Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

ThreeFish posted:

So! How are we doing, recent quitters? I'm at 6 days, 23 hours, 26 mins smoke-free. I have NOT smoked 139 cigs and I've saved about 25 bucks so far.

I'm still having pretty intense cravings when I just want to chuck it all and go have a smoke. I get through them, but I can be pretty cranky about it still.

I haven't cheated even once. I'm very proud of myself, but I really liked smoking. I miss it. I still want cigarettes badly.

Day 4 for me. (Quit Sunday night). So far, so good. I've been drunk every night though. (I'm substituting, but I'm not smoking, and I can live with that).

By the way, does anyone know if there's ever been an update to this list? http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/afterquitting/a/quitting20minut.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Long-term quitters, I have a question:

I can usually go a few weeks without smoking, but what always causes me to screw up is the feeling towards the end of the third week where I think "well, that wasn't so bad. But I don't really feel any different. So maybe smoking didn't affect me as badly as I thought it did."

Which then of course leads to me smoking a cigarette. Is this just a temporary phase? Do the benefits of higher energy/healthy feelings just take a while to kick in?

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

war on machines posted:

So I recently got sick, and now despite being recovered every time I try to smoke I feel like throwing up. If I ignore it and keep going, I will throw up. It seems like my body is actually forcing me to quit, because I don't know what the gently caress.

I am like constantly pissed off because I can't smoke and really badly want to, and I'm not sure if it's the nicotine or the smoke or what making me so ill, so I don't really wanna try the patch or whatever. Anyone know anything else that will make me crave less or be less angry?

Drink water. Sleep a lot. Wait about three days and it will begin to recede.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

croakey posted:

I've been free for 19 days! I really think I've done it!

:hfive:
16 myself and I'm feeling optimistic, too.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

I haven't had a cigarette in over three months. (I quit on January 4).

To be honest, it's been pretty easy. The first few days were a little weird and tense, but by the 10th day it became second nature to not smoke, and by the end of the first month I hardly thought about it.

These days, I find myself thinking about smoking perhaps once a week for about 20 seconds, but it's always vague. Less of an impulse and more of a sensation. I'm able to drink and get wasted on it without the thought of having a cigarette cross my mind. (And I'm someone who smoked and drank in bars for over 10 years).

For anyone considering quitting: if you're worried that you'll feel empty all the time, or that if you aren't smoking your life events won't be as meaningful, I have good news: the opposite seems to be the case.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Mad Monk posted:

Has anyone ever been successful at keeping this limit down without going back to being a full time smoker? or am I just kidding myself?

Anecdotally, there are some people who can maintain an infrequent and low level smoking habit for years, but someone who smoked a pack and a half for 14 years isn't one of them. You may be able to maintain this state for a while, but the nature of addiction means that you'll eventually give in and start smoking full time again.

If it helps, I found it easier to just quit outright. Less to think about, less to manage mentally, etc.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Bobx66 posted:

I quit mid pack which is a new one for me. I just broke all the cigarettes and tossed them in the trash. Pretty strong cravings at the moment. Ugh.

Am I the only one who would routinely* buy cigarettes, smoke a handful of them and then pour water in the pack because I was going to quit "the next day."

* I estimate I did this easily over 200 times in 10 years.

EDIT - I just checked, and it has been exactly 4 months to the day since I quit.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Steve Slavery posted:

I'm sure cutting down works for a lot of people but at least for me I had to do it cold turkey. The problem is my addiction, if I have one it's easier for me to have the next. Because I don't "need" cigs I can easily cut them out of my budget and just never buy them, that doesn't mean I haven't taken a few puffs here and there from friends since I quit how ever many months ago. For me just stopping it is easier short term than trying to exercise my self control...

Same. I tried the gradual method several times over the years, but it never stuck. In the end, it was way easier for me to quit cold turkey because I didn't have to spend time each day managing and obsessing over my cigarette intake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

• Locked thread