heavy caffeine users need to know that (as strange as this sounds), nicotine doubles the rate by which caffeine is eliminated from the bloodstream. One cup of coffee, tea or one cola may now feel like two. While most caffeine users can handle a doubling of intake, consider a modest reduction of up to one-half if feeling anxious or irritable after using caffeine.

If your diet and health permit, drink some form of natural fruit juice for the first three days. Cranberry juice is excellent. It will aid in stabilizing blood sugar while accelerating removal of the alkaloid nicotine from your bloodstream.

quote:

If a smoker, you didn't continue destroying your body's ability to receive and transport life giving oxygen because you wanted to. You did so because a rising tide of withdrawal anxieties would begin to hurt when you didn't.

Contrary to convenience store tobacco marketing, we did not smoke for flavor or taste. In fact, there are zero taste buds inside human lungs. Contrary to hundreds of store "pleasure" signs, drug addiction isn't about seeking pleasure but about satisfying a brain "wanting" disorder.

Our mind's priorities disorder had most of us convinced that we liked or even loved smoking. But what basis did we have for making honest comparisons? Try hard to recall the calm inside your mind prior to getting hooked, going days, weeks and months without once having an urge or crave to smoke. You can't do it, can you? So what basis exists to make honest comparisons about liking the addicted you more than the free you? It isn't that we liked smoking but that we didn't like what happened when we didn't smoke, the onset of withdrawal.

quote:

Most of us convinced ourselves that we smoked to relieve stress when in reality our addiction intensified it. While nicotine is an alkaloid, stress, alcohol and vitamin C are each acid generating events that accelerate elimination of nicotine from the bloodstream. Stressful situations would often induce early withdrawal, forcing immediate nicotine replenishment. Replenishment's temporary silencing of our disease left us falsely convinced that smoking had relieved our stress, when all it had relieved was nicotine's absence and the onset of early withdrawal.

I particularly like the bold section. It's just like I've felt; I cannot remember what it felt like to not be addicted. I can't imagine life without it. It's sickening and insane.

nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake

Mein Eyes! posted:

Think of them as little penises.

Not all of us are straight men....

nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake
28 days today! Life is so much better. I went gum only, as needed. (Allergic to the patch and couldn't take chantix because of epilepsy.) I didn't follow the plan they have on the gum box, I just alternated between the 2mg and 4mg ones until I knew the gum was what was keeping me hooked.

If you are having any sort of dental problems, and you're a smoker, start paying to have your teeth fixed. When you're dropping $400+ dollars a month on your mouth you're going to be really ready to quit.

It was definitely the hardest thing I've ever done in my entire life, but making it to the end makes it all worth it, I promise. And not just in a, "Oh, I know this is making me healthier and I'm going to see the results in the long-term" way, but in an immediate and definable way. Imagine being able to go places and do things and not worry about when you're going to get your next fix. Imagine not trying to hide it from people. Not worrying about whether you stink, or whether that girl is still going to like you when she finds out. Your skin gets better, teeth whitening actually works and stays that way, you sleep better (eventually) because you aren't awakened by cravings or kept up by having "just one more". You really can smell things better (though it can be a little overwhelming at first!), do strenuous activities without being quite as winded, and having an appetite is not always a bad thing. Eating regularly is much healthier than not being hungry because you're smoking an appetite suppressant.

I also have a co-worker that used to smoke a few packs a day. He pointed out how quitting makes you just want to become more and more healthy. Because when you smoke it kind of seems like you always have this huge impediment, so there's no point in trying to work out or make your body better. But once you quit, it's like, "what's next?!" Giving up lovely food and bad habits is a cakewalk after giving up cigarettes. (This co-worker went from a multi-pack smoker who was hooked on uppers, ate fast food regularly and loved caffiene to a vegan, ripped, rock climber. And he says it all started with stopping smoking.)

nerdzrool fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 28, 2012

nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake
42 days. gently caress, life is so much better without cigarettes. I can jog quickly from one side of my work to the other without getting out of breath. IT'S AMAZING.

nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake
83 days today. My life is great. Filling in all of the time and energy I spent smoking means I ride my bike 4-10 miles a day, 3-5 days a week. Working out and losing weight. Feeling stomach muscles I've never felt in my whole life.

Quitting just put everything in perspective. Besides not dying early, I want to make the most of the time I do have. I could spend life encumbered by an addiction and a body type that I hate, or I can be healthy and break addictions to cigarettes AND food. Once the cigarette part was over everything else seems really easy.

edit: and the lung capacity felt like a bonus handicap (in a good way) for working out. Everything felt so easy after struggling to breath for so many years.

nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake
109 days cigarette free! Do I get a prize?

nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake

Tarranon posted:

Going to echo Alkaline here, I cannot stress how helpful exercising has been for me personally in staying off cigarettes.

Not only did it help me ditch the cravings when they got bad, but the gains I made in my exercise regimen after I stopped are also wonderful positive reinforcement.

Start running now, and if you're not completely out of shape at the moment, you can easily jump up to two miles after a week or two after having quit smoking.

I know you said you hate exercising, but it doesn't have to be horrible, I swear!

Stationary bicycling or real bicycling is also a great option. Much easier on your body, and doesn't feel "painful" the way running does.

Black Cat posted:

Over the past couple days I've been wearing the patch to work and I've developed a similar way of thinking. Smoking keeps me from my job, costs me money in tips not earned and tables not sharked, and pisses my management off when I'm not helping out. Also i stink when I come back inside. I can smoke after work without having to chief it down so I can get back inside and make sure no one is angry over my absence.

This is a big thing that helped me. Starting by not smoking at work eliminated half of my day's cigarettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake
Today is 1 year for me!

• Locked thread