Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
In this economy, $50 don't get you much:

Hit in the right rear quarter, high enough to miss the framerails and all doors and hatch work: (sorry for picture quality)

Left side:

1998 900se, 2.0 turbo, auto trans. Most everything inside works, the engine seems like it works fine, I'll be checking spark plugs, air filter, etc. as soon as I have free time (hah). I'm going to check local yards for this model, if I find one I'm going to drill out some spot welds and pull the rear quarters and whatever else is needed.

This is the first car I"ve ever owned with:
Power anything except mirrors
a turbo
some sort of dragon/bird on the badge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

ssh posted:

I hate you. I really, really hate you. I've spent more on my battery. Good luck; if that tranny is slipping, I'll give you $20 for the car. I like silver SAABs, but white can work, too.

It's silver (don't know if that's clear based on my horrible pictures). Trans seems fine, if you stomp on it it'll kick down right away. Seems to hang on the upshifts at light throttle, but this is the first auto I've driven in 5 years so I can't really say if it's normal.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
What's a DIC fer?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Francis Baconator posted:

DIC stands for Direct Ignition Cassette. Also called DI Cassette. It takes the place of your distributor, rotor, spark plug wires and all that good stuff, hence the name, direct ignition. They cost about $300 but are easy as hell to install. Be sure to use the spark plugs recommended by your owner's manual or you can shorten their lifespan considerably.

Thanks, I remember hearing the term but couldn't recall the definition. I'll certainly use OEM plugs. (anyone have the model number handy for this car?)

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
'98 900se, turbo 2.0, automatic.
What should I see at full throttle on the "boost" gauge?
Most of the time at 3/4 throttle it looks like I'm getting mid "yello". Should it go into the red zone if I'm really on it? What do these colors correspond to in actual pressure?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Prescription Combs posted:

Just go buy an Autometer vac/boost gauge. Factory gauges are generally horribly inaccurate.

So you're saying when it's saying I'm making yellow PSI I might only be making green PSI? Are these gauges known to fail in a way that causes them never to read in the red zone? Does this system coordinate with the homeland security color system?

What I want to know (from somebody familiar with the model) is what gauge readings are normal, and what the actual boost pressures should be normally. Even if I measure it with a gauge marked in PSI/bar, I don't know what to compare it to.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

ssh posted:

They can be funky, you may tickle red, but it's not going to stay there.

That's precisely why you need the PSI. 12.3psi is standard 'high'; I've seen 7 around medium - but honestly, you want to go over to saabnet.com chat at about 7PST and talk to mike9 or SaabTech. Given the age, and basic history they can give you much better ideas than these 'out of my rear end from spec' number.

My old 9-5 doesn't even have a goddamn boost gauge, and I've been too lazy to tear into the instrument panel to put one in it. :(

Thank you, this is what I was looking for. It sounds like mine is making normal boost. When I finish with the 4 other cars i have to work on I'll borrow or buy a gauge and see what it's actually doing.

Saabnet.com - seems a little expensive... I wish they had a cheap option that didn't include a tshirt and whatnot. I just need occasional tech info on the car, I'm not joining a family. Maybe they'll do a discount because GM can't keep Saab's doors open?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

ssh posted:

You don't have to join. Chat and basic forums is free.

Ok I see that now, thanks. I just looked for a signup page and the first one I came to was asking for a bunch of money.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

ssh posted:

You were still 4 hours early. :q:

haha you stalker

I did an oil change tonight, was surprised that there wasn't a bunch of crazy swedish oddities to deal with like a crazy filter design or a security torx drain plug. The dipstick/filler cap combo is interesting. there are no markings on it that I can see, I assume around midway up the reading area is the correct level? (I did fill it with 4.1 qts, just confirming how to read it).

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

ssh posted:

You didn't get a manual? Pity. There are marks on it, but yes, it holds about 4.1.

Also, here's a {not really accurate} gauge for your boost.

Thanks to everyone for continued clarification of the boost gauge function.
I did get an owner's manual, didn't get a chance to read through it until my 12 hour trip to visit the wife's family for the holiday. There is an amazing amount of useful information in that manual! I'm surprised by the technical information that they included, and the apparent willingness to acknowledge that the owners might want to service their own cars.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Well I guess I'm a Saab guy now. Drove my $50 900se from Michigan to the west side of Iowa and back, in heated leather comfort with about 26.5mpg average (25.5 indicated, did the math and it's 1mpg higher). My DIC didn't let me down, and when I randomly pitched sideways on the highway for no reason (other than the blizzard of the century) I just countersteered and powered out of it, no damage besides MY WIFE's nerves.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

ssh posted:

That's going to be the most expensive $50 you have ever spent. I'll offer $200 to take it off your hands now.. but you need to deliver it mid-winter. :q:

Cost me $150 to register and tag it. Plus, it has 2 new tires on it now (thanks, well-off father in law)

I'll take $500 if you come get it.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I haven't yet decided if I'm going to do option 1 or 3. (2 is unnecessary, since I have a garage full of tools and no life.)
I don't feel that it's much of an enthusiast driving car in overall feel, but maybe the manual trans would be enough of a difference to change my mind. I DO however like it as a roadtrip car, and a daily driver in the winter.
What is a good saab specific source for parts?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

ssh posted:

Whatdya expect for $50?

A festiva :v: (oh wait I have that too)

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Cool, thanks for the link. I may need to order a couple things from there.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
due to idle curiosity and a slow work day, I find myself wondering about the Ignition cassette failures, and if it is possible to repair the failed units.
Has anyone heard of this being possible?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
So what exactly is contained in there, and which part fails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Thanks for the info. The more I think about it, the more I want to find an un-crunched one of these cars with a manual trans, redo a couple bushings, do ball joints etc, put some sport springs on it, and just enjoy a decent car with a nice (for me) interior and reasonable highway manners.