Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

ab0z posted:

I haven't yet decided if I'm going to do option 1 or 3. (2 is unnecessary, since I have a garage full of tools and no life.)
I don't feel that it's much of an enthusiast driving car in overall feel, but maybe the manual trans would be enough of a difference to change my mind. I DO however like it as a roadtrip car, and a daily driver in the winter.
What is a good saab specific source for parts?

Eeuroparts.com is where I usually get parts from. usually saves me 10-15% from a Saab only parts place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Karl Barks posted:

well i just have the 2.0 model, so yeah i have an i4 turbo. I just double checked and you're right. I could have sworn at least the viggen had a v6.

Hell no, the V6 is a hunk of poo poo in older Saabs. Although the newest 9-3 Aeros are pretty drat quick.

The Viggen is a 2.3

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe you guys can help me out. My gf's 1999 9-3 is on its last legs, and she really doesn't want to get another one. She really likes the car's features, of which there are many:
- good lock logic
- automatic lights
- big hatch
- good dash button ergonomics
- overall nice interior design
- nice seats, with heat
- decent power

To some degree, she is one of those people that really reaches for the word 'soulless' when considering modern cars that have similar feature sets. She drove my 07 Camry once and hated how unremarkable it was.

I think her primary desire is to replace the 9-3 (once it dies) with a car that meets most of those features, but has the lowest total cost of ownership, between initial cost and upkeep. Is there another Saab that could do the trick? For reference, since she bought it in 2003, she's replaced the engine once, the turbo twice, the DIC twice, and the SID once.

Boy, that 9-3 had a lot of problems, far more than I usually hear about. I definatly wouldn't get an older SPG or 9000 and unless you are thinking about a later 9-3 or 9-5 I wouldn't recommend a Saab at all. Especially if you aren't wanting to diagnose/resolve your own problems.

Edit: I'm going to suggest a 9-5. Larger and more powerfull than the standard 9-3 and they ran that car for...I think 10 years so there are parts aplenty. More room and simmilar gas mileage to boot.

Mcqueen fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 12, 2010

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

dodatron posted:

Can anyone give me a reason why I shouldn't buy a 2006 9-3 Aero Sportcombi?

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-2006-Saab-9-3-AERO-Wagon-REDUCED-TO-SELL-THIS-IS-A-DEAL-W0QQAdIdZ179737809

Took it for a drive a couple weeks ago - its been for sale for a long time, and the price has gone from $14,000 to $10,999. Spoke to a Saab dealer tech, and he said they are great cars, any other input would be great.

What kind of things can I expect to have to deal with?

I have experience with an '08. Its a very nice car and for that money you should have purchased it 5 minutes ago. The three things I don't like about the car aren't big issues, the front tires wear exceptionally fast, faster than my Viggen and I was under the impression tires couldn't wear faster than that. Also, the engine gurgle can get a bit tiresome on long drives, kind of like the VQ in a 350Z. Lastly, the auto in these cars is horrible and constantly hunts for gears, a non-issue for you. Get this car.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

ssh posted:

Where'd you get an SID repair for $50?

Time to take the beasts in to get them checked out - my 2K's T7 isn't up to date and only one guy I know of locally has a Tech2 w/ goodies and can flash me up. Thinking of going all Stage 1 minus the turbo on it.

I think I somehow fried my brakes on my 2K8. They always, always squeak for the forst few pumps even with clean, topped off fluid w/ no leaks. I have under 10k on this set, but this car's harder to stop than the 2K, and all I replaced on that were the back pads and rotors. All looks OK, but beyond my ability to further diagnose from here. Grr.

Sure you didn't get some air in the lines when you were changing the fluid?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

ssh posted:

2K8's still the original. 2K was changed and is perfect; I bled and clipped. It's the 'new' car that's having the issues. Again, under 10k on it and it did go up near Canada and back down, but can't find any excuse for it..

I read it that you topped off the fluid in your 2008. Could it be possible that air made its way into the fluid?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Problem 1:
I own a 2000 Viggen with 108k on her. I purchased the car in 06 with 86k, soon after I had the PCV ver.3 installed, the headgasket replaced, and checked out for sludge. Everything is a-ok. It currently has a Genuine Saab 3" DP and a cone style air filter (not my idea). I change the oil every 3-4k with Mobil 1 0-40. I know its too frequent, but I barely drive it, especially now that I bike to work and I thought oil has a usable life(?).

To the 'problem'. Since I've owned the car it's made a particular noise. When I'm off the accelerator and the car is in gear it makes a whining sound, kind of like a spinning chain. I thought it was the timing chain but it doesn't make the sound at idle at start up and never really goes away as the car warms up, both things people say that happen with an old chain. Could it be something else in the car?

I plan on checking the chain guide within the month, the 2.3 is the same procedure and tolerance as the 2.0, correct? The plug and tensioner is right behind the accessory belt on the passenger side of the engine bay?

Problem 2:
Theres about 3/4 inch of play in the clutch pedal before there is any resistance. The grip point is therefore pretty close to the floor. I'm used to this, as its been that way since I've owned it but I have access to a garage for next month and I want to make good use of it. From what I understand the clutch and brake system are one, so I should bleed the brakes (need to install new rotors anyways so it would be a good time to do it) and then find the clutch bleeder and do that too, or is this a problem in the clutch cable that, as far as I know, has never been replaced? IIRC the clutch cable is auto adjusting?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wow, great info, thanks.

I was unaware they changed to hydro clutch systems so early. Do you know where that nipple might be hiding? I have one of those motive power bleeders, can I just hook that up to the reservoir and bleed away?

As far as engine noises go, its in all the gears. The rear main seal is weeping a bit but I didn't want to gently caress with that if i didn't absolutely need to. I'll check the level when I start work on it. Considering it's been singing away for the last 20k I figured it was A-OK.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

JayKay posted:

In case nobody saw my post in the Subaru thread, I ended up buying that Hail Damaged Saabaru for $4700. Just need to pick up some replacement bulbs, get a few key fobs, and a new shifter knob and I'm set.

Lucky!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Four Banger posted:

What are people running for after market wheels on the 9-5? I curbed mine bad right after a snow storm, cracked a rim, and threw the winter rubbers on some steelies and am using this as an excuse to upgrade for my summers.

I'm thinking of going with 17", 18's just look too big. Opinions?

No reason to start looking for take off BBS RKII's from a 9-5 Aero. The bolt pattern and off spacing is just so weird the options for Saabs are either crazy expensive or ugly and cheap. You could try the double y spokes off a newer 9-3 as well, I believe the bolt pattern is the same.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Pre-edit, sorry these photos blow, must have had oil on the camera phone lens, was working on my buddies 850 Turbo that felt that it did not like containing oil.

Two weeks ago I picked up another Viggen from the same guy I bought a Thule rack from not 4 weeks prior. Apparently he had some money troubles and was selling his '99 Lightning Blue two door for cheap. It was the model I wanted when I first fell in love with the car and most of the modifications I would buy are already on it. Sweet.

130k on her. The pictures do not do the car justice. Due time for a timing belt and normal 120k maintenance. I may put in a newer clutch. Good news is it has the Genuine Saab intake, motor mounts, tranny mounts, lots of poly bushings, the Koni kit, front and rear sway, front subframe brace, 3" exhaust, and some other goodies. Feels good and tight, the suspension is great.

First things first, I want to transfer my 3" DP to this car. The larger DP made a huge improvement in the responsiveness in my car and I don't feel like selling my car and leaving a $500 part on it that retains none of its value.

That was easy, bottom of the car looks nice, no drips or coolant and still has the underskirts! Wow, I've never seen a Viggen who's owner has managed to keep those intact. New front bumper too. Nice.

What. The. gently caress. The shop who did this welded the lower cat to the loving exhaust under the clamp fitting. WHY GOD?! Oh well, off to the shop later to get this fixed.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tomarse posted:

I've just put roof bars on my ng900 and get loads of wind noise from them. It starts to howl from about 30mph up. Is there something I can do to prevent this? or is this normal for roof bars on cars?

I've got a landrover with a roof rack which ive never noticed howling but then there is a tiny bit of engine/road noise in that! ;)

My old C900 howled like crazy with the old Thule style fairing. Do you have the current one that looks more like a surfboard than a ski? Like...thicker? I still get wind noise but I find it to be much quieter than the old style, even if it doesn't look as nice.

Sambo - Thanks, to be honest I don't remember the type of wheel these are, he said they are "nails" and powder coated grey. I don't think these came stock on any saab and I don't see them on Tirerack so I'm lost.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

It seems like half the posts in this thread are about mechanical problems. Should I be expecting some down the line on my 08 9-3?

I have a '09 9-3 and 9-5 in the family with no problems whatsoever. That said, Saabs are not the most reliable cars but I've never had one just up and die mechanically. Most of the time it's some electrical glitch.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Four Banger posted:

hey saab guys.. got an issue with my 99 9-5 2.3L, It's had all the sludge work done to it.

Under hard acceleration, it seems like the engine will "hiccup" or something. It's happened at different RPMs/different gears It's like it just shutters, almost feels like it stalls, but the engine doesn't shut off. No lights come up, every now and then the engine will throw an evap code, (could this cause it?) fluids are all clean/topped up. What could be causing this?

This happens to my 2 Viggens all the time, same engine. I had good luck with changing the o2 sensors, intake sensor, and plugs. When's the last time you changed the plugs? They are cheap and the job takes all of 10 minutes.

edit: Doing all the filters and poo poo on the new Viggen. Car may have had a couple ciggs smoked in it, generally stinks. Steam cleaned it, auto freebreezed, took apart the false bulkhead only to find...

Click here for the full 800x478 image.

That's really loving foul and probably never been changed.

Mcqueen fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 17, 2011

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Four Banger posted:

aw thanks guys. No idea about the plugs, I only got the car in september, (also my first car and newly licensed so I'm not too experienced with self diagnosing) so I'll pick up some plugs and swap them. Any plugs that are recommended/avoided?

Whatever the manual recommends. Do not deviate from that plug number unless you are driving is some extreme temp. No quad spark shenanigans, just basic replacement plugs. Fancy plugs don't work well in our cars. Make sure they are gapped well too.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Viggen posted:

Saw a 1996 9000 CSE with only 62,000 on it. Wanted $5995.00. Passed. :(

Have been promising myself one of those. Such a large interior and engine bay space, so easily tuned to loving huge gobs of power.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

I asked her if she was noticing more frequent fillups. She hadn't, but it's obviously imprecise if you're not thinking about it. I believe her trips to/from work are pretty short. <10 min on a quick day. Which should hurt mileage, but to 14mpg?

If the exhaust wasn't heated up could the post car 02 sensor fail? Mine were both garbage with no codes. I've heard heating them up with a mapp torch can make them work again but it could be bs.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
For 6 grand on a old as poo poo car they wont let you take it to a shop for a PPI?

Walk...no, run away.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey man, that looks really nice. Love that paint! I've always liked the styling of the later 9000's but that look is really growing on me. 9000's are becoming quite the rare breed. Seattle seems to have a large number of Saabs running around and I've only seen a handful of 9000's. Please keep it forever and ever.

Homefront: Asked a local exhaust shop to weld on ball and knuckle fittings on my exhaust. Half hour and $45 later ended up with flat plate fittings. When asked why I got hosed over I got a 'sorry bro we were out of ball fittings'. Great. Going to take it to a more reputable shop who hopefully wont be wasting my time this weekend. All in all, I'm just tired having 2 perfectly good Viggens in my driveway and I want money.

It appears the Blue Viggen has a slight coolant leak as well as a bit of water in the rear. This car is going to take a bit of mechanical work to make it look as good is the exterior...

Also, this:
'Stanced Saabs'

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll say this. The Saab crowd is 3 things: die hard, eclectic, ignored.

I'm cool with that. Under the condition that I never have to read a Saab related thread with poo poo like 'hellaflush', 'fittment', drifting, neon, or any other flash in the pan hot garbage.

On the other hand, you can get the newer 9000's pretty low and they look drat good. I suppose that doesn't have much to do with being flush though.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Viggen posted:

This isn't it, but.. may be worth the cost for parts Beat up 96 9K, wiff LEDs in the floor!

You're breaking my heart.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Whats the bolt pattern on those, the same as yours? 4x108 or 5x110 35et? poo poo would look amazing on RKII's

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

Anyone have an idea which part is the OEM replacement for a 1999 9-3 hatch (with spoiler and wiper) strut? Parts sites have a confusing list of variants. Some even seem to offer trunk and hatch options. Afaik, the '99 9-3 never came as a sedan?

Listed in most likely to be matching to least:
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...0Lift%20Support
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1999/saab/93/body_mechanical_-ar-_trim/hatch_strut.html

These above 2 seem to be a non OE replacement for the hatch with spoiler, and a Stabilus OEM replacment for a hatch without a spoiler.

http://www.autopartstomorrow.com/parts/1703461-lift-support
http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,36,partnum,SG218008,d,Sachs_SG218008.html
http://www.partsgeek.com/pdproducts/DCS/05057502.html

And then these above 3 seem to for a Sachs part SG218008, which Rock Auto claims to be for "Trunk Lid; w/ wiper"

http://www.partsgeek.com/pdproducts/DCS/05085233.html
http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,36,partnum,SG218009,d,Sachs_SG218009.html
And the above 2 are for SG218009, which Rock Auto claims to be for "Trunk Lid; w/ wiper & spoiler"

I just want the cheapest correct part. I'm concerned that the struts are set for exactly a specific weight, and that getting the wrong one will mean the hatch won't lift up and stay.

http://thesaabsite.com/93/93gasshocks.htm

I don't know if cross referencing the two will help you, but there seems to be 3 different kinds. Why not just get the after market viggen ones? Those have got to be the stiffest.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wouldn't the Alfa 164 points be the same as the early 9000?

Taken from a alfa board:

'Early or late models determine where I put jack under front subframe. Early models have tow hook and jack pad in middle of sub frame and I jack my early models there and then put jack stands either under sub frame side rails or under round body front jack points under front doors. Later models have no center jack pad but have two tow/jack pads on subframe front corners behind fog light area. I use two floor jacks under these areas on late models and put jack stands same as above.

If you have only one floor jack either do one side at a time or use a long 4x4 under subframe front cross rail if it does not have center tow/jack point. This method spreads load across cross beam to prevent from bowing frame in center.

To jack rear both wheels off the ground same time I place 6x6 or 4x4 block on floor jack and place in center of body (trunk rear floor area) just at bottom front edge of bumper cover where there is a extra thick piece of structure. I put jack stands under rear round jack points under rear door area.'

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've never owned a normal 9-3...:smug:

The fitting the exhaust guy put on the blue viggen is about an inch too long. Now my cat wont fit. gently caress yeah, I LOVE CARS!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have a narrow garage, and in haste from hail, just drove in and dragged my rear quarter across the garage door edge in an effort to dodge my bike. Also in my haste, while backing up to save paint, proceeded to rip my mirror off at the base.

To say I am mad at myself would be WILD understatement. I'm used to assholes doing hit and runs, running their shopping carts into me, but I cant say I've ever ruined my own pristine car by failing to judge depth. I could be more angry, but I will be drinking myself into oblivion.

Edit: Also, 2A sounds a bit heavy for a small fan and sensor?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Nystral posted:

Does anyone know where I can get the plastic bit that covers the wires to the side view mirror for a 9-3 SS? Saab USA Parts.com shows nothing and I'm not sure where to find a part #. My shade tree mechanic is wonderfully cheap, he just has a habit of loosing trim pieces :(

Stupid GM window regulators (I've replaced 3 out of the 4 so far!)

http://www.thesaabsite.com/93/93mirrors03on.htm

number 2?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Replumb the entire car with copper tubing. Steampunk 9000.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
113?

http://www.saabscene.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=206194&mode=threaded&pid=1108188

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Petekill posted:

Well, I'm pissed. Here's a word of advice: never let anyone else drive your car unless you are sitting in the passenger seat and trust them.

I took my 9-3 to a car detail place, one of those places where they run it through a machine wash, then dry, polish, and detail it by hand. Apparently the poo poo-for-brains fuckmonkeys at the car wash couldn't figure out how to get my car into reverse, so they just forced the shifter until the lockout gate broke off and they could shift it. If I had noticed this at the time I would have ripped them a new one.

I pulled up the shifter boot today and retrieved the broken plastic gate. How easy is this to fix? I could probably just superglue it back into place, but is the job easy enough to do the right way?

Now would be a perfect time to install a short shifter from GS. Just saying.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Finally got my camera back.

Mirror off. A replacement in lightning blue is on its way from Goldwing. Only 100 bucks! Not bad.

This is far more serious, although it seems the plastic guard took the biggest hit, there is definitely bodywork that needs doing. I can't see this costing any less than 700 to repaint, the rear quarter is a huge panel on these cars.

I'm sorry car, here, enjoy a trickle charge and the warmth of a garage.

Anyone wanna come out to Seattle and help me change a clutch?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Selling my Silver 4 door Viggen, check the for sale thread in AI.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

gilamonster posted:

CL ad expired. Is this still on the market? I'm in the greater Seattle area and interested.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2396780464.html

Rehosted last night. Hopefully this doesn't count as advertising, sorry.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

keykey posted:

Does the battery charger come with the car? http://i.imgur.com/7MXnN.jpg

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2396780464.html posted:

The car could really use a detail. It's been sitting out in my driveway for several months with the battery on a tender but I can only do so much with a one car garage.

Nope

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
You should really be able to go to a yard and pick up a whole set for cheap.

Also, my dad wants to buy another house and needs to cut out some loans, sold my step moms 9-5 Aero and is now using my for sale Viggen. Pretty funny seeing a 50 year old racing around in a Viggen with powder coated BBS's. When he left my house he did a block long burn out. Best dad.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2504005003.html

Reposted this. Figured it would fare better here, than the for sale thread.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Changed the oil in the Viggen after work today, planned to replace the strut mount but I don't have a separator. Oh well, its not like I drive it too much anyways:

A little more than 2k in 15 months

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hahaha holy hell man.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hot drat, man. Nice car!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Do you mind me asking how much you paid for that 9³, Viggen?

Also, that sonett is AMAAAAZING.

Was replacing my strut mount on the Viggen today, had the driveshaft and suspension arms out to inspect the bushings and whatnot, go to put the carrier on the shaft and a MT oil started spilling out the tranny side CV area. loving AWESOME. Think I boned something in there, prolly a seal I cant get to without dropping the tranny. gently caress cars, this is why I ride motorcycles.

Look how cocky I was, thinking I was more than halfway home. gently caress me, right?

Mcqueen fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 28, 2012