Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
Saturday will be 5 weeks for me, besides one cheater at a bar a week in. I quit cold turkey, and it was maddening for me. I'd tried quitting a few times before, going as long as a month before relapsing, but I felt much more committed this time, like I actually wanted to quit for me and not because other people told me I should. I still get cravings, but they have decreased significantly since I quit. Gradually it's getting so I don't feel like I'm forgetting something important when I get in my car to drive, or wake up, or after eating, or after basically everything else I do during the day.

I smoked a pack a day or a little more for five years, and one of the hardest things for me is not smoking at work. One other guy at my office smokes, and we would go down about once an hour to smoke for about a year and a half. Before when I quit, I would feel guilty about leaving him out there alone, and he would pester me about being a quitter. Right before I quit this time though, I was sick for a couple days, and he seemed to believe me more when I told him I quit, and hasn't bothered me much since. I do miss the breaks, but I just try to distract myself with something else.

The other thing I've found to be very helpful is that my bank account's online management has a button you can click to transfer a pre-set amount to your savings account. I've set it to $5, the price I paid for a pack of smokes, and every day I don't smoke, I click it to reward myself. I think having a quantifiable way of measuring your progress like that is helpful, and it gives you something to shoot for like a new gadget or whatever else you'd like to buy, but can't afford to right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread