Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL LORD ZLATAN
Jan 2, 2011
So guys I'm a brazilian citizen who may be getting a great opportunity to set sail and live in another country. Australia is one of the countries I'm seriously looking into (alongside Canada and NZ). The basic idea is to go to Australia under a simple study (or work) visa and earn a certificate on a skilled trade, then use said certification to apply for permanent residence. However there are a few things I'd like to ask if possible:

1- Trade school or apprenticeship? Is it something you have to choose (either TS or Apprenticeship) or you have to do both of them together?

2- While searching for institutions near some affordable places to live (excellent thread btw), i quickly realized that there is no mention of a fee or any kind of recurring payment for said education, while the international websites have a pretty big fee on them (about $20k). Is this just a tourist trap of sorts or immigrants do have to pay for this? Is there any kind of scholarship or financial assistance i could possibly apply to?

3- If i understood everything right, i will need a student visa to be able to do this legally. The student visa only allows for part time work (20h/week). Is it possible to live on part time work only? What about paying a semester of tuition fees? The course is 2 years long, and costs about 20k.

Thanks and sorry for the long post and terrible english.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL LORD ZLATAN
Jan 2, 2011

2ndclasscitizen posted:

IIRC an apprenticeship includes some classes at a trade school (mostly called TAFE here). Some info here: https://www.tafensw.edu.au/courses/types/apptrain.htm

So I'd have to find an employer willing to give me an apprenticeship then enroll at a trade school? Sorry I'm just really confused.

HAIL LORD ZLATAN
Jan 2, 2011

imnotinsane posted:

Melbourne is basically the city for international students looking for a way to migrate here. It's pretty expensive in the short term, my room mate is from South Korea and is currently doing a Certificate 4 in Motor Mechanic, he spent about $15,000 a year with the course basically being 2 years part time - 2 days a week.

There is a whole bunch of courses you can do to get in, just look for things on the skilled shortage list and do courses in them. The most important thing is to find work in the relevant industry as soon as possible and make sure its a legit job, no cash under the table job because they just changed the laws and you need to show payslips.

http://www.deewr.gov.au/employment/lmi/skillshortages/pages/skillshortagelists.aspx

Doesn't need to be very technical things too, we seem to have a national shortage of hairdressers so you could probably do a course in that and aim for a graduate skill visa. I guess the biggest concern my room mate has is english levels, as long as you can get a score of 6 in IELTS you should be good.

Schools set up for this kinda thing are places like Cambridge International College, Menzies Institute, etc. Just make sure they are listed here: http://www.cricos.deewr.gov.au/

Yeah thats what I'm planning to do, get a cert for a position in the skill shortage list and go from there. However one thing bothers me, 2 days a week only? In the case of your roomate, how often does he work?

I'd like to be able to pay the tuition with the money I'd make working over there. Is that possible with (what i expect to be) minimum wage pay? Also what are some good and cheap places to live?

HAIL LORD ZLATAN
Jan 2, 2011
Im not Australia (nor live in australia) however, this is interesting

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

Its a guide for all ISPs based on region. Its pretty good me thinks