Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face
I'm on Day 2 of quitting after being a smoker for almost 22 years. It loving sucks. My PCP recommended taking Welbutrin for 3 months (I started taking it 7 days before quitting) and I'm on the 7mg patch. This better get easier soon. All I want to do is cry all the time. And eat red velvet cake.

My plan is to take tomorrow off from work and sleep all day. This whole being awake bullshit makes it so much harder. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

hooliganesh posted:

How about a status update? A thread such as this one needs to keep going, especially if I'm going to go through with my threat of quitting (for good) after smoking for ~24 years.
Sorry it's been well over a month but I forgot about this thread and really hope you see this post, hooliganesh! I think I've hit the 10 week mark now. I've been trying to not dwell on not smoking so I try not to think or talk about it often. The stress of the holidays is getting me down a bit and makes me want to buy a pack but I know I won't. gently caress that.

Of course, I've gained 12 lbs since quitting. That's the only somewhat negative thing to come of quitting. After the new year I'll go back to a healthy diet but for now, I'm still cheating and eating bad here and there as a replacement for cigarettes. The weight will come off. It's more important to be a cool-rear end nonsmoker.

If you haven't quit already, I have to recommend the course I took with my PCP - picking a quit day 7 days out and taking Welbutrin for those 7 days prior to quitting and then start the patch on your quit day. I'm not saying that just because it worked for me, everyone should do it but I do feel when you've smoked for 20+ years, going cold turkey is very bad. I had lovely side effects from the Welbutrin but plowed through and am still on it now. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure HOW it works and I really don't care.

Also some other tips I used:

- tell friends, family, pets, etc. that you're quitting and ask for their support - you'll get it;

- the day before you quit, get rid of all ashtrays, get your car detailed (if you smoke in your car) and rearrange as much of your furniture in your house as possible;

- if you take smoke breaks at work at specific times, replace it with something else. Anything. I replace my breaks with sitting at my desk and taking deep breaths while thinking about my lungs healing. Sounds queer but it works for me;

- reward yourself every day for not smoking.

All of these things have probably been discussed in this thread but I don't think they can be discussed enough. I hope people who are thinking about quitting can use them.

Last thought on the matter - smoking loving STINKS. I can't believe I was a gross, stinky person for the majority of my life. I can smell what clothes smell like now after being in a smokey bar and, drat, now I understand what my nonsmoking friends always complained about!!

Edit: And good luck too all of you who are quitting/have quit recently. It gets easier with every passing hour. :)

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Wingless posted:

I smoked for about ten years, close to a pack a day towards the end. Quit once for about nine months, which ended with a very spontaneous "You know what, gently caress it, I love smoking and I'm going to start again."

Here's the thing though: I love smoking. I really really do.
I've been smoking for almost 25 years and am going cold turkey tonight. I quit for 7 months a few years ago (could probably find my posts in this thread) and also said "gently caress it, I love smoking and am going to start again" when my cat passed away. Stupid mistake but this time, I'm in it for real. I think I will always love smoking but I think loving my body and being the healthiest I can be has to take precedent. :)

Unlike last time, I'm only telling my close friends and colleagues and not making a "big deal" out of it. I'm giving myself a 3 day weekend so I can hopefully sleep thru most of the nicotine withdrawal/psychological issues. From doing research on going cold turkey, I know to drink juice regularly for the first few days to keep my blood sugar normal. Nicotine is not going to mess with me this time. Dammit.

• Locked thread