Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
That's an unusually nice example. All the 9000s I see around here are totally thrashed.

Nice find. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Viggen posted:

Check to see if the ignition switch is falling out of the housing or is just worn out. It's always always the ignition switch.

Might that be the case here as well?

http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/3269295170.html

I've been watching the price fall on this 9000 for a while, and while I don't have any experience with Saabs, if the car in the picture is actually the one he's selling, it seems like a pretty good deal (for a masochist? :v:)

Is there a basic test I could perform with a multimeter that would point to the switch?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Viggen posted:

Personally, I'd be wary of this car. It's cheap, it doesn't work, and it has a ton of miles - and I don't see any service history. I'd personally start somewhere easier, like a T5 or T7 based system.

Thanks for the info. That was my gut instinct, but I figured I ought to get it validated by someone with more Saab knowledge. I'm pretty well versed in the ways of LH2.4 from driving/working on Volvos, but I've never had one of those that simply wouldn't start. Plus, the wiring for 2.4 in 240s is pretty much contained to its own harness, so when something does go weird, there's not a mile of wire to chase.

It's incredibly difficult to find interesting cars with manual transmissions in my area, though, so it was hard to ignore the voice in the back of my mind suggesting that it might be something simple.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
So the '94 9000 Aero I'm buying has a couple small issues. The power antenna mast doesn't extend, which sounds like a fairly common failure with an easy resolution (take nut off antenna, turn car/radio on, pull mast out, put new mast in, turn car off so the toothed strip gets sucked into the motor?) and the SRS light is on, allegedly because of a failed switch/sensor in the passenger seat belt buckle. Even if I replace the buckle, it sounds like I'll need to go to a shop with a Tech II to get the code cleared.

How likely is it that I'll be able to find a shop that will have any clue what to do with it? Will they need a special adapter to connect to the car's computer, since it's pre-OBDII, or does it use a generic GM connector?