Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Pagan posted:

Cool.

Also, how do you monitor your credit? I've already pulled my free credit report from annualreport.com or whatever, but is there a good resource for keeping track of stuff on a more frequent basis? Is it worth paying the $15 a month to freecreditreport.com?

I get mine from Quizzle.com. It's free, and there aren't any predatory strings attached (as far as I can tell.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

quepasa18 posted:

I hope you live in a state where it's legal to record a phone call without the other party's consent...

I've heard as long as you notify the other party, you are in the clear (but IANAL). So some people will pass it off as if they were remarking on the automated notification, "So, this call may be recorded. Heh." Often on the other end they have a quick chuckle with you, then proceed to their spiel, not realizing you've just told them the call may be recorded.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

NancyPants posted:

what incentive does any other creditor really have to agree to it?

My understanding is the creditor probably bought that credit for pennies on the dollar, and thus will be making a profit off you even if you don't pay the full amount. Many people fight their debt, or blow it off, and that increases the cost of recouping it. If you offer to pay a significant portion of it, they don't have to hunt you down, and they make a quick buck. It's sort of a you scratch their back they scratch yours scenario.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Just got a bill from Puget Sound Energy with a small (<$40) amount from a previous residence in 2007. Apparently they never got my forwarding address or the bill got pitched by an old roommate. In any case, I'm fine paying it, but it's gone off to collections.

I've never heard from the collections agency, and as far as I know it's never shown up on my credit.(As of Nov 15th, 2010).

Is my best course of action to just pay the energy company? Should I bother calling the credit agency? (Ie, by calling them am I at risk of them damaging my credit?)