Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'm on day 5 with Chantix. In the state I live in they give you 2 months of it free if you go through the quit line. I have good faith this is going to work! I have a coach who has given me pointers and things I can do to get around the desire to smoke and the Chantix really is nipping the desire to smoke in the butt. Although today the cigarettes are starting to taste like complete rear end which I guess is part of it.

Only been smoking cigarettes for around 5 years now but I picked them up to curb a 10 year pot smoking habit. I'm psychologically addicted to the burning feeling of inhaling smoke and it's going to be tough to beat. I plan on continuing the use of Chantix for another 2 months after the 2 free ones are over through my insurance. So far in 5 days I've gone from smoking 14ish a day down to 5. My official quit day is Monday :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
My pot habits were out of control and I couldn't maintain a normal life style. I also had a major mental meltdown and was diagnosed with dysthymic disorder. My therapist and I found that pot was a major role in bringing me down so I tried to quit. Eventually I was smoking pot with cigarettes not because I wanted to quit pot but so my mother wouldn't notice I was smoking. At the time I was still living with her. Eventually mixing the two I was able to not smoke any pot... I went from a half oz of "dank" weed a day to nothing.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Hellwuzzat posted:

Don't fret the quit day too much. I think I smoked like 2-3 days past mine, but only like 1.5-2 each of those days. I'm not saying, "Oh, just keep smoking. That's how you quit!" I'm just saying don't get all lovely with yourself if you have a cigarette on Tuesday.

Stupid human tricks that helped me:
1. Brush your teeth after coffee and/or cigarettes.
2. When you find yourself thinking about smoking, take a deep breath and hold it. You'll have a fun headrush thing when you finally exhale, and you'll become aware of just how much your lung capacity is improving.

I actually got a list of things to do when I crave that seems to help a bunch. I haven't had a smoke since around 8PM now and only had 4 smokes today.

My coach gave me "The 4(5) Ds" to help with urges:
Delay - the urge to smoke will pass whether you smoke or not.
Deep breathe - take a deep breath, hold it for 2 seconds and repeat 5 times
Drink water - water helps evacuate nicotine out of the system which will help calm the urge
Do something to take your mind of smoking.
Divine power (lol this she gave me but it doesn't exist in any of the written literature. I'm guessing it was taken out due to religion and whatnot.)

So far just doing the deep breathing exercise or walking around the apartment complex takes my mind off smoking enough to not need it. If that doesn't work I pick up a book or video game and don't give in. I think my quit date won't be as big as I worry about. I'm more upset that currently I have a whole unopened pack and another that's only 3/4 empty because of how little I've been smoking. I'm going to throw $7 in the can on Monday and I hate burning up money. In the end I'll get $200 a month not smoking so whatever.

Although now that I'm done with today's dosage I'm 100% sure this drug makes cigarettes taste like complete poo poo. That's part of why I've smoked so little today. They taste AWFUL!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Been 3 days for me with no smokes. It actually isn't that bad. I have a few cravings daily but I get over them. I've found just removing me from whatever situation and engaging in something works best as I can concentrate on something else. Chantix is going fine - no crazy side effects aside from pooping some of the nastiest poo poo I've ever smelled. Dreams are fine, sleep is fine and I don't want to kill myself yet.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
As of today it has been 1 month with no cigarette!

I quit taking chantix because I started having crazy dreams and didn't like it. I also got an e-cigarette that has 0 nicotine in it which has helped immensly. I can go to a bar and get completely poo poo faced with 0 worry about relapsing with this thing. PLUS it has the added benefit that I am smoking cheesecake & vanilla flavors so bitches love my poo poo they all like o flyboi blow some more of that smog overe here I'M STARVIN FOR YO BAKED GOODS! :quagmire:

but no seriously, it isn't as offensive and totally rules.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Wanted to come back and provide an update.. 3 months no smoking! I think I'm good for the long haul now :)

It was hard at first because smoking was still allowed in bars and restaurants here. I had to quit taking Chantix because it gave me bad dreams and I didn't want it to get worse. I substituted with an electronic cigarette that had 0mg nicotine which worked great until the ban went through. Haven't used the ecig in over 3 weeks now and only relapsed 1.1 times. Was wasted at a conference and had a cigarette 2 months ago and had a single puff of a cigarette twice when the ban wasn't in affect.

Edit: what's even greater is my partner now is thinking about quitting smoking after seeing me do it and is working with the quit line. A friend of mine as well has mustered the will to try himself. Hooray!

flyboi fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 22, 2010

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

electricsugar posted:

I would say it's love of the feeling. Like I mentioned above, Its hard to imagine ever not wanting to have that feeling. Is this just the addiction talking?

Will it actually go away with time? I don't know because I've never been able to stay quit for more than a week :smith:

Being someone that was a daily pot smoker who substituted w/ cigarettes to quit smoking yes it does get better over time. I too loving love the feeling of my lungs burning, holding it in and then watching the cloud build above my head. I smoked weed from 14-23ish daily starting age 17 and got up to around a half ounce a day in my roughest period. Started smoking cigarettes to quit weed and was at around 14-20 a day.

The only time I really really really crave a cigarette anymore is when I'm drunk and they're around me or when I'm bored and not doing anything. I fight these urges and they go away after a few minutes. It was extremely bad when smoking was allowed in bars because it's right in your face and you can smell it and taste it. Now that it's out of sight I rarely even crave at bars.

It's a matter of getting over the initial hump of the nicotine addiction and then the oral fixation. I highly suggest giving an e-cig a whirl in your situation. It completely helped me in curbing my need to feel my lungs cry after I was over the initial nicotine withdrawal.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

electricsugar posted:

It seems to me like e-cigs just prolong the nicotine addiction even longer. Isn't that what we're trying to quit?

The liquid I was using had no nicotine in it so I was just smoking flavored fog machine smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Try number.... I forget?

At least this time I get to pretend I'm a Jedi while I wean myself with an e-cig.

• Locked thread