Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
I've previously owned a 2000 9-5 Aero and a 2002 9-5 Aero, and I miss them greatly. Before these cars age into obscurity, I'd like to buy a 2007/2008/2009 9-5 Aero, but residing in Texas that's proving very difficult to pull off. How the hell does one buy a car from halfway across the country? Without the ability to take it to the nearby Saab shop for an inspection, I don't know how to mitigate the risk of bad oil leaks or whatever else may be wrong with it. Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
Does anyone happen to know anything about this car: 2008 9-5 Saab Aero? I really want a manual '08 9-5 Aero and this seems to be the only one in the US for sale right now, and it's about 800 miles away from me.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

kimbo305 posted:

Dammit, an NG 9-5 popped up on my CarGurus saved search, but it was actually automatic and misclassed as manual.
I really wanted an OG 9-5 in manual to replace a car that I gave up when my first son was born ('02 9-5 Aero). I figured an '04+ 9-5 in manual, not from the rust belt, with < 120k miles would be my target. I had alerts on craigslist, cars.com, and cargurus. I gave up after about a year of searching. The handful of manuals that fit the bill in my geographic/time off reach during that time was ~3, and someone beat me to the punch each time. I ended up giving up on the manual transmission and got an Automatic '08 9-5 Aero with really low miles over 2 years ago, and even with all the alerts still in place, nothing has triggered that made me mobilize my carbuying power again.

Not saying you should give up, but you might need a plan B if an NG 9-5 in manual never feasibly shows up.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

kimbo305 posted:

Oh, the inspection also failed me for a broken reverse light, even though this gen 9-5 still only has one reverse lamp. What's the most official documentation I could give to the shop to demonstrate that? The manual isn't really that clear about it.

The dame edna OG 9-5s also have 1 reverse light on the non-wagons. My inspector has never even mentioned it in 3 inspections, but not real sure he's noticed.

Texas defers to the federal requirement on this, and the federal requirement is only 1 given it has certain visibility (look here and search for "backup lamp" if your state also defers to the federal requirement): https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2004-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2004-title49-vol5-sec571-108.xml

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
I'm selling an '08 9-5 Aero Auto in DFW TX area if anyone wants to take a gander. 93k miles $4500 obo. Please buy it and tell me you are gonna love it and send me periodic updates of it joining your family and eventually going to college, i don't want to dump this thing off on Carmax to have it end up in the hands of a person who will use it to run meth or whatever happens to cars there.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/d/colleyville-2008-saab-9-5-aero/7080336421.html