Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ambushsabre posted:

I really wish there were some popular ones still out there. The only one that has a pretty large player base is Aardwolf, and I really dislike it for a lot of reasons (the way they mix fantasy with sci-fi and the modern era sickens and confuses me).

Oh god, I used to play Aardwolf.

The three main MUDs I ever played though were CoreMUD, Realms of the Dragon, and Achaea: Dreams of Divine Lands.

CoreMUD is set on a mining colony 650 years in the future. Fully player run economy. Players can mine ore for money and then work at shops where they could refine ore, make weapons and armor, or sell drinks. There were some great handcrafted quests lines that went into the game's story. There were also GM run events like laser tag or alien attacks. When I played it around 1999, there were about 30 or so players on peak times. Nowadays, the place is a ghost town with maybe 1-2 players on at any given time. Makes me sad.

Realms of the Dragon was quite fun. They had a 7 death system. 7 deaths and your character was permadead. You could buy death allowance from the priest class, but only up to a maximum of 21 deaths. The game had so many classes but they all felt really unique. Three classes could steal from other players: pirates, privateers, and shadowthieves. Really fun game. At it's peak it used to have 100-200 players on at any given time. Last time I check about a year ago, they had about 40-50 players on.

Achaea was awesome for the combat system, the classes, and the city governments. There were multiple major cities that all had player run governments and would often be attacked by other player cities. The world events were pretty neat too. All the IMMs played as the gods of the world. When Gaea quit the game, they played out that her god died and the forests all went into mourning and would lash out at anyone who entered until a new Gaea was found. The only thing I didn't like at the time was that you could spend cash on their website for these skill tokens in game that helped you powerup your character real fast. I didn't like the idea of having to compete against people with infinite incomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cy posted:

Achaea's really gone downhill, though. There was a period where poo poo was getting WAY better, but then the administration proved, time and time again, they're completely incompetent and disconnected from the game. Combat's gotten dumbed down, world politics suck because all the good politicians got tired of the retarded admins and the current politicians are some of the dumbest people I've ever met, population is way down, etc.

It's a shame, cause the game has so much potential!

That is a shame. :-(

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Konstantin posted:

Back in the day I played on an old MUD called PKMud. It wasn't the most original name, but it delivered what it promised. Every 15 minutes a session started, you and everyone else were dropped into a world with a small number of stock Deku zones as a high level PC and with nerfed monsters. You had 5 minutes to run your rear end off and kill monsters for high level gear, after that everybody was automatically flagged for PK. Everyone goes after each other, last one standing wins, if you die you're a ghost and can wander around and watch other people fight. If two or more people are alive when the timer is up, they are teleported to a one room 'arena' to fight to the death. There was a rating system, and I have to say it was the most fun PvP system I've ever played.

That sounds retardedly fun.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ambushsabre posted:

Honestly I think that everyone in this thread should agree on a mud and then we go in and do what goons do, that is become way over-powered and sometime break the game. Anyone know of any muds that work really well with a group of people that want to work together?

Edit: Maybe batmud due to its shiny client, so that goons who normally wouldn't like muds get distracted by the anti-aliasing?

On of my favorite MUDs was "Realms of the Dragon" because you could actually steal from other players. They have like 30 different classes that each rely on each other in neat ways. Plus, you only have so many deaths in that game before your character is gone for good. Initially, if you die 7 times your character is gone but that can be extended to 21 by buying lives from a priest. So at most, someone's character is gone for good after 21 deaths.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

UOSSMUD sounds interesting. Might have to give it a spin tonight.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

John Dyne posted:

I'm on it as Folkar and Kalavankar, wizard and monk respectively. I don't know the level limits but I can put fist sized holes in stuff pretty well now that I've gotten Protect, Chakra, and Repeating Fist.

Cool cool. I'll look you up. Anyone else interested in trying (or going back to) UOSSMUD with me tonight?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Speaking of Final Fantasy, anyone ever play the MUD Ivalice? I remember it back in the day but I don't remember much about it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Hello Sailor posted:

That beast class that uses gold to power its abilities seems like it has griefing potential.

"That guy just killed me and took my gold."
"Let's kill him and take it back."
"We can't... he ate it."

Would a small group of them destroy the economy?

Oh poo poo. I'd be all over that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

UOSSM seems pretty douchebaggy about the quests and stuff.

What is stopping someone from creating a website or wiki and just spoiling everything?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Holy poo poo. I just started playing Aardwolf again. I haven't played it in almost a decade and holy poo poo is this game completely different now. This game while still a generic diku at heart seems to have changed quite a few things now. Their whole goal (quest) system is new as well as minimaps. O.o

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Goddamn Aardwolf is hitting the right spot for me.

I've been playing this game all goddamn day (except for a break to run a raid in WoW).

It has been about 10 years since I played (even though the emote I created for the game is still there) and holy poo poo it is updated as gently caress. I mean, in the end it is still a diku but the changes they have made have all been awesome. The game map and the introduction are great and it seems all areas are custom instead of stock now.

This game is perfectly shallow for me. I want a MUD that I don't have to worry about roleplaying and I can just dip in to get that MUD feel and this is scratching that itch. Plus, at 300+ players it always is busy enough. :)

If anyone hops in, look for Mordiceius. I am playing a dark elf psi mindflayer.

EDIT: One of my favorite parts about it is that they have an in game command to display all the zones in the game and their level range as well as an in game command to give directions to each zone. I don't have to stumble through or constantly ask people where I should be going.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 4, 2010

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Brimruk posted:

Also, what level are you? Running around and doing campaigns/random goals and tasks is getting a little boring solo, and I'm sure your frail elf needs a giant bodyguard. :black101:

I am only level 13 or so right now. I spent a good deal of time this morning just going through the tutorial to be brought up to speed on what is new in the game.

I'm a completionist human being so this first time through I am completing every goal in order.

I considered going supernewbie and then realized I'm not that pathetic.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Brimruk posted:

Are there any help sites for the goals? It's getting loving frustrating not being able to finish something because I don't know which of the 21347983142 emotes to use. I'm still loving stuck in level 10 and 15 zones as a level 29. :argh:

I haven't seen any. Right now I'm just working on the level 5 lost vale one. Slowly making my way through them.

Also, this game would suck without my trusty garbage can.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Brimruk:

quote:

A Trustworthy Trustee exclaims, "So you want to know some history and
survive eh .. why would anyone want to live long here in this hole has me
beat!"
A Trustworthy Trustee says, "Let me get my pipe out since this is going to
take a while to explain properly."

You see him load his pipe and take a few puffs forming little rings and amusing himself.

A Trustworthy Trustee says, "Oh that's right I was going to speak to you
about this joint."

A Trustworthy Trustee says, "In shrouded history so distant that it may be
expressed as Eternity Past, mankind has feared (and therefore hated)
dragonkind. For their part, the dragons have been remarkably patient with
man's misconceptions."

A Trustworthy Trustee says, "They even endured periodic purges and
outright wars directed at them. The First Ascent is a 'detention
facility', a prison if you will, where men have detained both dragons and
creatures of every other description that have been accused of
collaborating with dragonkind."

The trustee again puffs on his pipe but this time furrows outline his heavy brow.

A Trustworthy Trustee asks, "I guess I could tell you some of the rumours
doing the rounds. You will hear them sooner or later. You seem to be
hanging on my every word so I can't go and disappoint you now, can I?"

A Trustworthy Trustee says, "Perception and reality frequently do not
agree. Many believe that both dragons and those friendly to them are
unjustly imprisoned here."

A Trustworthy Trustee says, "There are several stories of other prisons,
less accessible than The First Ascent, but only reachable by obtaining an
elusive Dragon Bridle."

A Trustworthy Trustee says, "You shouldn't place absolute faith in
everything you hear while touring the facility, but it's probably wise to
pay close attention, to everything."

[690/690hp 567/569mn 792/862mv 12qt 857tnl] >
A Trustworthy Trustee says, "Before being tragically killed in a freakish
juggling accident, one escapee used to broadcast a notion that a specific
sequence of 'dragon emblems' would unlock the way from 'The First Ascent'
to the next prison."

A Trustworthy Trustee chuckles politely.
A Trustworthy Trustee says, "Ok, my humour isn't as good as it used to
be."
The trustee tries to hide another chuckle at his own joke.

A Trustworthy Trustee says, "Oh very important...."

A Trustworthy Trustee says, "Sprites have every reason to fear dragons.
They find sprites particularly delicious when stewed, and delight in
pulling their wings off for sport. Sprites are frequently employed by the
prison to exact cruel revenge on dragon kind at every opportunity."

** Task Done : Ask a prison trustee about staying alive in prison.
** Task Added : Punish the dragon collaborators.

A Trustworthy Trustee exclaims, "You might want to speak to Bagger again
since it must have been him that sent you to me to find out about this
place!"
** Task Added : Visit Bagger for more information.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

cmurphy50 posted:

Don't be fooled by my character creation date, it was last year, but I've only played like 2 solid weeks of the game. I'm no noob to MUDding but I am a semi-Aardwolf-noob. I'll be on later tonight!

Don't know if I'll be on tonight but I have been enjoying the heck out of the game. I even blogged about it: http://mordiceius.com/2010/04/05/full-circle

But yeah, it would be nice to get more Goons in there. It is working great as a casual game for me.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ambushsabre posted:

When will you be on? I'm only level 10, and in as ambushsabre, but right now it says you're not playing. Eta on that?

I just logged in (late night of class and Chuck). It says your name doesn't exist.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So wait, what game is everyone playing?

I know there are a couple of us in Aardwolf but what is this game where people were talking about Juggernauts or some jazz? How many goons we got there?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

:words:

Okay. I'm a nethack player aka I love shoving my dick in a door jam and slamming the door. I don't like making multiple characters and will only make one. What class should I make?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

How does stealing work in the game? Is there full on invis-like stealth?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Digital Scumbag posted:

:words:

Oh poo poo! I just remember a Dragonball MUD I used to play. There were a ton of different races and if you picked stuff like saiyan, you would go oozaru every so often based off the moon cycles. I picked an android like Cell because when you killed people you had a chance of learning their powers and you could eventually be the best at everything, even thought the beginning of being that class sucked.

Holy poo poo that game was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dragonball Saga

THAT WAS IT!

Holy poo poo did I love that game!

• Locked thread