Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Noon
Nov 9, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Space Turtle posted:

MUME stuff

Man, I used to love this game. Aside from my normal characters, I had a troll that I would repeatedly level up to 6-8, and then run him all the way to Bree, hide out during the day and then whack lowbies. There's still an old log file up on Elvenrunes. Eventually this caught on and some of my friends started joining me. Once we brought a pack of ten lowbie trolls out in two groups, hid with the ruffians northwest of Bree, and then completely slaughtered a small group of legends who came in after us. Naturally, we left enough room in our stomachs to eat some of their equipment.

MUME was awesome. I might have to start playing again. Just logged on my Maia character for the first time in years and there are indeed some people still around. Not nearly as many as 2000-2003, but it's something.

I started on MUDs in 1997 or so. I've played dozens, but the ones that stick out in memory are Vampire Wars, Ivalice, and Assault: High Tech War. VW was a Godwars clone with a Vampire: The Masquerade influence. It was fun, and probably jumpstarted my obsession with PvP. I will never, ever play a game on a PvE server if PvP is an option.

Ivalice wasn't that great. I played it for a while, mostly because I had some friends who were also on it. The reason I remember it well and still log in once every year or so is what happened after I was banned. Apparently they had never heard of SOCKS before, so I just kept reconnecting and making new characters, which eventually ended with the Imms locking the MUD from accepting new characters. For a week. They also threatened to call the police, the FBI, etc. Afterward they simply gave up and I was free to log in, do whatever I wanted and then leave, which took most of the fun out of it.

Finally, Assault was bad loving rear end. PvP with the added benefit of being able to destroy hours and hours of other players' work if you had the strategic know-how. Basically, the world existed on a huge square grid, where you could build massive bases with complex security systems and defenses. You rose in the ranks by destroying other peoples' buildings, so everyone was constantly at each other's throats. Aircraft, gunships, even rockets to explore and mine resources in space were available. And the clan wars were loving vicious.

Eventually the playerbase began to shrink, largely due to people getting completely destroyed and rage quitting for good. As a result, we had to sort of police ourselves in order to keep newer players from getting demolished by the veterans. Which started even more clan wars.

I recently got the old dev to send me the source code for it. I've been toying with the idea of putting it up somewhere, but I don't know anyone who would be interested in playing anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^^^^^
Ivalice was a decent MUD but Raum(?) was as bad as/worse than UOSSMUD when it came to secrets.

"Hey guys we put mt ordeals back in after it was removed because people shared info ON THE INTERNET."
*day or 2 later*
"OK SINCE PEOPLE SHARED INFO ON THIS ZONE WE WORKED HARD ON WE ARE REMOVING IT FOREVER!!!"

:sigh:

MUME was fun though. I never got around to running the Balrog but raiding Bree or Fornost with a dozen trolls never got old.

Also finding the Blacksword outside of grey havens and immediately hitting a scout there, fleeing to the shire, hitting a bouncer at MD, and then hitting a hardened ranger on Greenway was a horrible fun experience. That sword was awesome for leveling.

Space Turtle
Mar 1, 2007

SPOOON!!!
Mappers are completely legal and don't provide any significant advantage other than leveling the playing field for new players who don't know Arda too well and old who know it like the back of their hand. MMAPPER is one of the most common and popular ones. They do show some hidden exits, but not all, that exist on Arda. There are ways to cheat using door aliases that some players do, allows you to open and close exits faster than others. Occasionally those players lose all of their characters on their account for doing so.

There's a Reddit thread up where some MUMErs have given their opinions as well, see here: http://www.reddit.com/r/MUD/comments/jzdcc/looking_for_a_great_tolkien_mud/

Other than that, I'm not sure I want to disclose who I play as in MUME... just yet! Maybe I will though. Deciding! I am a Darkie and you can probably figure it out pretty quick if you play for any length of time.

Mr. Noon
Nov 9, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^^^^^^
Ivalice was a decent MUD but Raum(?) was as bad as/worse than UOSSMUD when it came to secrets.

Ivalice was bleh. Small world, unoriginal gameplay, boring quests. And yes, Raum was a crap owner. Even worse were the other players he promoted to Imm, though. Were you around for Azrael? She was the one who banned me initially.

Space Turtle posted:

Occasionally those players lose all of their characters on their account for doing so.

Other than that, I'm not sure I want to disclose who I play as in MUME... just yet! Maybe I will though. Deciding! I am a Darkie and you can probably figure it out pretty quick if you play for any length of time.

Seen a few of the big names lose their accounts due to stuff like that. It was always hilarious.

Would you have been someone I knew (of) back in 2004'ish?

Edit: If anyone wants to roll a MUME character later with me, AIM is NWatchers. :v:

Mr. Noon fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 15, 2011

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Wow, I was always under the impression that the mappers were some kind of no-man's land, and explicitly against the rules for PK. Shows how much I know!

Anyways I'm on and running around, I'll try to contact Mr. Noon and see if we can't do some goon grouping (followed by goon dying I presume).

Ingwerstern
Jun 13, 2010

Space Turtle posted:

There are ways to cheat using door aliases that some players do, allows you to open and close exits faster than others. Occasionally those players lose all of their characters on their account for doing so.

Do door objects report it to the admin channel if they are immediately opened and closed? Because I find it hard to believe that there exists a consistent method of banning players that use a door alias or trigger. Considering that you can just queue up the commands too. But then again, admins can ban who they want without confirmation.

Ingwerstern fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 15, 2011

Mr. Noon
Nov 9, 2007

by Ozmaugh
I'm around on puke side as Korv. Just made him earlier today. Level 11 scout-type thing. If you see me on, send me a tell!

Might be in for a name change, though, since apparently "korv" is Swedish for "sausage." I had all these people sending me tells in Swedish and I had no idea what the hell was going on.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr. Noon posted:

Ivalice was bleh. Small world, unoriginal gameplay, boring quests. And yes, Raum was a crap owner. Even worse were the other players he promoted to Imm, though. Were you around for Azrael? She was the one who banned me initially.

Seen a few of the big names lose their accounts due to stuff like that. It was always hilarious.

Would you have been someone I knew (of) back in 2004'ish?

Edit: If anyone wants to roll a MUME character later with me, AIM is NWatchers. :v:

Azrael froze me for saying "bye" and dropping link instead of quitting because dropping link intentionally was against the rules and apparently lagged their server.

The game play was probably unoriginal as poo poo but it had its moments. IIRC he got the quest system directly from Vissago or some other imm on Materia Magica as well.

Ingwerstern posted:

Do door objects report it to the admin channel if they are immediately opened and closed? Because I find it hard to believe that there exists a consistent method of banning players that use a door alias or trigger. Considering that you can just queue up the commands too. But then again, admins can ban who they want without confirmation.

It's very obvious when people are doing it because a lot of them get lazy as hell about it. A lot did (still do?) use auto-set aliases for door variables as well. Enter room, east exit alias now uses "woodendoor" for commands and stuff like that.

Space Turtle
Mar 1, 2007

SPOOON!!!
If any goons are playing MUME and have PM send me a msg with your MSN id (mume's unofficial messenger) and I will add you and give you some hook ups in game.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Your PMs are off. Anyways Korv and I are playing pukes, and I have a ghetto Orc warrior as well I piddle about with at work. I also trashed my old scout and started a new Man warrior, Humi.

Space Turtle
Mar 1, 2007

SPOOON!!!
I don't play puke much but I geared up my warrior on that side and will send ya'll a tell when I see you on. Korv and Humi I am looking for?

Anyway I can xp you guys and show you the ropes as my warrior on puke side is legend. Hope to see ya on soon!

Space Turtle
Mar 1, 2007

SPOOON!!!
If you guys are gonna be on some night post in this thread and I'll log white instead of dark and help ya'll out with some xp / gear. Normally I play darkie so it's hard for me to switch just to see if you are on as the switching penalty is 30 mins to change sides.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I'm seriously on Mon-Fri 8am to 3pm JST, which should be like .. 9pm to 2am EST? Weekends are a bit more sporadic though. Haven't logged my orc in a week though I might play it a bit when I get home as player population seems to plummet around 4pm JST, making it actually semisafe to go outside and get travel points.

Also I got my dad playing, so now between us we have two warriors. If Mr. Noon rolls up a cleric we could put together a pretty pro goon group and go find new, exciting ways to die!

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Another swing by MUD connector.

quote:

In the futile era of japan, rumors of demons and demon
slayers can be heard through out the country. Though a
lot of demons are considered evil, there are many good
demons who fight off the evil invasion. One day a demon
who half human and half dog found a way to move back
and forth through time. This demon used the gate way
many many times until the time of his death agents on
of the most evil demon in the land. The gateway was
sealed, until... A brave human found his way into the
gate room and walked through the gate and found his
way into the futile era. From that day on people used
the gate to go back and forth, while demons used it to
enter the present time period. During this time the
demons who have crossed over to the present time have
been controlled by a society of guardians known as Soul
Reapers. These people have kept the demons from over
running the present day like they did in the past.
One day while Soul Society was battling a rather large
demon, the ground was blown open and another gate was
discovered. The scientist who spent there time learning
all they could about this gate.
Though it was believed
that this second gate lead into the past as well, but
a different location. This gate never accepted any
codes that they knew would lead to the past. Then a
soul reaper who has been around a long time remembered
that, there was a gate manual in a book in the library
of the Soul Society that listed all the gate codes. He
went and retrieved this book and it had a code for this
gate as well. The code was imputed into the gate and it
opened. A soul reaper walked through and saw that it
lead into some woods. This person walked to the edge of
the woods and found flying cars and air ships that these
ships lifted off into the atmosphere. Upon asking a few
people it was revealed that there are gates in space
big enough for ships to travel between planets.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.
Anyone else here ever played TFC (The Final Challenge)? It was the first MUD I played and I've played it off and on since '95. Playerbase is lower than it used to be (down from 50s to 10-20 these days) but it's a lot of fun with the same active coder/owner from the beginning. https://www.tfcmud.com

I like it because it's got random equipment, full PK/loot, a pretty cool god/follower system where players can start their own religion and become gods, etc. It's not as heavy-scripting-required as most of the bigger MUDs I've seen these days but I enjoy it.

I used to play Medievia a lot but it was a money sink for some of my friends and I wanted to avoid that.

DigitalAdhesive
May 6, 2011

"Hey kid, wanna make a dollar?"
Are there any active goon mud communities? I've been looking to get back into MUDs, but it's daunting alone.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

quote:

In the futile era of japan
I don't get it, it doesn't even sound the same.

Mume was good about ten years ago. The problem was that the management wanted a RP-heavy game full of lore and flowery descriptions, whereas the players were attracted mainly by the PK. So the management made decisions which alienated the players, who drifted away, and the management eventually gave up developing the game.

Atltais
May 21, 2004
And there was much rejoicing.

pisshead posted:

I don't get it, it doesn't even sound the same.

Blind people. No, seriously. Those sorts of glaring typos (as well as rather liberal use of phonics) are more or less an indication of a blind screenreader user.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
But why would 'feudal' be spoked as 'futile'? The second consonants are totally different.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

pisshead posted:

But why would 'feudal' be spoked as 'futile'? The second consonants are totally different.
You are, probably, pronouncing futile weird then.
feudal is [fyood-l]
futile is [fyoot-l]

EDIT: To avoid furthering the derail

Reicere fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 2, 2011

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
He probably says few tile.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

pisshead posted:

Not everyone says /fju:taIl/

Atltais
May 21, 2004
A lot of blind MUD players tend to have their screen readers jacked up to 200+ WPM as well.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Reicere posted:

You are, probably, pronouncing futile wierd then.
feudal is [fyood-l]
futile is [fyoot-l]

Um, no it isn't. Even then there's the t and d.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Atltais posted:

A lot of blind MUD players tend to have their screen readers jacked up to 200+ WPM as well.

Quite a few of them also use voice input.

Space Turtle
Mar 1, 2007

SPOOON!!!
For you guys playing MUME, just a word of advice:

Level 12-14 is kind of the bottleneck in the leveling process. I see a lot of new players reach these levels and quit there. Stick with it and post 15 characters begin to feel like their actual class, especially casters. Leveling becomes MUCH faster.

For you guys solo leveling a mage or cleric, practice blind spell around 12-13 and get a good bow + arrows. A blind mob can be shoot flee'ed REALLY easily, and you dont even need missile skill to do it. I level all my mages this way.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

pisshead posted:

Um, no it isn't. Even then there's the t and d.

Because t and d sound so different, right? Unless you're pronouncing futile "few tile" (which isn't wrong, but isn't the common pronunciation either), fuedal and futile sound very very similar. Couple that with the fact that not everyone's accent is the same, not everyone speaks at the same speed, and voice recognition software is still pretty lovely, and you get typos from blindies using screen readers and voice input.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Space Turtle posted:

For you guys playing MUME, just a word of advice:

Level 12-14 is kind of the bottleneck in the leveling process. I see a lot of new players reach these levels and quit there. Stick with it and post 15 characters begin to feel like their actual class, especially casters. Leveling becomes MUCH faster.

For you guys solo leveling a mage or cleric, practice blind spell around 12-13 and get a good bow + arrows. A blind mob can be shoot flee'ed REALLY easily, and you dont even need missile skill to do it. I level all my mages this way.

Pretty sure it's just me at this point. And I hero'd last week :v:

Really the key for me was to find other people to group with. Parrysplitting is literally the way to go.

Atltais
May 21, 2004

hailthefish posted:

Really? That seems very problematic in a MUD; I'm an admin on one with a fairly significant number of blind players.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

hailthefish posted:

My best friend is blind and he doesn't know a single blind user who uses voice input.

I don't know why you would. JAWS or whatever screen reader they are using tells them what they are typing as they type it. Conversely with voice input you'd have to say it, wait for it to get entered and then wait for your screen reader to read it back to you to tell you if it was right or not.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

So I threw up the AFKMud codebase up on one of my servers in the hopes to start building out a mud like I did many moons ago. I didn't get in too deep years ago but I had some knowledge of building, nothing of coding. However I've been learning some C++ and enjoy the more basic aspects of it.

Am I making a foolish step to even consider this attempt? Are there better code bases out there now for hack and slash over smaugfuss/AFKmud? I haven't decided on a theme yet but I keep wanting to come back to a Dark Tower theme.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I may have found a good MUD to create a GOON clan in. Excellent griefing potential. Legends of the Jedi. They take things very seriously there, but we could have a hell of a good time creating a clan of assholes there. Build some capital ships and bombard some planets.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Oh great, I was making fun of a blind guy that likes anime :(

/\/\/\
Edit: We'd probably all get banned in less than a day, and we'd have to spend a week in silent and secret grinding in order to get to the point to be annoying, unless we found some sort of retarded RP reason to exist.

piL fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 5, 2011

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

piL posted:

Oh great, I was making fun of a blind guy that likes anime :(

/\/\/\
Edit: We'd probably all get banned in less than a day, and we'd have to spend a week in silent and secret grinding in order to get to the point to be annoying, unless we found some sort of retarded RP reason to exist.

Its very stagnant there. They're looking for an RP reason to move to a new age. I propose that we colonize a planet that has no real player base. Yep, grind in secret until we've got some capacity, create a clan and start building some ships. We dont need much of an RP reason other than "Sick of the republic and want to rule things"

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
As one of the forcers on LOTJ right now, there's a lot of behind the scenes stuff right now. They did call out for applications for engineering clans for era 2, though.

There's a lot of planets that don't see much player love though and engineering clans usually bring activity with them.

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't say the era change is because of stagnation. A lot has gone on, it's just a logical progression.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 5, 2011

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, if your goal is to overthrow the Republic and found an Empire, too late I already did! :jeb:

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Phummus posted:

Its very stagnant there. They're looking for an RP reason to move to a new age. I propose that we colonize a planet that has no real player base. Yep, grind in secret until we've got some capacity, create a clan and start building some ships. We dont need much of an RP reason other than "Sick of the republic and want to rule things"

You might as well try and do it if you're a real man. You can try and come off as goony by saying it is griefing or trolling but the mud is sort of built around conflict so the more the merrier. If you need any help, let me know.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Oh hey Walldo! I just always assumed since it was an RP MUD you'd all be jerks about outside players meeting up or whatever ( ie Armageddon ), so sweet glad to see it! Players who want to goon might want to jump in now to get an idea on how to play (which btw, I don't really know how to play), but I don't think we could get much done before the era change.

Edit: And I'm definitely in for allying with some goons then :)

piL fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 9, 2011

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.
The thing about LOTJ is it just isn't fun if all the goons are on the same team. It's one side or the other being stacked which leads to the stagnation, so something like that doesn't really tend to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
The reason I doubt that is because I'd expect only four or five goons to go through with it, at most.

• Locked thread