Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Uh-oh. Looks like Koenigsegg is bailing out of the Saab deal. I wonder what will become of Saab now? Probably sold to the chinese for pocket change, I'd imagine.

http://www.thelocal.se/23458/20091124/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I'm currently looking to replace my dinky little '84 Jetta with some manner of mid-90's Saab, preferably a 9000 CSE or something along those lines. I see them popping up on the local used car site every now and then for rather decent amounts of money, so I inquired for some sage advice from a friend who's far more knowledgable about cars than I am and he suggested that if I wanted a used 9000 that I should probably try to go for a (relatively) low mileage non-turbo version as they are less likely to have had the poo poo flogged out of them. He also pointed out that the mid-90's 9000's are built on the same platform as the Alfa Romeo 164/Fiat Croma and as such they are also prone to the dreaded Fiat rust, and that it's worth shelling out a bit of extra cash for a relatively rust-free specimen. So basically non-turbo, no rust and, if possible, low mileage to minimize the risk of any headaches later on.

Sounds like good advice to me, but oh god it would be sweet to have a turbo :ohdear: Are the turbos prone to trouble? Any other potentially expensive warning signs I should be aware of?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Thanks a lot, I guess I'll look for a non-turbo'd version then. Do the later models, say '95-'96, still have the lovely traction control/throttle body issues though? Also, how are the manual transmission vs the automatics? Doesn't really matter to me which one I have, but I assume that if any of them have realiability issues it'll probably be the automatic.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

So yeah, today I downed enough ritalin to work myself up into buying this:

2000 Saab 9-3. Feels like quite an upgrade over my worn old Jetta. Power steering! ABS! CD stereo! Fuel injection! Power windows! Airbags! Air conditioning! Turbo! Traction control! It's like driving around in some sort of techno-futurist utopia.

There some minor things wrong with it though. The trip computer and climate control displays are dead and dying respectively (are those even fixable?), one of the panels in the passenger's side door is loose and I'm pretty sure the air conditioning needs a refill. Everything else appears to be working as far as I can tell, so all in all it seems to be in pretty good shape.

I would rather have had those sweet Saab three-spoke wheels on it but considering that I got a fairly good deal on the thing I can't really complain. I just hope some horrific mechanical defect doesn't reveal itself within the next few days :ohdear:

Next step: order some prancing moose stickers.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 29, 2010

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Karl Barks posted:

Your car looks awesome, congratulations. If you're talking about the thing at the top of the center dash that has all the information on gas, temp, etc, that thing is called the Saab Information Display(SID). They break like no other. There are a few guides on the internet on how to fix them if you just google. I tried to do it on mine and wasn't too succesful, but I know there are people who will get it working just fine for around 100 bucks on Ebay.

Thanks! And yes, that's exactly the thing that's dead. Per your recommendation I just did a search for it on ebay and saw this place which offers to fix the thing and send it back to you, as long as you're willing to rip it out of your dashboard yourself: link

Very tempting I must say, would be swell to have at least one of those displays fully functional. I think I'll go out tomorrow and see if it's possible to gingerly pry it out with a thin little nail file or something. What kind of implement did you use to remove the unit from the dash?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Ok, I managed to yank the SID module out of the dash (that was surprisingly easy). I'll try the DIY solution in that 9-5 guide, updates to follow on how badly I mess up!

Edit: I opened the thing up and had a look, and it appears the ribbon cable is partly torn at the point where it connects with the main circuit board. I also noticed a tiny hole on the ribbon cable that looked slightly burned, like there had been a little short or something. Tried to be methodical about it and took some pictures of the damage, only to realize that I had forgotten to put the camera memory card back in. :downsgun:

I'll piece it back together and put it back in the car for now, if some other solution doesn't magically appear I think I'll send it to the ebay repair place next week and hope for the best.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 3, 2010

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Yeah, BBA is looking like an increasingly good deal. Even though I live in Sweden every domestic SID repair place I've looked at is charging about twice as much than BBA. Oh well!

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

ssh posted:

It's gorgeous. Congratulations. You are in the 'sludge' zone.

Make sure you've got the PCV update installed. Change your oil more often than every 10k; I change it in my 2k 9-5 about every 5k, at most. Make drat sure your oil light comes on when you first start the car to show that it's working, and if it ever comes on during idle/high revs/etc, it's time to stop driving, immediately.

The SID dying is a very common problem, and as you are aware, is quite easy to replace.

Edit: Not meant to be a plug, but check out SaabNet. Chat/basic forums are incredibly 1996, but they're free, and invaluable

I'll definitely be changing the oil regularly. According to its service book it had its oil + oil filter replaced in october last year, so I suppose it's about time again soon.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 3, 2010

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

What kind of oil do you people use, I assume some good quality synthetic would be in order? Maybe with some sludge-dissolving compounds, or does that risk breaking up any potential sludge and causing it to clog up other parts of the engine?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

nevermind, can't read

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 8, 2010

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Victory :toot:

Got my repaired SID back today. As soon as I plopped it in it told me to check the brake lights, fill up the coolant and windshield washing fluid. Thanks! All that was left of the coolant was a tiny little puddle on the bottom of the overflow tank, so I hope there isn't a leak somewhere.

Next step: oil change.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Ouch, that must be annoying as hell when you're driving during the night. As far as I can tell all my LED's still work, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. The climate control display is half-dead though, so it's a bit difficult to tell what I'm doing when I'm trying to set up the air conditioning. But that's a rather minor complaint, I suppose.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

keykey posted:

Found the answer to my own question is yes, all the Saabs I pulled the part from had the orange high beam relay ending in 070 from the 92-04 model. Our local Pick N Pull has had about 4 of them for $5 a piece which beats cracking them open and soldering.

For what it's worth, I had almost exactly the same problem as you on the 2000 9-3 I bought about two months ago (left highbeam was refusing to work). The hardest part about repairing it was prying the drat thing out of that orange plastic housing. So really, if someone as mechanically inept as me can fix it, anyone can. There weren't any visible cracks or anything but I soldered the connections anyways and, bam, the highbeams work again. I think it was the first time I had soldered something in like 20 years. :v:

This is the area you need to solder:

Click here for the full 743x491 image.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Captain Crunk posted:

and for a little more bitching my car needs (you don't have to read this if you don't want):
*New brakes all around (pads/rotors)
*New motor mounts - it's hard to shift after acceleration and my shifter moves like 5+" on a good rip through 2nt
*Me to install the new shifter bushings (take apart console yay)
*Transmission rebuilt - it leaks expensive fluid like a drat sieve and is always dry, this has hosed up the syncro for 3'rd and it's rough to shift into second
*New CV axles as the boots have been ripped for some time. No clicking yet, but I know it will happen one day.
*New tires all around
*SID and ACC fix
*Me to finally order the drat heater core hoses and replace them (such a bitch due to space, and I can only find the hose online because of different size input/outputs)
*New suspension bushings anyways as it creaks and groans like the Titanic
*Me to finally swap over the rear pass window motor mechanism from the junkyard door - drill out the drat rivets (WHY USE RIVETS?) for both doors and swap

at least the new turbo makes it haul rear end... :smith:

I'm about to become a destitute student so I feel your pain, if it's any consolation. I have a constantly growing list of things I need to have fixed. Crankcase ventilation would probably be on the top of the list, but other than that the brake callipers look disturbingly rusted and the brakes also tend to squeal quite vigourously at times, so a brake job would probably be in order. Then there's the air conditioning which doesn't work, which is somewhat annoying since it's the hottest summer on record. The aerial is bent and won't retract properly, could probably use a new set of summer tires, also need to get a new set of winter tires before October or so, and the power mirrors don't work because one of the previous owners managed to rip off the driver's side rear view mirror and... and...

:suicide:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Black 9-3 you say? Sounds like it could be a looker.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

That looks slick, congratulations. A neighbour of mine has one of those (though not black) and every time I walk past it in the parking lot I feel a slight pang of jealousy.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Some further rumours/speculation about Saab building a BMW Mini-based 9-2. Sounds sensible to me (if there's any truth in it), can't really blame Saab for wanting to minimize development costs and it seems like a solid platform to build a small car on, despite the fact that I've never been a big fan of the Mini. Article also include some tidbits about Victor Muller wanting to build some manner of sporty 9-3 based thing inspired by the 1966 Sonett. Just try to ignore the hideous rendering.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/254998/saab_bmw_to_build_92.html#ixzz0vRp5l99f

argh spelling

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 2, 2010

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

ssh posted:

For a pointless bump:

Here they are, all in a row, by build date in descending order!

I'm considering painting the slug lime green and gluing googly eyeballs to it. [Y/n?]

[Protip: First and second are different colors, iPhone sucks. One keychain is silver, one's gold.]

Those two on the left are awesome, I love the old timey Saab logo with the head-on airplane. Sadly, my key is a dull lump of black plastic like the one on the right.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Have they started delivering the new 9-5 yet? I saw it for the first time in the wild the other day outside of Stockholm. Only got the briefest of glimpses but I like the new luxo-barge lines they're going with, though it looked suspiciously much like some sort of test mule with its simple black steel wheels.

Edit: Oh and I just found this, RWD Saab wagon :pwn:

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 7, 2010

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Real 9-3's have roofs :colbert:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

ssh posted:

I looked at one last year and the guy wanted $9k for it, then decided not to sell - even though I didn't even make an offer. They will do 230hp w/ minimal effort.

Ah yes, I remember Saab kind of made a big deal about the in-gear acceleration of these (and later models for that matter), with them being able to go from 40-60mph faster than some Porsches and Ferraris. Pretty cool for being a 4-door FWD sedan I guess!

Before I decided on the 2k 9-3 I now own I was looking for a 9000. One of Saab's better looking models if you ask me, there's something about that wedge-like profile and squinty headlights I really dig. I also love the three-spoke wheels some of them came with.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Dumb question: If your Saab has air conditioning there should be a button with a snowflake on it on the dash somewhere, right?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

SaabFanatic posted:

Just bought this one. Sludged and seized. May just use to steal parts off of. '99 9-3 SE w/ good top, OK parts, and most of the parts. Guy wanted $200 for the IDM, so he can keep it (I didn't have the heart to tell him he was storing it upside down :v:). I'll take the rest, even though the interior is thrashed.

What the gently caress is wrong with me? :iiam:

That's your 4th Saab then? drat you americans and your low vehicle taxes :argh:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Karl Barks posted:

Haha, your logo is silver as well. Someone has got to sell those - I hate that mine is worn away.

http://speedparts.se/shop/prod/res_dekaler_och_emblem.shtml

Site is based in Sweden but I think they ship internationally.

Four Banger posted:

Well I did it...

Congratulations, hope you'll like it :neckbeard:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

8ender posted:

Since this is a 99' I'm assuming it has the B204 and doesn't suffer from the sludging problems?

As far as I understand it, no. You lucky bastard.

8ender posted:

Anything else I should really look out for?

If it's anything like my 2000 9-3 then the lamp control box might be prone to glitches which may cause your highbeams not to function properly (one or both may not work), though that should be easily fixed with some simple soldering. And I assume your SID is dead or dying?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

So joy of joys, today when I was out driving the airbag warning light randomly came on. This better not be expensive.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Alright, I'll be tooling around a bit for the next few days and see what happens. Fingers are crossed, I kinda panicked when the warning light came on since I won't be able to pony up for any major repairs on my brittle student loan economy.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Lately I've noticed a rapidly pulsing wobble sound from the front right wheel (I think) of my 2k 9-3. It only appears when I'm going 55 mph or above, and the steering wheel tends to vibrate a bit when accelerating above those speeds. I've been driving around on a lot of badly paved roads filled with ice potholes this winter which has knocked the car around quite a bit, so would I be correct in thinking that I need a wheel alignment?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

So the fuel pump in my 9-3 randomly crapped out today when I was in the middle of a rainstorm. The tow truck driver offered up some Confucian advice in saying that "things don't always turn out as planned". No poo poo.

I was too busy feeling sorry for myself to check the service log to see if the fuel pump had at any point been replaced (don't think it has). From what I've gathered replacing it is a pain in the rear end deal that involves you either A) needing to drop the fuel tank or B) cutting up the framework to get at it?

I won't be able to fix this by myself unless I have access to a reasonably well equipped garage, will I? Cause I just told the tow guy to dump it at the local repair shop.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Thanks for that, I'll see what the mechanic says and then I'll decide how ambitious I feel about changing the thing. It's PROBABLY the fuel pump, but I'm not 100% sure.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

It wasn't the fuel pump, it was the DI cartridge. Oh god, my money :gonk:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Well, the mechanic called me up bright and early this morning and told me that he'd installed a brand new DI cassette for me. He did mention that I could get a used one on the cheap if I felt like it, but advised against getting a critical part like that used, which I guess makes sense.

Cost a small fortune, but oh well, guess I don't have to worry about it for a while. Thanks for the advice keykey, I'll try to keep that in mind if (when) the DI cassette craps out again.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Aha, I see. And yeah, I know it's easy as hell to replace, had I realized that's what it was (I probably should have) I would just have told the tow truck guy to dump off the car outside my house and I would have taken care of it.

\/\/ Forgot about that, but I can comfort myself with knowing that contacting Saab about it would have been a bit of a long shot to begin with.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 13, 2011

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

fyo posted:

Anyone following Saab's fight to stay afloat?

Apparently a big investment deal with some Chinese companies went sour, and this week Saab needs to be able to show that they still have a reasonable shot at securing the funds needed to continue.

Saw this one several swedish news outlets today: http://www.thelocal.se/37012/20111028/

Saab is now 100% Chinese-owned (like Volvo), Muller just sold the whole shebang to Pang Da/Youngman.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

fyo posted:

Interesting stuff, considering I was under the impression that Pang Da/Youngman's investment deal fell through because of their desire to outright purchase Saab, but who knows what the hell was going on in their negotiations.

What happened was that Pang Da/Youngman wanted to buy Saab for 200 million kronor, which amounts to pocket change in this business. Muller told them to up the offer or gently caress off, which they did, and they bought Saab for 900 million yesterday.

Can't say I'm thrilled about Saab being China-owned, but it was either that or bankruptcy.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Kim Jong III posted:

:smith:

Any knowledgeable Swedes want to chime in on bankruptcy laws in Sweden? Any chance that someone can step in this late in the game?

While I know virtually nothing about bankruptcy law here, I think the way it works is that once Saab has been put into bankruptcy mode the National Debt Office takes over and tries to sell its assets in order to pay off suppliers and loans. As for the poor employees at the plant in Trollhättan, the state guarantees them pay for the three months before the date the bankruptcy claim is filed, so at least they're not quite poo poo out of luck just yet.

The way bankruptcy law is designed here it's technically possible for someone to swoop in and gobble up all the Saab assets at bargain basement prices (as long as they're not Chinese or Russian, apparently) and possibly resurrect the company should they choose to do so, but the way things have been going lately I wouldn't hold my breath.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I think there must be a crack in the oil pan on my 9-3 the roughly size of the Grand Canyon, just noticed that its gushing oil like a goddamned geyser. What a loving mess.

:ughh:

I only ever come into this thread anymore to bitch when my 9-3 decides to break down.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 6, 2012

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Viggen posted:

E: Can you see where it's coming from? The oil pan isn't that big of a deal, as long as the loving carb is cool.

It's coming from somewhere on the right side of the engine (right if you're sitting in the car). I'm going to put a piece of cardboard underneath it tomorrow so I can try to see where exactly it's coming from. According to the dipstick there's still some oil left in there even if it's leaking quite vigorously, and there's no oil/check engine warning lights flashing on the dash... yet.

What worries me is that the oil that still is in the car seems to be quite murky, even though I had an oil change about two months ago.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 6, 2012

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Yeah, my parking spot could double as one of those tar pits you fish dinosaur fossils out of.

Post-mechanic trip report: wasn't the oil, it was leaking fuel. Couldn't tell the difference on the asphalt.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Viggen posted:

What's wrong with your nose?

The gasoline stink had evaporated by the time I noticed the spill. The ground was also freezing cold which probably dulled the odor pretty effectively.