Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

Unless you're working ghoulishly long hours, you still won't have any trouble getting drinks in. Drinking is a 24/7 industry in (some of) Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

I'm in Brisbane with Vodafone. It does what I want it to, however the customer service from Vodafone has been sub-par over the last few years. It was brilliant when I first got it but they've slowly whittled it away to a shell of its former self.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Three was recently bought out by Vodafone, which may (or may not) mean that Vodafone customers will have access to Three infrastructure in the future, and vice versa.

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

Gromit posted:

I drove in there every day when I went, but there are buses and ferries. The nearest train station is Toowong on that side of the river, and I imagine a combined train and bus trip would be popular with students.
Trains run infrequently if you are used to how they are in London or places like that, but off-peak they're every half an hour or so until they stop running for the night.
Take a look on Google Maps to see the lie of the land. It's quite hilly behind St Lucia, so keep that in mind if you like the look of walking or riding a push-bike.

I lived a fair way away whilst studying at St Lucia (about an hour bus into the city, plus another half hour or so in peak, at worst, to St Lucia. Ten to fifteen minutes in a good run from the city). I've walked to Toowong station a few times from the campus, it is possible but I wouldn't want to do it frequently. Your experience will depend highly on where in/near St Lucia you intend on living. Living along Coronation Drive between Toowong and the City means you get a reasonably good bus service in terms of frequency, but it does tend to fill up quickly. Other locations are the opposite.

I have walked from Park Road and Dutton Park station to the campuses as well over the bridge (coming from the city to play touch football). I would actually say, by walking, Park Road is about the same distance to the campus as Toowong.

Moral of the story is to not get too caught up on having to be on the St Lucia side of the river. There's some reasonable accommodation on the Boggo Road side as well.

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

If you come to Brisbane, I'd gladly sit down with you and bitch about the corporate world. Love that thread.

Generally for full-time positions it's always better to be a permanent resident/citizen (especially for Government positions, I think it's required), but to be honest it doesn't hurt to just ask, either the recruitment agency or the HR department for the company that you're interested in. Most are quite happy to answer your call, simply because it means someone is reading the ad and justifying them placing it in the first place (probably bonus points for being overseas interest).