Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macintyre
May 6, 2006
Slow Rider
I plan to visit Australia for a month in April/early May. We will be starting in Sydney and working our way north to the Great Barrier Reef.

Couple questions: From what I have read the Easter holiday over there is a huge deal and most things shut down. Is this true? Should I just expect to be chilling out for that weekend?

Also looking for any advice on the best places (off beat?) to view the Great Barrier Reef.

Lastly, how good is the rail service from say Sydney to Brisbane? I enjoy a good train ride but the prices seem to be in line with flying, and flying is a heck of a lot faster.

I greatly appreciate any help fellow toursists/locals can offer, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macintyre
May 6, 2006
Slow Rider
I will be heading to Australia for a month here shortly. One thing I found out is that my cell phone will not work anywhere in the Country. So I was looking into getting an international phone and I found these guys:

http://www.telestial.com/

Has anyone had any experience with them? The prices look very good for what you're getting.

Happy to entertain other suggestions as well, just need basic cell service, thanks!

Macintyre
May 6, 2006
Slow Rider
Another question!

I will have 5 days to kill up in the Cairns area near the end of my stay. Having said that, I'd really like to get as many views of the Great Barrier Reef as possible.

I already found a small charter for snorkeling only, but I am having trouble doing the same for SCUBA.

Anyone know of or have any experience with small SCUBA charters in the Cairns/Port Douglas area? All of the ones I have found are like 200+ people, which isn't any fun.

Macintyre
May 6, 2006
Slow Rider

TheDude42 posted:

One note is I desperately want to dive the GBR. It seems like the Cairns / Port Douglas area is the place to be for that. Can anyone recommend a good site and/or dive shop? (I'm a PADI advanced diver btw).

Is the Skyrail worth it while we're up there? Any other hands-down must-sees between Sydney and Cairns? Is it worth it to take the time to drive up the coast? I'm sure it's gorgeous, but I just did the whole pacific coast highway thing, and while I'm sure it's different, if I'd be better off spending my time somewhere else, I'd be curious to know.

I just got back from a month long trip in Australia, and spent a little over a week in the Cairns area and did some SCUBA.

We went through SilverSwift: http://www.silverseries.com.au/swift.htm - They are combo snorkeling/SCUBA trips, (most companies do this), and definitely cater to the SCUBA divers. The boat was huge and had just shy of 100 people on board. But all preference was given to the divers. The equipment (BCs, Regs) was practically brand new. The guides knew their stuff and were very helpful.

We did buy Skyrail tickets as well, and this was also fantastic.

As others have said, there's no way you're going to enjoy yourself driving the distance between Sydney & Cairns. Large sections of the highway there are lower speed limits and under construction right now as well. We drove small sections but otherwise took cheap flights in between the major cities.