Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I Am Hydrogen posted:

You can try applying from outside of the country, but anyone interested is going to want to call you, and I'm not sure how keen they'll be on calling an international number. Plus there's the whole interview thing. Might be worth a try though. I didn't start applying until I entered the country.

Even if you can't walk into a job, there's definitely not a lack of jobs in the other industries where you can do menial work, i.e. Day labouring, or working in in retail till you get a job in your preferred industry, pay isn't too bad in most of these areas. i.e. 600-800 per week depending on hours and age. At least you'll survive.

Also if you have a qualified trade, builder, plumber, carpenter, etc, there's plenty of work in and around the brisbane area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Rhandhali posted:

Thanks for the advice. I found out Thursday that I'm heading out that way so I'm still figuring out what's what. The University has housing, and off-campus housing that looks petty reasonable on the surface. I'll be there for two years or four years, depending on how things work out in my program.

How is the living situation around the St. Lucia campus? Is having my own transportation required, or can I get by on public transport/feet?

You'll have 0 issues with public transport to UQ. I went there for 5 years and never once had an issue. You'll need to organise a touch and go card when you arrive though through the dept of transport's website.