Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Nuclear Tourist posted:

What kind of oil do you people use, I assume some good quality synthetic would be in order? Maybe with some sludge-dissolving compounds, or does that risk breaking up any potential sludge and causing it to clog up other parts of the engine?

Mobil1 0W-30

http://www.mobil.com/usa-english/lubes/pds/glxxenpvlmomobil1_0w-30.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Does anyone have experience with the SportCombi with the V6? I found one in stick, CPO and the allure is strong. Am I shooting myself in the face if I drop some coin on it?

edit: it ain't AWD.

I didn't even know they made an AWD SportCombi

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

ssh posted:

There is a Turbo X SportCombi. Not sure if any of them made the states, or not. I've never seen one.

Yeah, Augusta had one. It sat on the lot for a long time for such a low-number car.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

So, Akebono ceramic pads:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results.jsp?autoMake=Saab&autoModel=9-3+2.0T+Sedan&autoYear=2006&autoModClar=With+Rubber+Valve+Stems

Better dust-wise than the OEM? Any complaints about ceramic pads from anyone?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Out there question- if I wanted to Aero-ize my brakes on my '06 Arc, would it just take the larger rotors and calipers, or would the rest of the system (master/slave cylinder, etc.) need work too?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

Quick question: I'm looking at cars right now and came across a good deal on a 2008 9-3 2.0T Sport. It doesn't have the navigation system, but is it possible to just slot in a navigation unit myself?

It'd be retardedly expensive and far less use than just a TomTom. In many cases, factory GPS actually lowers your resale value.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

Oh ok, anything else I should know about the car then?

Good mileage and handling, most of the bugs worked out (6 years into the model life, one year after a small refresh). Bits of trim present a problem after a while, but that's all the problem I ever had with my '06.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

:smug:

I love my '06 but drat if I don't also love the re-style job they did for the later models. That Aero-X style front is awesome looking.

But you get the GM radio stack instead of my awesome flight panel interior :smug:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

ssh posted:

Wait a sec - You'd get a SAAB rebranded product from another manufacturer if it wasn't gimmicky? Uhm.. Remember the 9-2x, the 9-7x? How much more gimmicky can you get. Or, did you mean less gawdy? If it's a mini, it's gonna be gawdy.

The Mini's interior is so gimmicky it's legitimately the biggest gripe about it

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

ssh posted:

Now I must see one closer than 'lookit dat hehee' when driving down the road. My curiosity is seriously piqued.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If you came here from a search, please please please read the forums rules when you get a chance. It's fairly easy to get banned or probated on the SA forums (for a reason- to hold at bay the stupidity of the Internet).

Then stick around. This is by far the best automotive forum on the Internet (mostly because there's no bullshit tolerated)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

So if I bought a replacement fob here:

http://www.saabusaparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_25&products_id=652

where the gently caress do I get it programmed? It's a 2006 9-3, so it was a GM product, but can say, a Chevy dealer do it?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

astropika posted:

A chevy dealer would have an authorized tech2, but you need the saab software.

They can DL the software from TIS, so it's just a matter of them bothering (and knowing how to do it, which may be the bigger problem).

edit: just do it soon, if you lose the other key then they can't clone you another one and you have to spend $1500 on a new alarm module.

whew

you are a scholar and a gentleman

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

R.I.P. my beautiful '06.

You were too good for this world. Or at least, too good for USAA to fix. Picked it up brand new in Trollhattan, drove it 12 years.

(loving no-road watching soccer moms.)

I'm in the marketplace again for a car, and I'm looking at Turbo Xs (or the later 9-3s with AWD, or a decent shape V70R). So far everyone seems to want silly money for them (15k+), enough that when I saw this one for 9k:

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2008-saab-9-3-turbo-awd-4dr/6449237534.html

I started wondering what problems might be hiding there. Is this price suspiciously low? I'd prefer a stick, but I'm to the point now where I can live with either. And I haven't seen anything below 12k that wasn't modded to an unattractive degree.

For that matter, is the Turbo X worth the premium? I have no illusions as to their collectibility, but I like the idea of owning what is close to the swan song for the brand (the last 9-5 is probably moreso, but fuckkkkkkkk worrying about that parts availability). I never saw any major complaints about the AWD system.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Bipolar Transistor posted:

Well, that depends on how much SAAB-ness you actually want to live with. These have an older Haldex system which can become cranky and need replacing if you don't take care of it. Other than that, many of the 2.8T bits are compatible with your standard 9-3SS.

If you buy it, and can find a newer NA GPS map than 2008, I'd love to get a copy- it's unobtanium even from the manufacturer, and uses an outdated format that nobody seems to make semi-compatible maps for, 10 years on.

Ended up getting a different Turbo X that was in Chicago. Far, far better shape, but no nav. The dealer laughed at me when I said I really wanted a wagon with a manual (his response was something along the lines of "I'd like to ride a unicorn too").

I'm educating myself right now on the differences with the V6 from the 4-cylinder (they sure made oil changes 180 degrees different and a lot messier), and changing all the fluids just on GP. Getting ceramic tint put in next week, and I'm halfway tempted to go illegal as poo poo just to finish the Vader look this car gives off.

I miss my old Saab, but this thing is being so goddamned sexy makes it a lot easier to cope.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

How much were you thinking a Turbo X would run? I saw this on CL and seller told me some guy was coming for it with a trailer at $12k:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Saab-9-3-Turbo-X/132497460097

I saw that one, thought long and hard about it, but "engine tuned by a guy 1500 miles away from you" was a serious dealbreaker.

Also the one at a dealership in Missouri for $5k, who were at least nice enough to be upfront with "yeah the timing chain is hosed, buy as is".

I guess I figured they'd all be running around 15k because before I actually started looking for an STX, all I saw was that one in Iowa they want that much for. Once I actually started looking, I realized the depreciation curve had really done its magic.

I reserve the right to complain in the future if the unobtainium shocks or something STX-specific goes to poo poo, but in the meantime good god I love this loving thing.

kimbo305 posted:

I'm still really tempted by the NG 9-5. It looks so good. I have to keep telling myself that the V6 (and HiPer strut) and XWD aren't worth the weight penalty and parts issues.
Though the V6 motor is more GM than the Turbo 4, right?

There's plenty of 4-cylinder 9-5NGs out there. I seriously considered one a doctor in Cleveland was selling (stick, blue) until I saw the Carfax had an airbags-deployed accident on it. They are seriously beautiful.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

How often does a manual one come up?
I see just this one right now: https://www.hendricklexuscharlotte.com/VehicleDetails/used-2011-Saab-9_5-Turbo4-Buford-GA/3155138353
The price isn't right, but I'm still curious. It has a minimum of the console button chipping that seems to be extremely prevalent (and presumably unavoidable).
Did anyone even make black headlight surrounds and accents? The dealer says it's black plastic, but I'd be amazed if that were a factory option or if some aftermarket shop decided to make some.

My goal would be to get that for 11-12.

I literally only saw one other manual one available within 500-600 miles from here the 2 months I was looking. And I've never seen black accent pieces like that. But going by the wheels, they basically rattle-canned it. For 16k? Jesus.

I'll be the first to admit I haven't, nor probably ever will hoon the AWD enough to judge its shortcomings. And I don't realistically expect it to be some kind of STI competitor. It's a 10 year old example of a one-year testbed built on a 20-year old GM midsize platform. There's a reason depreciation made it reachable. That said- it's extremely nice and dead-level planted in curves, even under hard acceleration (which is the big difference I notice over my dear-departed FWD '06).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

There's only like 800 NG 9-5s in the US, right? Can't imagine how few are the base manuals. I'm coming up on sinking money into the 911, so need to reframe the search time for one of these accordingly. Passed on an auto that had a coin sized scratch to the metal that was touched up but otherwise well maintained. Only 8500.

Not quite that rare, just seems so. 3,419.

https://www.esaabparts.com/saab/production/data/9-5_2010_2011.php

Or if you want to drill down into the data to a ridiculous degree:

http://9-5sc2012.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Saab_9-5NG_Production_Report_v1_1.pdf

Now if you want holy poo poo rare, look for a NG 9-5 SportCombi

http://9-5sc2012.com/

Twenty-seven.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

How many actual still-running Saab dealerships are there still around?

We ran into Flikkema Saab on the way out of Chicago:

http://flikkemasaab.com/

Something about the idea of businesses clinging onto dead brands is just so plucky.

They had a beautiful 25th Anniversary blue convertible 9-3 there, but for $15k....no.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Bipolar Transistor posted:

So, have an odd new issue with an OG9-5. It's electrical somewhere, because fuse 3 activates courtesy lights and both in the trunk (normally parking lights). Never seen that before.

Just found a fun one myself- there are 3 amber LED side markers set into the headlight assembly on the post refresh 9-3 (US spec only, it seems). Mine are out on one side (I knew this buying the car, figured it was an easy fix down the road.)

It's not.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344761

There was a TSB from Saab on how to add a resistor to the headlight assembly (once you get it open, which requires baking it in the loving oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes, but it turns out that only fixes a problem with the LEDs on the "eyebrow". There is no fix for the side LEDs.

Except for a new 600 dollar headlight assembly.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Seat leather looks bad, but that's one of the easiest things on earth to fix.

There's some aftermarket buttons around the Facebook groups, here's the dude's email:

saabsolutions@yahoo.com

9500 for the Aero XWD seems pretty nice. I'd be curious about those service records.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I emailed but didn't hear a response. Is he active on the FB group?

I don't know. Just found it through searching.

Well, I know for sure I have a Saab now. Rear window gear crunched with the door open. 3rd time in 2 cars.

I guess if they had to have a weak point, it could have been lots worse.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Are these national FB groups that I could join?

Not sure; most of my better info came from SaabCentral, but there's still a surprising dearth of information on a few things out there. For example, the eLSD fluid change; I've found one thread with some bad photos, and I'm still leery of pulling the thing off for maintenance. I've changed all the fluids by this point except for that, and there was nothing out there about changing the automatic transmission fluid. Even the WIS software was a little confusing, but we finally figured it out. It's actually a pretty neat (if weird) design on the drain tube underneath.

I think there's a few ex-Saab techs (and of course, the "I work on Swedish cars" mechanic-types) around Facebook, but I don't really spend much time there so I'm no help.

One thing to be leery of with the 9-5NGs (I was looking at them too until I got the Turbo X) is that mechanically, you're pretty much up to your own devices. There is practically no how-tos, videos, or walkthroughs that I've ever seen.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Guess who bought an 2010 9-5 Aero sight unseen on eBay and is having a shop replace all the timing chain stuff?

Well, the quickest way to get in the pool is both feet towards the deep end.

Post pics when you can. The idea of owning an NG is both scary and alluring.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The V6 in this Turbo X puts out a frightening amount of heat. I'm used to my old 2.0T and it was nowhere near as hot after a freeway drive; now I've seen a little bit of discoloration on the plastic engine cover on the side near the turbo and you can't touch anything in the engine bay afterward for a good half hour.

I realize I'm being nanny-ish, but where's a good place to start trying to bring the under-hood temps down just as a preventive measure? I've already replaced a vacuum line that split near the end; I'm not saying the heat did it, but it probably didn't help.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

spog posted:

Have you got an electric fan with a timer/temp sensor ?

Yes, and it runs for several minutes after I shut off if I drove it for more than a few miles.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Think I'm gonna detail the STX up and take it to Cruisin' the Coast this year. WIth one of those kinda-for-sale-what-the-hell-worth-a-shot signs. I'm fine owning it for several years, I'm fine selling it if someone bites at 15k and getting a ride home.

The more I see listed, the more I think I got away cheap buying mine for 10k. If I see the unicorn (manual wagon) ever come up for sale at a non-stupid price, I'd buy it even before I sell this one.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Turbo X being parted out.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/pts/d/parting-out-2008-saab-9-3/6679791744.html

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Doug DeMuro rented (?!) a last-gen Saab 9-5. Basically, "meh".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj2DtHCCa0c

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Donate to my Kickstarter

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

nadmonk posted:

I had had a power steering leak from the banjo bolt on the power steering pressure hose on my 2005 Saab 9-3 Linear.

Tightening it down seemed to resolve the leak, but I noticed after a little bit when I checked the fluid level, that the CHF11 fluid was decidedly not clear.
I figured the PS pump seal or gasket might be to blame.

There also seemed to be plenty of oil coating the drivers side of the engine and suspected with a small oil leak from the PS pump or the other likely culprit, the brake boost vacuum pump.
I figured I would replace the seal and gaskets on both.

Fluid looking not so hot:

Pump and reservoir off and drained, here is the CHF11 that came out of it:

Oil does seem to have gotten behind the seal:

The old gasket also had a weird indentation in it:

I also broke one of the fittings on the coolant reservoir thanks to the brittle plastic:

The gasket for the brake vacuum pump wasn't broken when I took it out, but it was definitely brittle:

Other than a bit of spilled oil and power steering fluid, those two jobs were pretty straight forward.
I replaced the thermostat while I had those bits off and decent accessibility along with a new throttle body to hopefully resolve a ECU TPS code that periodically has been getting thrown.

How much did a new reservoir cost?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

A thousand for that? I’m assuming with labor then?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

My biggest worry are what would have been dealer level repairs (Tech II stuff). For instance, the ignition switch module is throwing errors and making it hard to get out of Park. I’m eventually gonna pull it out and look for loose contacts, but if it needs a new (300 dollar) one, the closest shop that might be able to do it is 3 hours away.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

keykey posted:

You can always just go to a GM dealer for Saab tech 2 programming ... Unless that’s the closest one that’s 3 hours away. :(

Tried, the Chevy places here won’t touch it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Man, my tires are shot. Well, that's about 500 bucks.

You know, I'd love to finally cure this curb rash that came with the car. Cool, there's a guy who quoted me 500 bucks to fix them.

Uh-oh- looks like that rear shock is broke. Well, we knew this day would come eventually. Nivomat Day. There goes 1100 bucks.

poo poo. Front shocks don't look that great either. There's about 400 bucks, might as well get the Bilstein B6s while I'm at it.

Goddamn. Look at the lip on those rotors. And they had been shuddering so I know one of them's warped. Hell, these look like the original rotors. Might as well swap them and pads at the same time. Oh, thank god. That's only another 400 bucks.

Torn CV boot slinging grease and you can't replace it without replacing the entire halfshaft assembly? Welp, that's 450.

I am going to be so pissed when someone hits this car and totals it 2 weeks later.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

FYI in case any of you had Turbo X dreams- the rear springs are not in stock anywhere. In the world. Yes, I checked. On three continents.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Invalido posted:

That sucks. I thought I'd try to help out with some googling in swedish, but that didn't turn up anything OEM. However, when I checked the nationwide junkyard network (https://www.bildelsbasen.se) and input a number plate from what I think is a suitable 9-3 xwd aero (is that even the right car?) I found using image google, a bunch of rear springs from disassembled cars turned up. Unfortunately I can't seem to post working links to that site, but it should be possible to navigate it using auto translate and the images.
edit: the site has a british flag that turns some of it into english, but it's not great, lots of swedish remains.

Do these look right or did I mess up?

I can get junkyard springs, but they’re a dice roll. I don’t know if they’ll be in any better shape than mine (which aren’t broke, but do have 130k miles on them).

I put my info in one of those part finders for junkyards and I poo poo you not, within 20 seconds my phone rang, and places across the country are blowing up my phone.

Appreciate you looking tho :)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Yeah I almost bought an NG 9-5 but the unicorn factor scared the poo poo out of me.

Maybe as a 3rd car, but not a DD with monthly payments

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Invalido posted:

I hear ya. JY parts are perfectly fine for certain things, less so for other things. I got home from work and searched some more, might could be there are new springs to be had after all. Do you know the parts number you're looking for?

God I’d be so grateful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Invalido posted:

These guys seem to have what you're looking for (or at least they claim they can get it from somewhere else and sell it on, accepting no returns because of this)

https://shop.speedparts.se/en/prod/saab-oem/bakfjader-13.html

Unless they're full of poo poo they should be able to ship two springs to the U.S. for $235 or thereabout - shipping alone is about a hundred.
There's a bunch of non-genuine SUPLEX brand springs for cheaper from the usual German getting places, but I guess you don't want those.

Sent them an email. Much appreciated.