Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«45 »
Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Shadow0 posted:

Can I post about New Zealand here? It's basically Australia, right?

There's an actual NZ Pol thread in D&D you might have more luck in. Mentioning that you think NZ and Australia are the same might not win you many friends there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr Chips posted:

There's an actual NZ Pol thread in D&D you might have more luck in. Mentioning that you think NZ and Australia are the same might not win you many friends there.

HookShot posted:

"Hi, people from Australia. Can you all tell me what life is like in a completely different country that's a three hour flight from yours?"

Don't worry, it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek; I know they are different places with different situations etc, that's why I asked if it was okay to ask about New Zealand here.
If there's a thread for New Zealand specifically, then I'll go post there. Thanks!

(Is the thread about New Zealand politics really better for this kind of question though? That seems even less of a fit for my question.)

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at Jul 19, 2017 around 04:45

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Seeing as there are people in that thread who actually live in the place you're talking about, yeah, I think it's more relevant.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

If you're trying to get a feel for visa regulations, employment practices etc, then NZpol might be OK. Or maybe just start a NZ threat in T&T

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

khysanth posted:

When you're down in Sydney, again grab a rental car and drive west to Blue Mountains National Park. You can do most of Sydney in 2-3 days.

I know people say this. I know I've said so on occasion in the past, but I don't think it's true. I'm born and bred in Sydney and I still discover new places to see and things to do here that I reckon are well worth the time for out of towners as well.

Busy Bee
Jul 12, 2004

What is your guy's opinion on visiting Perth for about 4 days? I see a lot of talk of Queensland area including Brisbane along with Sydney and Melbourne but not much about Perth. Worth visiting?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

It's probably OK for a day or two. Margaret River is a few hours drive to the south and has some great scenery, wineries and surfing. If you've got longer, head north to Ningaloo Reef where you can dive with whale sharks. It's almost as good as the Barrier Reef, but nowhere near as crowded (or developed, honestly).

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

Perth itself can be seen in pretty much a day (two if you include a day at Fremantle). The rest of your time depends on your interests. But my suggestion for a week would be the following.

If you head west up to Kalgoorlie you can visit Wave Rock (3 hours), the pump stations (visit one of the saddest engineering stories in Australia) and then once you get to Kal, view the super pit. Stay the night in Kal, visit the oldest brothel in Australia on the guided tour (itís actually quite interesting). Next morning, go to the super pit observation point, with luck you can watch a blast.

Get prepped up for a long drive and head to Esperance via Norseman. Stop at Norseman for a photo op with the sign (Adelaide left, Perth right). Stay in Esperance for two nights and chill in one of the most remote cities in Australia.

Next drive is along the south coast to Albany, on the drive you can take in the only mountain in the south of WA. Stay in Albany for a night.

Next is a drive to the Margaret River for 2 nights, relax for the drive day and do a wine tour the next. You canít really go wrong with this.

Your next choice is straight back to Perth or a night in Bunbury where you can try for swimming with Dolphins. Donít take the freeway back to Perth, instead head back via Harvey and experience the English countryside from films that doesnít exist in England.

Uterine Lineup
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Any recommendations on where to stay for 3-4 days to see the Great Barrier Reef? I wasn't sure if we should be looking to stay somewhere in Cairns, go to one of the smaller island resorts, or charter a boat.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Port Douglas if you want a town, Palm Cove if you want a resort

bee
Dec 17, 2008
Fitness Goal: To bench press at least one teenage Defiant Sally.

Busy Bee posted:

What is your guy's opinion on visiting Perth for about 4 days? I see a lot of talk of Queensland area including Brisbane along with Sydney and Melbourne but not much about Perth. Worth visiting?

If you go to Margaret River, there's some pretty cool limestone caves in the area that you might like to check out. The other things that I enjoyed while there were Eagle's Heritage, which is a native bird/raptor rehabilitation facility, and the Olive Grove distillery. You go and pay $10 for the liquor tasting, and become thoroughly inebriated in the process.

Django
Dec 22, 2004

Django Grimehart

Iíve been living in Melbourne the last six months. (I only recently started posting on here again after a lengthy absence). As part of a little tour of Australia before we go traveling in NZ and Asia, Iím going to Tasmania for a week with my girlfriend. Flying into Hobart (and then flying out to Adelaide). Looking to hire a car, stay in Hobart a couple of nights, head up the East Coast, head across to Launceston from the cape, see Cradle Mountain, head across to Queenstown and the Wert Coast then head back to Hobart and fly out. Weíll be staying in AirBNBs and the like across the trip.

So far weíre looking to visit.
Hobart, Port Arthur, Wineglass Bay, Bay of Fires, Little Blue Lake, a few wineries and restaurants that have been recommended, Mole Creek Caves, Cradle Mountain, Dove Lake, Strahan, Queenstown, Gordon Dam, Lake Peddlar, Bruny Island

Just wanted to know if this sounded feasible. I realise some of these places we may not be able to fully explore. I also wanted to know if others had any recommendations?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

Do you like whiskey? There's a couple of distilleries near where you're heading in Tasmania that are quite good.

Django
Dec 22, 2004

Django Grimehart

Lizard Combatant posted:

Do you like whiskey? There's a couple of distilleries near where you're heading in Tasmania that are quite good.

Tell me more! Got a few wineries recommended to us, but a whiskey trip would be appreciated.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

Django posted:

Tell me more! Got a few wineries recommended to us, but a whiskey trip would be appreciated.

I only got to see a couple when I was there but this should put you on the right path.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Also this for Tassie Whisky.

http://www.drinktasmania.com.au/project/whisky-tours/

And go to Mona. You can grab a ferry from the Murray St Pier.

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?

I'm afraid I can't give you advice/opinions on what I think you should cut, but I think it'll be quite a task to fit all of that into one week. It's probably doable, but it'll be very rushed.

Django
Dec 22, 2004

Django Grimehart

A few things have made the cut; Maria Island, Bruny Island, Mole Creek Caves. I imagine during the fullness of time more will go too!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Lizard Combatant posted:

What distillery in Tasmania is 'quite good'?

I enjoyed the Nant tour but the actual whiskey itself was average at best. I bought a bottle of Hellyer's 'original' and it was straight up awful (although their pinot noir cask one is nice, albeit unusual). I'm pretty sure I've had another whose name escapes me that was similarly forgettable.

I saw Sullivan's Cove at a bar in Salamanca when I was out celebrating something, $35/dram. I asked the bartender and she said she'd never seen anyone have a second one, so I skipped it. To be fair that's the award winning one so maybe I'm missing out on something great, but I had another one of their whiskies at a tasting and wasn't particularly impressed.

I know whisky is one of the sacred cows of Tasmanian tourism, but my experience has been that it is criminally overrated and overpriced.

Django posted:

I’m going to Tasmania for a week with my girlfriend. Flying into Hobart (and then flying out to Adelaide). Looking to hire a car, stay in Hobart a couple of nights, head up the East Coast, head across to Launceston from the cape, see Cradle Mountain, head across to Queenstown and the Wert Coast then head back to Hobart and fly out. We’ll be staying in AirBNBs and the like across the trip.

So far we’re looking to visit.
Hobart, Port Arthur, Wineglass Bay, Bay of Fires, Little Blue Lake, a few wineries and restaurants that have been recommended, Mole Creek Caves, Cradle Mountain, Dove Lake, Strahan, Queenstown, Gordon Dam, Lake Peddlar, Bruny Island

Just wanted to know if this sounded feasible. I realise some of these places we may not be able to fully explore. I also wanted to know if others had any recommendations?

Maybe do the Cataract Gorge in Launceston, but don't feel too bad if you skip it and just stop for lunch/petrol and get out. There is little else there of interest. Queenstown has the Iron Blow Lookout to hop out and take a photo at, but the town itself is dying and doesn't really have much to offer.

I like Stanley in the NW, but it might be a little out of the way for you. Wall in the Wilderness was also surprisingly good and worth it (maybe not in terms of artistic vision, but certainly in terms of skill/craftsmanship), although it's out the back of Bourke.

Bruny Island is OK but I find its popularity baffling; you have to coordinate an annoying wait for the ferry to get some good-but-not-terribly-unique scenery you can find elsewhere in Tas. There's a car park on the Neck now. I'd definitely recommend skipping it if you're on a limited timetable.

South of Hobart can be a nice day trip: follow the coast and get breakfast at the Margate Train, then pop into Geeveston and do the platypus walk and head further south for the Tahune Airwalk. Hasting's Cave is down that way-ish and is OK, although if you've been to any major caves overseas it'll probably underwhelm.

Strathgordon is quite a detour, but it's a really nice drive out there. I thought I might want to try the abseiling until I actually got there and looked over the edge... nooope!

In Hobart, I prefer the Tasmanian Museum and Gallery to MONA, but I agree that the latter should definitely be on a visitor's itinerary (and the current travelling exhibition is good). Mawson Huts is also really good if you have any interest in the history of Antarctic exploration, but the experience in part depends on the quality of the volunteer on the day.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at Feb 2, 2018 around 22:29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?

Ethics_Gradient posted:

What distillery in Tasmania is 'quite good'?

If you get the chance, try some Overeem and/or Belgrove.

«45 »