Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKS
Jan 31, 2005

I smoked for 10 years, with the last 6 being a pack a day. I read Carr's book and thought about all the topics deeply which caused sort of a paradigm shift. I am day 4 into quitting and it was super easy. Day 1 of quitting I went drinking and faced all the triggers at once and it wasn't tough. I know how ridiculous it sounds but. It really works but you wont believe me or the book until the paradigm shift happens to you. Its like when you have your first major breakup and you don't think anyone knows how you feel and you don't believe anyones advice until you cross over to the other side. I actually came up with a different take on Carr's theory which helped me more but I already feel preachy just 4 days in. However I will share my version of what Carr is saying and how it changed my mind if someone wants to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Cancer? expensive? Smells bad? Can't run? Most confirmed smokers don't give a poo poo about these things. Every cig can be enjoyable because were so used to pushing these negative thoughts away temporarily. The only reason that actually motivated me was that im tired of being a mental slave to cigarettes. A confirmed smoker's mind is preoccupied with THINKING about smoking. Can I sneak away to have a cig? Will people smell it? Will this place have a smoking section? I just had one ill wait 1 hour before my next, is it time yet? Maybe during this commercial ill step out. Do I have enough to last me through the night? You spend so much precious thought process on smoking instead od thinking about things to make life enjoyable. On top of all that smoking has literally no benefits. Whatever idea you have like it calms you down, think better, feels good man etc are all caused by the cigs themselves forming a vicious chain.

• Locked thread