Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Noon
Nov 9, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Space Turtle posted:

MUME stuff

Man, I used to love this game. Aside from my normal characters, I had a troll that I would repeatedly level up to 6-8, and then run him all the way to Bree, hide out during the day and then whack lowbies. There's still an old log file up on Elvenrunes. Eventually this caught on and some of my friends started joining me. Once we brought a pack of ten lowbie trolls out in two groups, hid with the ruffians northwest of Bree, and then completely slaughtered a small group of legends who came in after us. Naturally, we left enough room in our stomachs to eat some of their equipment.

MUME was awesome. I might have to start playing again. Just logged on my Maia character for the first time in years and there are indeed some people still around. Not nearly as many as 2000-2003, but it's something.

I started on MUDs in 1997 or so. I've played dozens, but the ones that stick out in memory are Vampire Wars, Ivalice, and Assault: High Tech War. VW was a Godwars clone with a Vampire: The Masquerade influence. It was fun, and probably jumpstarted my obsession with PvP. I will never, ever play a game on a PvE server if PvP is an option.

Ivalice wasn't that great. I played it for a while, mostly because I had some friends who were also on it. The reason I remember it well and still log in once every year or so is what happened after I was banned. Apparently they had never heard of SOCKS before, so I just kept reconnecting and making new characters, which eventually ended with the Imms locking the MUD from accepting new characters. For a week. They also threatened to call the police, the FBI, etc. Afterward they simply gave up and I was free to log in, do whatever I wanted and then leave, which took most of the fun out of it.

Finally, Assault was bad loving rear end. PvP with the added benefit of being able to destroy hours and hours of other players' work if you had the strategic know-how. Basically, the world existed on a huge square grid, where you could build massive bases with complex security systems and defenses. You rose in the ranks by destroying other peoples' buildings, so everyone was constantly at each other's throats. Aircraft, gunships, even rockets to explore and mine resources in space were available. And the clan wars were loving vicious.

Eventually the playerbase began to shrink, largely due to people getting completely destroyed and rage quitting for good. As a result, we had to sort of police ourselves in order to keep newer players from getting demolished by the veterans. Which started even more clan wars.

I recently got the old dev to send me the source code for it. I've been toying with the idea of putting it up somewhere, but I don't know anyone who would be interested in playing anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Noon
Nov 9, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^^^^^^
Ivalice was a decent MUD but Raum(?) was as bad as/worse than UOSSMUD when it came to secrets.

Ivalice was bleh. Small world, unoriginal gameplay, boring quests. And yes, Raum was a crap owner. Even worse were the other players he promoted to Imm, though. Were you around for Azrael? She was the one who banned me initially.

Space Turtle posted:

Occasionally those players lose all of their characters on their account for doing so.

Other than that, I'm not sure I want to disclose who I play as in MUME... just yet! Maybe I will though. Deciding! I am a Darkie and you can probably figure it out pretty quick if you play for any length of time.

Seen a few of the big names lose their accounts due to stuff like that. It was always hilarious.

Would you have been someone I knew (of) back in 2004'ish?

Edit: If anyone wants to roll a MUME character later with me, AIM is NWatchers. :v:

Mr. Noon fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 15, 2011

Mr. Noon
Nov 9, 2007

by Ozmaugh
I'm around on puke side as Korv. Just made him earlier today. Level 11 scout-type thing. If you see me on, send me a tell!

Might be in for a name change, though, since apparently "korv" is Swedish for "sausage." I had all these people sending me tells in Swedish and I had no idea what the hell was going on.

• Locked thread