Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Saab thread, a guy wants to trade me a 1994 Saab 9000 Aero for my rather janky Datsun 280ZX (runs kind of poorly, probably needs a new diff too). I haven't driven it. It looks acceptable in the pictures. He says "oil is leaking slowly through one of the exhaust manifold bolts and the fuel pump checkball has failed, so it takes a second to fill the fuel system before it turns over." but also "new performance clutch, new CV's, new water pump, new radiation, new clutch master & slave, valve surfaces cleaned up". Says he's not really into Saabs and wants a Datsun instead.

I know gently caress-all about Saabs but if I can't get cash for the 280ZX I'm considering taking the trade, driving it for a little while, and then trying to sell it. I'm only asking $1k for the Datsun so I wouldn't have to get much out of it. Given that oil leak, though, should I run far far away and never look back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

If the leak is just a weep I wouldn't worry about it. Finding any car of that age in that price range without a small leak is pretty rare in my experience.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Old Binsby posted:

e. last last question
the big one actually
do these older 900s have the black panel dashboard button feature???

That came with the 900 "NG", so from 1994 on. It was also in the 9-5, but not in the 9000.

E:

Pham Nuwen posted:

"oil is leaking slowly through one of the exhaust manifold bolts"

If it only appears to be coming "through a bolt", it has to be oil from somewhere else that just happens to be passing by, and if that's the case it cannot really be that bad. Can't think of anything that could leak above the exhaust manifold except the valve cover gasket, which is cheap and simple to fix. Though on Saabs, especially turbo ones, almost any oil-related problem can be blamed on the PCV, so if the leak annoys you just replace that first.

If you want to get rid of the Datsun anyway, and a Saab appeals to you and seems to run, do it.

ionn fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 28, 2018

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Old Binsby posted:

Last question: not sure whether that's a local thing or not, a rusty to decent 900 from 1985-1990 will cost around 1250 to 5000 EUR around here, whereas I can literally find dozens of 9-3's for under 800-1000 EUR in good visual condition, most of them having recently passed their yearly inspection. So they're not legally broken currently but I'm still puzzled whether those will fall apart rapidly in the near future -- or are they just 'worth' that little? That seems insane

I had a 1999 9-3 Convertible, so maybe not the best frame of reference. Mechanically it seemed ok. I didn't have any drive train reliability concerns although the manual transmission was crunchy as hell. I suspect the syncro was shot. The only way to guarantee smooth shifting into 3rd was to double clutch. I have a hunch the 900s would probably hold together better. Structurally, it felt like someone chopped apart a hatchback with a Sawzall with zero fucks given to structural integrity. I suspect the non-convertibles are much more solid.

My personal hunch about the values, is that the 900s go for more has as much to do with them being the last "real" Saab before GM got involved whereas the 9-3 was the first with GM's involvement, in addition to being built better.
My 1999 still had enough WTF weirdness, I'd say it held on to plenty of the Saab uniqueness (the way the suspension was put together made it a pain to work on, at least for me). There were definitely a lot of bits GM seemed to cheap out on (HVAC control rod comes to mind).

I donated that one and bought a 2005 9-3 Linear sedan to replace it. That one is even less Saab-ish, but for me, it has been reliable and fun. Also, at $2,400 for a single owner example with 95,000 miles on the odo and a manual, I couldn't say no.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Man oh Man oh Man.
Whilst scheduling an oil change with the Saab guys, I mentioned that I was still having hesitation and bad mileage but no CEL.
Had replaced MAF, DIC, plugs, no real improvement. ~18mpg for last year.
He suggested I get the Catalytic Converter checked for backpressure. Sure enough it needs replacing.
It's getting replaced now and potentially my year and a half of driving with a problem will be over!
BTW, ~$475 acceptable for decent (looking) shop doing it?
Buds Muffler 10th & Santa Fe

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Runs way better now, will see if it holds up over a tank of gas. Went from 17.6 mpg to 22 so that is about right.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Finally took some time to look and dig into why my cruise control would turn on but not set.
Turns out the car is straight up missing the clutch pedal return spring:

The clutch itself has no issue pushing the pedal back out, just not enough to fully depress the clutch position switch.
If I pull the pedal up, I can set the cruise, so yay!

New spring and clip on the way for $40.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Oil change, new rotors & pads on back. $366

Only thing not working is cruise control now. Automatic trans so I"m guessing the clutch pedal return spring is not going to be the issue.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Think I'm gonna detail the STX up and take it to Cruisin' the Coast this year. WIth one of those kinda-for-sale-what-the-hell-worth-a-shot signs. I'm fine owning it for several years, I'm fine selling it if someone bites at 15k and getting a ride home.

The more I see listed, the more I think I got away cheap buying mine for 10k. If I see the unicorn (manual wagon) ever come up for sale at a non-stupid price, I'd buy it even before I sell this one.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Old Binsby posted:

I like Saabs, they look nice but not flashy, are comfortable on long distance hauls yet somehow also quite affordable around here (w. europe) on the used market, especially compared to the German mid-to-high-end segment. I guess the Saab automobile bankruptcies have something to do with that much in the same way Rover prices tanked when that brand went under. I'd rather have '900' than '75' on the back of my car though. So they look good, but I learned to love them driving long distance in most of the 90s models over the years due to another Saab-nut friend. They were all very comfortable down long stretches of autobahn, which is mainly what I'll be using a car for. Honorable mention for the 9000 that had the most spacious back seats I've sat in ever until someone offers me a ride in an audi a8L or a drat maybach or something. The dedicated black panel button is just the coolest thing :c00lbert:

Two quick questions maybe this thread can answer: I'm thinking of buying a late eighties 900 Turbo because I am a massive sucker for tiny unpainted rear spoilers and the silhouette on those earlier models generally is awesome. I've got a lead on both a 4-door hatchback and a 2 door sedan in my price range. Before I make an appointment for a test drive, roughly speaking, are the newer models that shaped my frame of reference even remotely comparable to the older one on the type 99 chassis? In terms of comfort and feeling really 'solid' to drive. Second question, I'm new to it but planning to learn basic car maintenance work on whatever car I end up purchasing. I don't drive daily, I bike to work so it's no problem should I fail really badly or whatever, but is an 80s turbocharged scandinavian powerhouse a good starter car for learning this type of stuff or is that idea extremely flawed for some reason?

Last question: not sure whether that's a local thing or not, a rusty to decent 900 from 1985-1990 will cost around 1250 to 5000 EUR around here, whereas I can literally find dozens of 9-3's for under 800-1000 EUR in good visual condition, most of them having recently passed their yearly inspection. So they're not legally broken currently but I'm still puzzled whether those will fall apart rapidly in the near future -- or are they just 'worth' that little? That seems insane

I've owned 99's, c900's and every era of GM/ng900, early 9-3, later 9-3.

The classic 900 is a completely different car to the ng900 and later. They are nothing like each other to drive. They are only the same in engine and in dashboard layout and in being Saab's. If you want a early 900 turbo then do not buy an ng900/9-3.

They made the c900 up till 1993/94 so you can go a bit later in your searching.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Tomarse posted:

I've owned 99's, c900's and every era of GM/ng900, early 9-3, later 9-3.

The classic 900 is a completely different car to the ng900 and later. They are nothing like each other to drive. They are only the same in engine and in dashboard layout and in being Saab's. If you want a early 900 turbo then do not buy an ng900/9-3.

They made the c900 up till 1993/94 so you can go a bit later in your searching.

thanks, that’s a question i still had. I won’t be passing up the opportunity to try one in that case, I’ve only driven the ng900 and later models. The question is kind of moot at least until the other 80s beauty (a mk 1 Espace) I stumbled upon in the mean time falls apart, although that moment is not exactly decades away. It was awesome for holiday purposes but it’s proving quite the training ground for practicing basic and advanced failures and maintenance, as documented in the AI stupid questions thread :downs:

All good fun though and if nothing else comes of that it’s at least beaten the 9000 hands down in rear leg room by a decent margin

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Turbo X being parted out.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/pts/d/parting-out-2008-saab-9-3/6679791744.html

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Shittiest Saab job ever:

When the seals in the clutch slave cylinder on your 99 fail and you have to gently caress about with big screwdrivers/crowbars slowly turning over the ending and working round every finger on the clutch and moving it enough to wedge the clutch spacer ring in so you can get the slave cylinder out past them.
Photo also taken pre-draining the coolant and removing the radiator in order to pull the clutch shaft out in order to get the slave cylinder over it..

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Doug DeMuro rented (?!) a last-gen Saab 9-5. Basically, "meh".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj2DtHCCa0c

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GD_American posted:

Doug DeMuro rented (?!) a last-gen Saab 9-5. Basically, "meh".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj2DtHCCa0c

Yeah, looks okay, nothing offensive surprised it didn't sell......how much????? $47,900

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Donate to my Kickstarter

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

I had had a power steering leak from the banjo bolt on the power steering pressure hose on my 2005 Saab 9-3 Linear.

Tightening it down seemed to resolve the leak, but I noticed after a little bit when I checked the fluid level, that the CHF11 fluid was decidedly not clear.
I figured the PS pump seal or gasket might be to blame.

There also seemed to be plenty of oil coating the drivers side of the engine and suspected with a small oil leak from the PS pump or the other likely culprit, the brake boost vacuum pump.
I figured I would replace the seal and gaskets on both.

Fluid looking not so hot:

Pump and reservoir off and drained, here is the CHF11 that came out of it:

Oil does seem to have gotten behind the seal:

The old gasket also had a weird indentation in it:

I also broke one of the fittings on the coolant reservoir thanks to the brittle plastic:

The gasket for the brake vacuum pump wasn't broken when I took it out, but it was definitely brittle:

Other than a bit of spilled oil and power steering fluid, those two jobs were pretty straight forward.
I replaced the thermostat while I had those bits off and decent accessibility along with a new throttle body to hopefully resolve a ECU TPS code that periodically has been getting thrown.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

nadmonk posted:

I had had a power steering leak from the banjo bolt on the power steering pressure hose on my 2005 Saab 9-3 Linear.

Tightening it down seemed to resolve the leak, but I noticed after a little bit when I checked the fluid level, that the CHF11 fluid was decidedly not clear.
I figured the PS pump seal or gasket might be to blame.

There also seemed to be plenty of oil coating the drivers side of the engine and suspected with a small oil leak from the PS pump or the other likely culprit, the brake boost vacuum pump.
I figured I would replace the seal and gaskets on both.

Fluid looking not so hot:

Pump and reservoir off and drained, here is the CHF11 that came out of it:

Oil does seem to have gotten behind the seal:

The old gasket also had a weird indentation in it:

I also broke one of the fittings on the coolant reservoir thanks to the brittle plastic:

The gasket for the brake vacuum pump wasn't broken when I took it out, but it was definitely brittle:

Other than a bit of spilled oil and power steering fluid, those two jobs were pretty straight forward.
I replaced the thermostat while I had those bits off and decent accessibility along with a new throttle body to hopefully resolve a ECU TPS code that periodically has been getting thrown.

How much did a new reservoir cost?

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

GD_American posted:

How much did a new reservoir cost?

It wasn't bad, only $61 at Auto Zone for a Dorman, they actually had it in stock too.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I replaced that PS pump seal on my in-laws' 9-3 a couple of years back, it seems a common failure. IIRC engine oil was getting into the PS system causing the reservoir to overflow. It took a few half liter bottles to flush out all the oil and get a pure-ish PS fluid remaining.
That car has had all sorts of issues since then, but not steering related thankfully.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Invalido posted:

I replaced that PS pump seal on my in-laws' 9-3 a couple of years back, it seems a common failure. IIRC engine oil was getting into the PS system causing the reservoir to overflow. It took a few half liter bottles to flush out all the oil and get a pure-ish PS fluid remaining.
That car has had all sorts of issues since then, but not steering related thankfully.

That's good to hear it didn't come back. It seems like it was a pretty common problem.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ahh the sweet hint of dex cool in the AC on a warm afternoon.
Ooh the coolant low light!
Oops, the slippery stain in the garage.
Phew! Walking home from the car shop.
Whoosh! Goes the money!
Heater control valve (#2, first was under warranty years ago), and hoses.
$1000, so ytd $3300.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

A thousand for that? I’m assuming with labor then?

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Oh yes definitely with labor. Maybe even dropping my car off back at my house.
(If they don’t charge for that)

Only. Thing wrong left on car is
1) cruise control dies not do anything (lights come on, but will not hold/accelerate speed)
2) rear washer nozzle disappeared, housing still there so water dribbles onto rear glass
3) side view mirrors are turning dark blue on glass at bottom
4) subwoofer occasionally makes static noises

Any hints / tips fir these ills?

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
Cruise is most likely brake/clutch pedal switches. https://www.thesaabsite.com/faqs/9-5%20(9600)/FAQs.html#CRUISE_CATEGORY_-_Cruise_Control_Failures The NG900 had a test sequence you could activate by going through the cruise functions in a certain order, but no idea if that exists for your 9-5.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Throwing around 1k here and there, because weird Swedish car with odd things that need repairs, when the value of the vehicle is less than 5k which is why a Saab is the worst car to own if you're not up to doing the repairs yourself.

some_admin posted:

What year/model?

keykey fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 20, 2019

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

My biggest worry are what would have been dealer level repairs (Tech II stuff). For instance, the ignition switch module is throwing errors and making it hard to get out of Park. I’m eventually gonna pull it out and look for loose contacts, but if it needs a new (300 dollar) one, the closest shop that might be able to do it is 3 hours away.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

GD_American posted:

My biggest worry are what would have been dealer level repairs (Tech II stuff). For instance, the ignition switch module is throwing errors and making it hard to get out of Park. I’m eventually gonna pull it out and look for loose contacts, but if it needs a new (300 dollar) one, the closest shop that might be able to do it is 3 hours away.

You can always just go to a GM dealer for Saab tech 2 programming ... Unless that’s the closest one that’s 3 hours away. :(

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

keykey posted:

Throwing around 1k here and there, because weird Swedish car with odd things that need repairs, when the value of the vehicle is less than 5k which is why a Saab is the worst car to own if you're not up to doing the repairs yourself.

What year/model?

2008 9-5 Combi 2.3T

I only do the work myself if it’s duper basic. Lol

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

keykey posted:

You can always just go to a GM dealer for Saab tech 2 programming ... Unless that’s the closest one that’s 3 hours away. :(

Tried, the Chevy places here won’t touch it.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

some_admin posted:

As much as I hate other online manufacture specific car forums, I’d highly suggest Saab Central. That forum is a wealth of knowledge and it looks like your questions have been answered in one form or another. They’re not nearly as toxic a forum as other specific manufacturer forums.

GD_American posted:

Tried, the Chevy places here won’t touch it.

Weird. I suppose an alternate route would be fishing eBay for a tech 2 and TIS2000 software.

keykey fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 22, 2019

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Man, my tires are shot. Well, that's about 500 bucks.

You know, I'd love to finally cure this curb rash that came with the car. Cool, there's a guy who quoted me 500 bucks to fix them.

Uh-oh- looks like that rear shock is broke. Well, we knew this day would come eventually. Nivomat Day. There goes 1100 bucks.

poo poo. Front shocks don't look that great either. There's about 400 bucks, might as well get the Bilstein B6s while I'm at it.

Goddamn. Look at the lip on those rotors. And they had been shuddering so I know one of them's warped. Hell, these look like the original rotors. Might as well swap them and pads at the same time. Oh, thank god. That's only another 400 bucks.

Torn CV boot slinging grease and you can't replace it without replacing the entire halfshaft assembly? Welp, that's 450.

I am going to be so pissed when someone hits this car and totals it 2 weeks later.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

FYI in case any of you had Turbo X dreams- the rear springs are not in stock anywhere. In the world. Yes, I checked. On three continents.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

GD_American posted:

FYI in case any of you had Turbo X dreams- the rear springs are not in stock anywhere. In the world. Yes, I checked. On three continents.

That sucks. I thought I'd try to help out with some googling in swedish, but that didn't turn up anything OEM. However, when I checked the nationwide junkyard network (https://www.bildelsbasen.se) and input a number plate from what I think is a suitable 9-3 xwd aero (is that even the right car?) I found using image google, a bunch of rear springs from disassembled cars turned up. Unfortunately I can't seem to post working links to that site, but it should be possible to navigate it using auto translate and the images.
edit: the site has a british flag that turns some of it into english, but it's not great, lots of swedish remains.

Do these look right or did I mess up?

Invalido fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 13, 2019

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Invalido posted:

That sucks. I thought I'd try to help out with some googling in swedish, but that didn't turn up anything OEM. However, when I checked the nationwide junkyard network (https://www.bildelsbasen.se) and input a number plate from what I think is a suitable 9-3 xwd aero (is that even the right car?) I found using image google, a bunch of rear springs from disassembled cars turned up. Unfortunately I can't seem to post working links to that site, but it should be possible to navigate it using auto translate and the images.
edit: the site has a british flag that turns some of it into english, but it's not great, lots of swedish remains.

Do these look right or did I mess up?

I can get junkyard springs, but they’re a dice roll. I don’t know if they’ll be in any better shape than mine (which aren’t broke, but do have 130k miles on them).

I put my info in one of those part finders for junkyards and I poo poo you not, within 20 seconds my phone rang, and places across the country are blowing up my phone.

Appreciate you looking tho :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

GD_American posted:

:(. Dwindling NOS supply is scary. When I saw that my NG 9-5's 3rd brake light LED bar was futzing out, I hunted all over for it, and ordered what I hoped was the right unit from some German only parts site. Ended up being correct.

At least there's a cottage industry for remanning LED bars for various GM cars of that era.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Yeah I almost bought an NG 9-5 but the unicorn factor scared the poo poo out of me.

Maybe as a 3rd car, but not a DD with monthly payments

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

GD_American posted:

I can get junkyard springs, but they’re a dice roll. I don’t know if they’ll be in any better shape than mine (which aren’t broke, but do have 130k miles on them).

I put my info in one of those part finders for junkyards and I poo poo you not, within 20 seconds my phone rang, and places across the country are blowing up my phone.

Appreciate you looking tho :)

I hear ya. JY parts are perfectly fine for certain things, less so for other things. I got home from work and searched some more, might could be there are new springs to be had after all. Do you know the parts number you're looking for?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Invalido posted:

I hear ya. JY parts are perfectly fine for certain things, less so for other things. I got home from work and searched some more, might could be there are new springs to be had after all. Do you know the parts number you're looking for?

God I’d be so grateful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
These guys seem to have what you're looking for (or at least they claim they can get it from somewhere else and sell it on, accepting no returns because of this)

https://shop.speedparts.se/en/prod/saab-oem/bakfjader-13.html

Unless they're full of poo poo they should be able to ship two springs to the U.S. for $235 or thereabout - shipping alone is about a hundred.
There's a bunch of non-genuine SUPLEX brand springs for cheaper from the usual German getting places, but I guess you don't want those.