Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
Quick question: I'm looking at cars right now and came across a good deal on a 2008 9-3 2.0T Sport. It doesn't have the navigation system, but is it possible to just slot in a navigation unit myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

Quick question: I'm looking at cars right now and came across a good deal on a 2008 9-3 2.0T Sport. It doesn't have the navigation system, but is it possible to just slot in a navigation unit myself?

It'd be retardedly expensive and far less use than just a TomTom. In many cases, factory GPS actually lowers your resale value.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
Oh ok, anything else I should know about the car then?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

Oh ok, anything else I should know about the car then?

Good mileage and handling, most of the bugs worked out (6 years into the model life, one year after a small refresh). Bits of trim present a problem after a while, but that's all the problem I ever had with my '06.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
I test drove the 9-3 yesterday, not too bad, thinking about purchasing it. It has about 12k miles and it's going for 19k, I plan to try and talk him down.

I also flipped through the thread and

Sabmo posted:

jesus christ those are nice seats.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande
Oh hai guys.

Evidently trolling a lovely Three Olives in GBS is twice as bad as posting hateful comments and making really creepy remarks about loving videya game characters. :haw:

Notgothic posted:

My '99 9-3's alarm battery seems to be going kaputski (Hell, maybe this is the second alarm/set of batteries; the previous owner didn't mention it but it's old enough that I wouldn't be shocked at this point), and now the car starts freaking out if she gets too hot. This is kind of a problem, since this summer has been unreasonably hot.

Need more information - is it just 'going off' at random times? Are you getting a 'service alarm' on the SID? What exactly is it (not) doing? You're going to be in just as much for the work to replace the batteries as you are to attempt to do anything with the alarm itself.

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

I test drove the 9-3 yesterday, not too bad, thinking about purchasing it. It has about 12k miles and it's going for 19k, I plan to try and talk him down.

So, what happened with the 9-3?

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

ssh posted:

So, what happened with the 9-3?
Just bought it!

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

Just bought it!

2k8 buddies! :shobon::respek::mmmhmm:

Need pics!

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
bros :respek:

Pics coming tomorrow or Monday, depending on when I pick it up. It's black on black and looks positively evil.

Bitcoin Billionaire fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 30, 2010

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

ssh posted:

Need more information - is it just 'going off' at random times? Are you getting a 'service alarm' on the SID? What exactly is it (not) doing? You're going to be in just as much for the work to replace the batteries as you are to attempt to do anything with the alarm itself.

It's weird, the "service alarm" warning only comes on when the alarm is randomly going off, which only happens when the car gets "too" hot (95+, sitting in direct sun). What I've seen on the various saab sites indicates that it's probably the alarm battery running down and getting cranky, since it has about a 5-year lifespan.

My time is definitely worth less than my money right now, so going in and soldering new batteries into the alarm module (instead of buying a new alarm) doesn't bother me. But if all I have to do is disconnect the module entirely and the car will still run, I'm all in favor of that option too.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

Notgothic posted:

It's weird, the "service alarm" warning only comes on when the alarm is randomly going off, which only happens when the car gets "too" hot (95+, sitting in direct sun). What I've seen on the various saab sites indicates that it's probably the alarm battery running down and getting cranky, since it has about a 5-year lifespan.

My time is definitely worth less than my money right now, so going in and soldering new batteries into the alarm module (instead of buying a new alarm) doesn't bother me. But if all I have to do is disconnect the module entirely and the car will still run, I'm all in favor of that option too.

Ok, your battery /is/ dying - but it's only registering as super low when it's going off. Do you have the 'chirp' turned on, or off? The 'chirp' will kill the lifespan of your alarm by a huge margin. If you have a friendly/nearby dealer who will do it for free, ask them to hook it up to the Tech2 and have them turn that off. That'll give you some time time.

If it's doing it in the extreme heat now, I wonder if you've mostly got a bad connection that is tripping it off by losing ground; I'm not sure about the '99 9-3, but the 2K 9-5 had some great kinks in the wires that'd eventually screw no end of things up w/ the trunk release and alarm.

I don't have WIS or a schematic available for your car - I'd suggest hopping over to SaabNet chat (it's free) in about 4-5 hours. Some mech should show up there and be able to help you with routing and troubleshooting that wiring.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande
To follow up:

Take it out, rip it out and replace the batteries. Mike doesn't think you've got bad wiring, just batt low as it is only flashing service alarm when it's going off. Lucky bastard.

Edit: TIMG'd.

Sabmo
May 7, 2009

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

jesus christ those are nice seats.

That photo doesn't do them justice either; 9000 Aero seats are truly a work of art.

Apart from looking amazing, they're still the most comfortable and supportive car seats I've sat in to date. I'm sure anyone else that's sat in a good set of them will back me up on that. To come from a car that is 15+ years old now, well that just makes them all that much more impressive. Here have a brochure shot.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
The alarm in my 9-5 wagon also goes of once in a while, but only for a few seconds. I get service alarm on the SID almost every time I start the car. I pulled the alarm to replace the caps/batteries, but the caps have been done and the batteries read 3V. I resoldered the joints and put it back in. No change.

Any other suggestions, or do I have to pay to get a Tech2 scan done? Also, I believe they can turn off the shift up light off with the tech2, is that true?

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

blindjoe posted:

The alarm in my 9-5 wagon also goes of once in a while, but only for a few seconds. I get service alarm on the SID almost every time I start the car. I pulled the alarm to replace the caps/batteries, but the caps have been done and the batteries read 3V. I resoldered the joints and put it back in. No change.

You're still going to want to replace the batteries. I'd suggest you check for cold solders, but, you've already done this.

The good news is you can have your shift up light disabled when you get your system scanned. Except for it to be hooked up on life support for about 2-3 hours while diagnostics are completely run. If you want to save some time (and expense), make drat sure your battery is fully charged - it will NOT perform some tasks with a low battery. Might as well check to make sure you have the latest T-7 firmware, and if not, have them flash it while you're there.

Sabmo posted:

That photo doesn't do them justice either; 9000 Aero seats are truly a work of art.

Look familiar? Rumor is they were based on 'Pigs in Space' seats - which, whether true or not, is just purely awesome. I'm partial to the first generation 9-5 seat, but I've never been able to sit in a 'not completely worn to hell' 9000 seat. :(

ssh fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 31, 2010

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sabmo posted:

Apart from looking amazing, they're still the most comfortable and supportive car seats I've sat in to date. I'm sure anyone else that's sat in a good set of them will back me up on that.
Backing you up on that. They're unbelievably good.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
I take back every second I've spent making GBS threads on SAABs. I love this car. Bork bork bork. Pics soon.

Bitcoin Billionaire fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 31, 2010

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Black 9-3 you say? Sounds like it could be a looker.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

I take back every second I've spent making GBS threads on SAABs. I love this car. Bork bork bork. Pics soon.

Someone's driving around with a dopey loving grin. :q::hf::q:

Whenever you get home, we wanna see.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Black 9-3 you say? Sounds like it could be a looker.

They are beautiful.. but in the desert - the sand and the heat :gonk:

Caught myself staring down an '07 black Aero at my indy/parts place, and just admiring how it looked.

After snapping a few pictures and checking the side profile to see how much lower/different it was compared to the standard T, I saw the owner sitting inside the car - on her phone. :ohdear:

ssh fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 1, 2010

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
[question about replacing antenna mast]

localized posted:

I did it in my '96, and its quite easy. You need to unbolt the plastic cover around the trunk latch including the cargo tie-down. If your car has the 6 disc changer you need to unbolt the bracket too. You also need to do what Captain Crunk said and take the cover off the rear speaker and the trim around it. I'm sure you could do it without removing the speaker crap but it would be a pain to try and stick the carpet back in there.

So you were right, easiest is to remove the plastic cover around the trunk latch and cargo tie-downs. As it turns out, everything between the 9-3 and NG900 is the same as far as this repair is concerned.

I've labeled the bolts needed, for posterity:

Green are Torx T-25. The right most one is actually the hinge post for the cargo cover.

Red is a 10mm plastic hex bolt that helps hold down the carpet liner.

Blue is 12/13mm hex, something like that. It's brass and doesn't seem to be torqued on that tight. You need to unbolt the opposite side bolt, too, of course. Once those are off, you can pop off the plastic cover. This is held down by 4 clips on the underside of the top flat piece of the cover. Take a look at this piece before you remove it and remember the relative position of things. The cover goes under the access panel for the spare and under the rubber weather seal along the hatch opening.

Now, I didn't actually have to access the antenna motor, if it weren't for a leverage issue. Here's the design of the antenna mast:

This is actually the old broken one. Some valets drove too quickly under one of those lifting arm gates and bent it. The telescoping mast and plastic cable are one unit. You can't pull the cable out by accident -- that would be making the unit unusable. So it follows that the antenna can only pull in the mast so much -- eventually the base of the mast will retract down and jam against something (a little plate before the reel part of the motor). But what about the other direction? As the motor unwinds, the cable will push the mast up and up and up. The cable is longer than it needs to be, so in theory the whole mast could be pushed out of the motor and housing. This is prevented by the the metal sleeve, in the following way.

This isn't the Saab unit, but close enough:
http://www.antennamastsrus.com/Honda/39179SM4A02%20Tube.jpg
The sleeve slides into the end with the brass threading. The lip keeps the sleeve from going in any deeper. Then, a nut screws down onto the brass threading. It narrows in such a way as to push the lip down. So fully screwed, the nut keeps the sleeve from moving. From the labeled picture, you can see that the mast can't slide past the bottom of the sleep. Thus, when the motor pushes up, it is eventually opposed by the bottom of the mast hitting the bottom of the sleeve.

Ok, blah blah blah. My problem was that the old sleeve was frozen/corroded into place. The way the antenna broke, I couldn't get enough grip with pliers to pull it out of the top of the housing. So I was forced to open things up and take the whole housing out. After isolating the shaft that goes around the mast and sleeve, I just poked the sleeve and mast out from the other side.

Thesaabsite instructions said to reuse the old sleeve, as the OEM sleeve is nice and strong. Mine (the one picture) must not have been OEM because it was paper think and deformed way too easily.

So if you had to open up the carpet, you'll have to put it back. the trickiest part is at the back of the speaker. You need to get the carpet edge, which is L-shaped, under the white interior panel, but above some body metal underneath that. After fiddling carefully with a screwdriver, I was able to get things to line up right.

You can use a screwdriver to carefully pull the weather seal over the carpet around the hatch opening, too. I was extra anal and did it with my fingers just to be on the safe side.

e: I didn't finish my thought -- if you can pull the mast and sleeve out the top (once you've screwed the nut that holds down the sleeve and rubber seal, then thesaabsite's guide is right -- you definitely don't have to disassemble anything else. Once you have the old antenna mast, cable, and sleeve out, you're ready to put the new one in. start the car to On, and the motor will try to push the antenna out (it's not there). Then off and pull the key out. Now the motor will retract. Have a friend push the cable down until it catches on the reel. It goes in kind of quickly! The next step is to very quickly guide the sleeve and base of mast into the hole. The cable will keep pulling and retract most of the antenna. If you hear some grinding from the motor, that's ok. It's the only way the car knows to give up. Repeat this a couple times and the car will learn how much it needs to spool out and in. The sleeve might get tight and not go all the way in. If you can get it within a cm, then screwing on the nut will take care of the rest. Don't bend the sleeve cuz then it'll grind against the mast.
Technically, you can install the new antenna by yourself, but you have to be full of vim like I am :colbert:

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 1, 2010

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

ssh posted:

You're still going to want to replace the batteries. I'd suggest you check for cold solders, but, you've already done this.

The good news is you can have your shift up light disabled when you get your system scanned. Except for it to be hooked up on life support for about 2-3 hours while diagnostics are completely run. If you want to save some time (and expense), make drat sure your battery is fully charged - it will NOT perform some tasks with a low battery. Might as well check to make sure you have the latest T-7 firmware, and if not, have them flash it while you're there.

Couple of hours? blarg.

Oh well, I guess a few hundred bux is better then the alarm going off once in a while.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

:smug:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

That looks slick, congratulations. A neighbour of mine has one of those (though not black) and every time I walk past it in the parking lot I feel a slight pang of jealousy.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

:smug:

I love my '06 but drat if I don't also love the re-style job they did for the later models. That Aero-X style front is awesome looking.

But you get the GM radio stack instead of my awesome flight panel interior :smug:

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

blindjoe posted:

Couple of hours? blarg.

Oh well, I guess a few hundred bux is better then the alarm going off once in a while.

I forgot how goddamn obnoxious they were until early AM when I accidentally toggled my slug and locked myself in the car, and forgot to deactivate it when I started digging in the back seat. Everyone on my block got a nice 7am wake up call today. :q:

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

I really adore the Turbo X restyled grille - it just looks mean.

I think I got your fortune cookie:

Hagetaka posted:

I love my '06 but drat if I don't also love the re-style job they did for the later models. That Aero-X style front is awesome looking.

If you got a 9-5, nobody would know it was an '06 - it could have been last year's model. :smith:

localized
Mar 30, 2008

Sabmo posted:

Do you or anyone else know if the 9000 seats will bolt into an NG900? My front seats are torn up and I have another pair that are in great condition from a parts car, but my rear end wants to be in those seats.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

ssh posted:

To follow up:

Take it out, rip it out and replace the batteries. Mike doesn't think you've got bad wiring, just batt low as it is only flashing service alarm when it's going off. Lucky bastard.

Edit: TIMG'd.

Thanks! That explains why I couldn't find the alarm module when I went hunting for it last weekend, I was looking where the 9-5 has it (in the front of the wheel well).

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

localized posted:

Do you or anyone else know if the 9000 seats will bolt into an NG900? My front seats are torn up and I have another pair that are in great condition from a parts car, but my rear end wants to be in those seats.
Nope - at least not without modification. I gave my old non-Aero 9000 seats to a buddy with an NG900 and they didn't fit.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

Hagetaka posted:

But you get the GM radio stack instead of my awesome flight panel interior :smug:
Yeah this is my biggest knock on the car so far. Thinking about looking into new head units + stereos.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Some further rumours/speculation about Saab building a BMW Mini-based 9-2. Sounds sensible to me (if there's any truth in it), can't really blame Saab for wanting to minimize development costs and it seems like a solid platform to build a small car on, despite the fact that I've never been a big fan of the Mini. Article also include some tidbits about Victor Muller wanting to build some manner of sporty 9-3 based thing inspired by the 1966 Sonett. Just try to ignore the hideous rendering.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/254998/saab_bmw_to_build_92.html#ixzz0vRp5l99f

argh spelling

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 2, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Mini is cool other than the god awful interior.

Learned today that Saab will be redoing the engine lineup and making some minor cosmetic changes to the 9-3 which is still going to languish in No New Platform Hell. :geno:

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
First question about my 08 9-3:

There are make call / end call buttons on the steering wheel. Are those for OnStar (which I haven't subscribed to) or is there some hidden Bluetooth integration feature that I haven't figured out yet?

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Learned today that Saab will be redoing the engine lineup and making some minor cosmetic changes to the 9-3 which is still going to languish in No New Platform Hell. :geno:

All I see is 'basically nothing but a few tweaks for 2011' via AutoBlog, which is where I assume you read this. Well, no poo poo?

Rumors are of a hatchback returning, but I'n not surprised about the lack of a new platform for this directly-next model year. Spyker just doesn't have the resources.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Oh to be clear I am not expecting a new platform any time soon and definitely understand the reasons for that. However, not having a new platform is going to be really damaging the longer that situation continues.

AB made it sound like they were dropping the six as well.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oh to be clear I am not expecting a new platform any time soon and definitely understand the reasons for that. However, not having a new platform is going to be really damaging the longer that situation continues.

Ah. Well, truth be told, Spyker/SAAB just isn't setup for that?

They're probably going to have to get whomever they decide to use for the platform - produce the cars for them. GM sold the old 9-5 design and gear to the Chinese, and Trollhattan is setup for the new 9-5, but that's it, as far as I know.

I'm sure that's why they would be interested in making a fuglier mini, if nothing else, to show they are producing something, even though they can't make it themselves. I just don't think anyone assumed they could just abandon the Epsilon platform so quickly? Not going to claim that I am not disappointed, myself, but..

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ssh posted:

w they are producing something, even though they can't make it themselves.

Oh you mean the 9-3 isn't going to move over to the all aluminum mid-ship platform that the C8 rides on? :downs:

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

kimbo305 posted:

Oh you mean the 9-3 isn't going to move over to the all aluminum mid-ship platform that the C8 rides on? :downs:

Nah man, GM sold it, like, a long time ago.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

ssh posted:

GM sold the old 9-5 design and gear to the Chinese, and Trollhattan is setup for the new 9-5, but that's it, as far as I know.

I bet the Chinese made 9-5's glove box doesn't double as a cooler and they don't have air conditioned seats. :smug:

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190466

What I did this weekend: Fuel pump edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ssh posted:

Nah man, GM sold it, like, a long time ago.

I realized that this convo was taking place outside the Saab :smith: thread, so that thread is even more :smith:

I hope Spyker finds a way to update the platform without throwing all their design and engineering efforts at it. I'm completely ok with their perpetuating the Saab brand as means to keep building Spykers, but if they do it the wrong way, both birds are flying off.