Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Anyone have tips/seen a good guide for trading? "Buy low sell high" alone isn't doing much for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
There's a great steam guide that I used when learning, the guy shows which basic materials are produced where (almost all hogs come out of the NW for example, so they sell well the farther east and south you go), where the materials are consumed, and a general route of where to go and what to buy. I assume it's still in date but either way it's a good general look at the spread of goods across the whole geography.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Link?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Here's the guide I used, it's pretty useful and has good practical knowledge for a route at the bottom.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2042902036

Here's another one I also referenced with prices but I'm not sure how up to date it is with all the changes. Also if you play with any sort of prosperity controlling mods; the prices will drastically change over time if towns are actually allowed to increase/decrease naturally rather then go into death spirals.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2052391201

For me with trading, the South to North route is much more profitable then North to South. I feel Ores and Furs have less profit margin then a lot of the southern exports (horses and regional foods). I haven't done a good East/West route but I feel it would take too long for the profit involved.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Enigma posted:

The one time I made peace it cost me 30k calradiabux and before I was a horses length out the front gate of the place I had negotiated peace they declared war again.

SCAMMED

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Children are not properly implemented yet. 5 of my 19 kids (lot of sieges that Were boring, dont give me that look) are now grown-ups. Everyone has 0 on all attributes, level between 11 and 20, skills capped around 10 and at -500 skill points to next level.

Shame, was already excited to start a family horde.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It would be cool if they would start in your clan, but those that were not designed heir would have possibility of creating a new clan.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Valtonen posted:

Children are not properly implemented yet. 5 of my 19 kids (lot of sieges that Were boring, dont give me that look) are now grown-ups. Everyone has 0 on all attributes, level between 11 and 20, skills capped around 10 and at -500 skill points to next level.

Shame, was already excited to start a family horde.

I mean, you have a horde, it's just that they're all really terrible. Go forth and recreate the calradia hapsburgs.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
What are some good modpacks if you're running windows 7 and still playing warband?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

DreadLlama posted:

What are some good modpacks if you're running windows 7 and still playing warband?

I've been playing the latest Warsword Chronicles (Winds of Magic) mod and it is chock full of warhammer radness.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

tylertfb posted:

I've been playing the latest Warsword Chronicles (Winds of Magic) mod and it is chock full of warhammer radness.

how do you keep it from constantly crashing

Aaravos
May 9, 2020

by Cyrano4747
They really need to fix the bug where lords summoned to your army (who haven't yet joined up with your forces) calculate their winning odds based on the total troops in your army rather than their party, and beeline for enemy parties twice their size while on the way to meet up with you.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I really enjoy parking my army in front of a city without sieging it and having each party come out at me one at a time so certain their twenty guys are going to dunk all over my 300 elite troops.

The back up never came.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Washout posted:

how do you keep it from constantly crashing

It mostly crashes during siege battles in really detailed cities (the wood elf ones with all the trees are prime culprits) so I quick save always before them (F12) and then when I have a crashy one I either skip it, or play it with minimum battle size and magic disabled in sieges (option in the camp menu) and that seems to work.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Parallelwoody posted:

I really enjoy parking my army in front of a city without sieging it and having each party come out at me one at a time so certain their twenty guys are going to dunk all over my 300 elite troops.

The back up never came.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Parallelwoody posted:

The back up never came.

I had the reverse happen to me today. I had an army of 500 rolling up to an army of 900 chasing a friendly army of 700. I caught up to the 900 expecting the 700 to be in range and join, but they didn't. So I had to fight 900 on 500. I won, but lost virtually my entire army in the process.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Has anyone ever won a siege defense? The cost of maintaining a big enough garrison to actually hold against a 1000+ siege stack is untenable as far as I can tell.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I'm going back to warband with silverstag since I don't wanna shell out for Bannerlord just yet. I've got a decent stack of 100 dudes or so with some good companions and I've bought a few enterprises for keeping my money up along with a merc contract is making me money. I'm thinking about eventually installing a pretender, and I'm not sure its worth it to snag a fief, especially since I'm playing as a woman and have a harder time getting in. Is there something I should be doing other than just looting like mad as a merc and running petty guild missions/tournaments between wars?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

GruntyThrst posted:

Has anyone ever won a siege defense? The cost of maintaining a big enough garrison to actually hold against a 1000+ siege stack is untenable as far as I can tell.

In Warband? Yes, but often in cheesy ways like standing at the top of the ladder bonking every idiot that comes up with a two handed hammer.

In Bannerlord, it's really really hard and I've yet to see a successful siege defense. It seems to be poorly balanced to the point where you only need a mild
numerical advantage to take a castle. It doesn't need to be realistic, as needing 10 to 1 or more to successfully assault would be a slog, but they need to find a way to make it harder for the attackers

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

GruntyThrst posted:

The last time I even had one come up was many patches ago but I won pretty handily because I managed to find a little niche where I could wail on the stream of AI attackers with a polearm warband style. That said, I noticed that my archers were largely doing jack poo poo. In warband, even if all I did was dump T2-3 archers into as garrison, I would clobber attackers if I was physically present. The siege AI overall looks better but it definitely doesn't give advantages that make any kind of sense wrt the troops and defenses involved.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Bannerlord AI also doesn't automatically take positions on the rampart either iirc

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Even if you have archers on the walls they won't take a proper firing line.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
One thing to remember in Bannerlord's siege defenses is that you can still give orders to your troops. This is important because if you just let them go with default behavior then like half your infantry will just sit passively in a square behind the gate and not do anything other than get surrounded and massacred. When the enemies get on the walls or through the gates then you kinda need to alternate ordering the infantry to charge so they actually fight and follow the sergeants again so they don't run outside the walls. It's stupid and unintuitive that you have to do this but it does make it possible to win defensive sieges.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've had similar situation: 500 attackers, 300 defenders, I was headshotting fools left and right and didn't notice the walls were overwhelmed. Got downed pretty soon afterwards. Started pretty good, archers downed couple dozen attackers manning the ram, then probably something stupid happened with defender AI, because when I attack I can get very one-sided losses to my troops scaling the walls.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah the sieges need a lot of work. I had a really close siege of about 550 vs 450 at Omor that I was expecting to lose (I was with the attackers and figured this was a chance to get a city as my first fief since I was the only noble with 0 fiefs). Eventually when it was down to about 60 vs 120, my attackers had the walls secured but then they couldn't figure out how to get to the enemy shield wall which was sitting just inside the gates as they normally do. My guys all clumped together in the gatehouse and one by one started falling through a hole in the floor, then either dying from fall damage or rushing into the shield wall on their own. I thought I was playing Lemmings.

The last 30 or so attackers were just completely stuck. It was a good thing I had the mod enabled that let you play as your companions after you die. I ended up winning by just stabbing every last defender in the back with a spear while they barely reacted. It took ages. And then Caladog took the fief for himself.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

bees everywhere posted:

And then Caladog took the fief for himself.

Down with kings, I say. They're all greedy bastards.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

They've got to do more to slow down how fast kingdoms replenish armies. My current game is a forever stalemate between me, a Vlandian vassal, and the Western empire. My villages get raided by the same 2 guys *every day*. I'll swat one down, then while I'm going to town to sell stuff the other starts raiding. So I turn around, swat that guy, then turn around to go back to town and the first guy is already back.

Also the rest of Vlandia wastes all our troops trying to invade eastern Sturgia, but their armies invariable collapse before they can take anything. So I can't ever make any ground in the south, and every time I manage to snap up an army and take a town Garios is there the next day with a thousand stack to take it back. :(
Meanwhile the Kuzhait hordes are eating the eastern half of the map uncontested, pretty sure this game is already over because it'd take an alliance of all the other nations to match them.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I did a couple hours of horse archer only army, and it's beyond broken on easy. As long as enemy army isn't half crossbows then I can take on twice as many enemies and maybe get a couple of dudes wounded. With parity in numbers I rarely lose anyone. I'm not even sure if it's worth it to update to the highest tier troops.
And because of crazy speed I can siege a city for a moment, then break siege and pick off the enemies one by one. Crazy, cathartic fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

alex314 posted:

I did a couple hours of horse archer only army, and it's beyond broken on easy. As long as enemy army isn't half crossbows then I can take on twice as many enemies and maybe get a couple of dudes wounded. With parity in numbers I rarely lose anyone. I'm not even sure if it's worth it to update to the highest tier troops.
And because of crazy speed I can siege a city for a moment, then break siege and pick off the enemies one by one. Crazy, cathartic fun.

Upgrade to the highest troops and take on armies 4 times your size with maybe 1 or 2 losses. Welcome to the Jam.