Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Aussie reporting in. Just sold all my poo poo and am going to busk and fruit pick my way from Melbourne to Cairns with only 500 bucks in the bank. Should be an interesting time, I am going with a friend with a van for a while so won't need to lug around tent/trangia just yet. I'll try and put in some updates on doing Australia on the cheap, I'm sure I will get some good knowledge (hosed over) over the months to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
lmao if you're not driving bush in an 80's/90's hilux with a swag in the back

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Flatulance-a-lot posted:

My brother and his girlfriend are moving to Melbourne next week from the US. Is there any cool poo poo they should be on the lookout for tourism/city poo poo? Also, any quality of life stuff they should be worried about/on the look out for? Really any information at all about differences between US/Australia would be appreciated. They have jobs/housing secured.

Get a Myki, don't go further north than brunswick, eat/drink all the things.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

SonicDefiance posted:

If you don't go further north than Brunswick, then you miss out on the magical booze den that is Carwyn Cellars.

Forays into Northcote/Thornbury recommended. Coburg has good turkish food!

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
:chloe:

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Welcome to Melbourne!

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

There's no real "bad side" to Melbourne is there, besides north I guess? Like in my home town the further southeast you get the worse it is, but it seems a little less simplistic there. Geography also plays a huge role in what's nice here, i.e. being near mountains and/or beaches, but Melbourne beach areas aren't necessarily nice, and there's no tangible separation between neighbourhoods?

Currently living in an airbnb just counting down the days until I can move...

na not rly just a never ending labyrinth of suburbs and train lines

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Chainclaw posted:

We're traveling to Australia from Seattle soon, is weed legal in Australia yet? Google's not super clear to me, it looks like maybe medical marijuana is legal?

medical marijuana is in some states but its hard as poo poo to get from what I hear. Still, weeds everywhere you just can't smoke it in public.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Ok the Melbourne move is getting real, looking at airbnbs for mid February for our first three months while we get set up. Found one on Jeffcoat st and King st. Looks a bit industrial to the west but crime and that poo poo is ok I hope? More worried about that for my wife than me since I've lived in lots of sketchy places. Basically a block from the CBD should be nice? Yeah nah or nah yeah, my fellow Aussies?

You'll be right in the thick of it that's for sure. It's very close to Southern Cross station and King Street is a busy city artery during the day and full of seedy bars, clubs and strip clubs at night. Don't worry about the Docklands you'll never be heading that direction anyway. As for crime, Melbourne is pretty safe but it is still a city of 5 million people. I'd say it would be great if you're solo and want to get stuck in but if you have a wife/family it might be a bit much. Saying that my gran stayed at some poo poo hole hotel she booked herself on King St and she loved it. Found her hanging out with a bunch of drag queens in a bar after dark.

If I were you I'd try and get something in Prahan or St Kilda or Fitzroy/Brunswick. Might be a more gentle way to get your bearings and they have a lot more character and substance than the CBD.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Ah if you guys are from Van than yea you'll fit right in.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Saladman posted:

Ugh, coffee has somehow gotten even worse in the US in the past couple years, America decided that if you make bilge slime but let it sit in a refrigerator for 24 hours suddenly makes it refined and amazing. Cold brew might be literally the worst thing ever done to coffee; at least a frappuccino serves as a caffeinated milkshake. I was in SF a few months ago and had to go to three independent coffee shops before I found one that served anything other than cold brew, or pot-roasted coffee left overnight and turned into battery acid and then reheated.

It'd be like if craft brew pub deciding that they will only serve Heineken, PBR, and Shiner, and still then only after they're been left in the sun for 24 hours.

I really don't get the point, you might as well just take caffeine pills.

fresh cold brew is the tits and easy to make at home with some good beans as well but i do imagine NA cold brew tasting like day old hortons coffee so im sorry it pout you off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
canberras a shithole go to tassie for some nice beaches and hiking/food stuff or further up the coast for beaches and bogans