Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eater
Jul 4, 2004
Winner of the prestigious Good Eater award
Over a year ago I moved out of Maryland. I just received a notice from MD saying I owe about $2500 for "insurance lapse default". It's the first notice I've gotten about it, possibly because it was addressed to a non-existent address a block away.

There's no explanation other than "insurance lapse default" so I'm guessing they didn't get notified properly when I registered my car in the new state and switched insurance. But I don't know that for sure--it really just says I owe them money.

So does any of the stuff in this thread apply because it's a state going after me not a private creditor? The only instructions included with the notice say "If you have a valid dispute, notify the Central Collection Unit in writing as to its basis within 30 days of the first notification of the matter in dispute". Since I don't actually know for sure why they want $2500 from me, how do I do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eater
Jul 4, 2004
Winner of the prestigious Good Eater award

I posted:

Over a year ago I moved out of Maryland. I just received a notice from MD saying I owe about $2500 for "insurance lapse default". It's the first notice I've gotten about it, possibly because it was addressed to a non-existent address a block away.

There's no explanation other than "insurance lapse default" so I'm guessing they didn't get notified properly when I registered my car in the new state and switched insurance. But I don't know that for sure--it really just says I owe them money.

So does any of the stuff in this thread apply because it's a state going after me not a private creditor? The only instructions included with the notice say "If you have a valid dispute, notify the Central Collection Unit in writing as to its basis within 30 days of the first notification of the matter in dispute". Since I don't actually know for sure why they want $2500 from me, how do I do that?

CubsWoo posted:

Most of what's here should apply, so definitely dispute it. Find out why they want the money and see if it's valid.

Ok, well I just got a response from the state of MD. Here's what they said:

rear end in a top hat state government posted:

The state of Maryland Central Collection Unit (CCU) is in receipt of your letter dated March 11, 2010. In that letter you request certain relief under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

As a unit of state government, the CCU is not covered by the Act. Further information as to the origin of this debt may be available from the referring agency.

Therefore, this is the only reply you shall receive from the CCU regarding the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

WTF? So basically they can tell me I owe them whatever they want, don't have to tell me what it's for, and can pretty much harass me and gently caress up my credit at their whim? I never even mentioned the FDCPA in my letter to them. I basically just demanded that they validate and explain what the debt was.

I suppose I'll write the DMV to see what they have to say about it, but it seriously sounds like there are absolutely no legal protections for me. Any suggestions on motivating these assholes to leave me alone?