Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

A Time To Chill posted:

I ended up not getting asked about insurance but I did have to prove I was a high school graduate. My guess is it's randomized.

"For this application we want proof of *rolls d20* education!"

If you're from the UK this is not a requirement. All because our NHS is pretty amazing and has a recipriocal agreement that covers all healthcare costs of Brits within Australia.

BuckarooBanzai posted:

For my 457 visa I had to have proof of insurance before the visa was approved.

Regardless of where you're from the health insurance is a direct requirement of the 457 visa whereas it isn't for others. Also pay attention to the requirements for pay as a borderline paying job can lead to you falling below the threshold and if someone notices you can end up with your visa being cancelled.

Pinball Jizzard fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010
You may be right. The only time I've encountered it was during a short period of liver failure and all costs were covered by the agreement.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

freebooter posted:

I was under the impression that reciprocal healthcare (which Australia has with lots of other countries too, I think, like France and Germany) was only for tourists, not people on residency visas.

If not for my experience whilst I was on a 457 visa I would have agreed. I'm guessing residency visas with healthcare requirements generally supercede the need for the recipriocal agreement to be used except under certain circumstances.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010
It's definitely cutting it close. Is it the same operator?

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

It's not, but the thing I have on my side is that I'll be flying on an employee pass for the Sydney -> USA leg, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal if I missed the flight and had to wait til the next day. But it sounds like I have no choice but to check my bag from AKL-SYD bc of weight restrictions for carryons, so that pretty much kills me, I think.

Rechecking means you have near zero chance of making the connection. Sydney is a horrible airport for changing flights and is slow at the best of times. Good luck however.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010
If you're strictly staying in cities or big towns do not buy Telstra. They are easily the worst for charges.

Vodaphone are pretty good pre-paid from previous experiences.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

I like turtles posted:

We're going to be in Sydney from July 3-11 - I've rented a tiny car. Are there any particularly pretty places within a ~4 hour 1 way drive that are must sees?

I like turtles posted:

We're going to be in Sydney from July 3-11 - I've rented a tiny car. Are there any particularly pretty places within a ~4 hour 1 way drive that are must sees?

The Blue Mountains (research where to go). 1-2 hour drive
Hunter Valley wine areas (if you don't have kids). These are pretty much just generic wine country though, so don't bother if you've been to wine country before. 2-3 hour drive
If you have kids Stockton Beach (and Nelson Bay) have lots of tourist boat rides. 3 hour drive

If you come to the Hunter I recommend stopping for lunch at Amanda's on the Edge; Hunter Valley Gardens is awesome and all but it's kind of designed for everyone whereas Amanda's does a nice lunch looking over the vines. If you want to go to Nelson Bay book tours in advance, the Blue Mountains is just incredible.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

khysanth posted:

Thanks again for all the advice so far, this thread has been incredibly helpful in planning our first trip to Australia.

Got our visas handled, booked our Brisbane <--> Cairns flights, looking for just a little bit more advice.

When we get back to Brisbane we are entertaining a few ideas:

1) Stay in Brisbane area and rent a car for a day or two. See what the city has to offer and make a day trip or two to somewhere nearby.
2) Rent a car right away and immediately start a 2-3 day drive (with stops at interesting places [if they exist and are worth going to] to Sydney ($400ish to rent the car in Brisbane and drop it off in Sydney when we fly out, +fuel costs).
3) Fly to Sydney right away ($200 total for both of us) and screw Brisbane/everything in between.

Either way we will be leaving ourselves with 2-4 days for Sydney/surrounding day trips.

Thoughts?

The best option is definitely 2. But you'll need to make sure you have unlimited km's on the rental or you'll get smashed on cost (10c a km).

In total, Brisbane to Sydney is about 12 hours uninterrupted driving. Stopping at Coff's Harbour, Port Macquarie, Nelson Bay and Newcastle would all be worthwhile to do. If you've never visited a wine region before, it can also be worth booking a wine tour in the Hunter Valley as those are always good fun.

If you do stop in Newcastle, I recommend staying the night and enjoying what it has to offer before you hit the bedlam of Sydney. If you are considering that option let me know and I can post some ideas up for stay/eat/visit.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

VorpalBunny posted:

So we leave this Sunday for our epic flight over to Australia, and of course I am rethinking everything I had planned for our trip. We start and end our trip in Brisbane (with a week of campervanning around north of Brisbane - up to Rockhampton, over to Emerald and back down to Brisbane) but I am wondering if we should spend a day or two south of Brisbane. Are there any day trips to islands around Brisbane that we can take three small children on?

Be aware. By going north of Brisbane and inland you are going to see whole lots of nothing. Emerald -> Rockhampton is mining country and you can expect to see a lot of people wearing yellow and orange shirts continually. I worked in Moranbah for about 6 months and I can honestly say there wasn't anything I would want to see in the area. If you're doing this to see something specific, feel free to disregard my comments. I was always more interested as a foreigner in Western Australia's inland given the actual history and stories involved.

The coast will be awesome; I just would worry about going inland and being awed at the vast swathes of nothing but landscape and the odd kangaroo.

Fists Up posted:

Seconding this. Byron Bay is the best thing between Sydney and Brisbane. You could then stop at a much quieter coastal town (of which there are many) or even somewhere just with a small beach and nothing else. Or you could go all the way to the Hunter Valley for another stop. Im guessing thats about 5-6 hours from Byron to the Hunter.

Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie and Nelson Bay make for worthwhile stops on the trip south. Nelson Bay having lots of boat tours and touristy poo poo to do. For the Hunter Valley the best option is always to stay in Newcastle and get a booked wine tour with someone experienced in the area. That is unless you want to play golf and instead should book to stay in the Crowne Plaza Hunter.

Pinball Jizzard fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 19, 2016

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010
Also what type of work. For a lot of industries "Perth" can mean "back of bumfuck nowhere" which raises new things to mention.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010
Perth itself can be seen in pretty much a day (two if you include a day at Fremantle). The rest of your time depends on your interests. But my suggestion for a week would be the following.

If you head west up to Kalgoorlie you can visit Wave Rock (3 hours), the pump stations (visit one of the saddest engineering stories in Australia) and then once you get to Kal, view the super pit. Stay the night in Kal, visit the oldest brothel in Australia on the guided tour (it’s actually quite interesting). Next morning, go to the super pit observation point, with luck you can watch a blast.

Get prepped up for a long drive and head to Esperance via Norseman. Stop at Norseman for a photo op with the sign (Adelaide left, Perth right). Stay in Esperance for two nights and chill in one of the most remote cities in Australia.

Next drive is along the south coast to Albany, on the drive you can take in the only mountain in the south of WA. Stay in Albany for a night.

Next is a drive to the Margaret River for 2 nights, relax for the drive day and do a wine tour the next. You can’t really go wrong with this.

Your next choice is straight back to Perth or a night in Bunbury where you can try for swimming with Dolphins. Don’t take the freeway back to Perth, instead head back via Harvey and experience the English countryside from films that doesn’t exist in England.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

No job but in a high demand field so not too worried.

That's a really good idea actually, now just gotta convince the wife.

And yeah four weeks of vacation is heaven, I'm used to having two with nowhere nice to go nearby.

Random question, but is your field trades based? If so, you may want to look into how easily it transfers to Australia. Electricians for instance tend to find themselves completely unqualified when they move to Australia without a “gap” course being completed. These can be expensive and take a large amount of time. Most of the trades listed in the Australian in-demand roles will experience similar issues.

If however you are a white collar worker (excepting some engineering roles), ignore this post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010
Scenic World in the Blue Mountains is definitely a must-do. Catch a train from Central Station to Katoomba (Usually terminating at Lithgow, but there’s a track possession this week and next week). Getting into the site is $44 with a train ticket being another $10-15 return to the city. The site is about 3km from the station and served by a bus.

Be prepared for a day of walking, there’s an absolute ton of history involved with the area (mainly mining but there’s a castle and flora/fauna). Paying entry let’s you use the three forms of transport for free (steepest train in the world, cable car and skyway). It’s located in a world heritage site and gives incredible panoramas you can’t forget.