Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Autarch Kade posted:

I played one called GalaxyWeb: Stellar Epoch. It was a space themed one with ships that were modular, similar to EVE's tech 3 cruisers. It was a very advanced MUD, or MOO I guess. However it was also very corrupt, the most powerful player character was also a dev, and it was he that caused the server to eventually shut down.

I only got to play this game for about a week, then had RL take me away from it. I loved the system and one of the devs is a goon. Space Conquest has gone back up, but I don't like SC. Still pining for GalaxyWeb, myself.

Space Conquest thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3094724

As far as what I'm actually playing right now, a fantasy roleplay MUD that I played for years went down a couple years ago. The owners put it up for Christmas this year due to popular demand, and there's plans of keeping it around. It's called Cities of M'dhoria, and it doesn't have a website right now because of its (possibly) limited status. It's at mdhoria.net port 6996 if anyone wants to take a look though, gets around 20-25 people at peak times.

I also used to play Legend of the Jedi quite a bit, but when it was handed over to the new owners (Orion and Anna) I didn't think I could stick around. An ex-girlfriend of mine still plays there and she's constantly being given handouts so I'm pretty sure it's still not worth hanging out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I saw this advertisement for hiring MUD builders on TMC a few minutes ago, and I guess it's supposed to be a theme overview.

quote:

Overview
!-------------------------->
A GLIMPSE OF THE FUTURE

Envision a universe of enchantment; where people can drown themselves in the rich atmosphere of the imagination and breathtaking stories, becoming intoxicated by every spectrum of emotion, as they breath life into their character.

Eternal Escape is a dream scape of endless possibilities. A place where people can escape into fantastical worlds full of imagination. Our stories are given life by our players and their ability to dream. They can experience adventure, romance, intrigue, and so much more.

Without actually logging into their game, can someone explain to me how this doesn't come off as someone trying to get someone build for their furry MUD without outright saying it's a furry MUD? Bonus points if you can tell me what genre it actually is.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

cmurphy50 posted:

There are far too few MUD players left for us to be pushing away any new players..

I really wish this attitude was more prevalent throughout the communities, but it really isn't.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

Even if it isn't furry, it's grandiose and vague enough to indicate that the coders (or more likely, a single would-be head admin) have no idea what they're doing.

MUDs like that one are how MUD server providers stay afloat. They have all these forgotten dead MUDs with 3 players on them that stay up for decades, it's like how gyms make all their money from people not going.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

cmurphy50 posted:

Now what would be awesome is if you smart coder goons bound together to craft our own MUD!

The owners of Space Conquest are goons. However, after leading a goon guild in an MMO, the idea of working with and actually relying on other goons makes me uneasy.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

On a whim, I made a character on this pay for perks "Dark fantasy" MUD called Maiden Desmodus, just to see how their creation goes. I found out they have an automatic description generator, you don't even have to pick the traits, it just kind of selects them for you. I got a good laugh out of this:

quote:

Sharp-nosed and dangerous, this Thirian male is towering and immense. His complexion is ebony-skinned. He has dry muddy brown eyes, and onyx hair that is worn afro-styled. This individual is notable as being both secretive and sharp.

I am a randomly generated big scary black man.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

As someone who also plays Legends of the Jedi, and mostly plays combatants, I think that the idea that the "secrets" of combatants and bounty hunters being guarded by players who want to control some kind of flow is a little incorrect, and that's an understatement. Combat is really easy to get into, but expect to lose a character or two before you really get it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I haven't had a lot of experience with the BHers beyond PKing them in droves when they clique up and become mercenaries for whatever clan their friends are in, so I think you have a point there.

As for finding the skills for the shady classes, I won't give too much away but there's only so many "shady planets" for you to go to so I'd recommend checking there. When it comes to engineering components I'm pretty dumb, but I think that's part of the fun of playing an engineer considering the rest of it is just botting all day.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Pieuvre posted:

I think it was Rafermand, it definitely rings a bell. Unfortunately, I've done some looking around and can't find it or any muds running that codebase anymore :( Alas... I definitely remember oWoD stuff in there (I have a distinct memory of messing around with a Gangrel and using Earth Meld to hide during attacks on my lone outpost), too. Man, I wish I could remember more about that.

You're talking about EmpireMUD, right? Where it was a big ASCII map and you could build your own city/town whatever?

Those MUDs are awesome, but alas they have a progression system that relies entirely on IMM rewards, which is an incredibly flawed system especially when such MUDs are prone to major inactivity.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

neongrey posted:

Man, it's weird how attached you get to the things you get used to. Single-permadeath just seems horrifyingly wrong to me (I know it works usually where it's used) but I have had a few people say how put-off they are by the fact that characters in my mud have a shelf life of about a year before they die of old age, which seems perfectly natural to me.

Just funny how these things are.

I like all of the options based on the MUD. LOTJ is really easy to level up on, so single permdeath doesn't really bother me. Having played Avendar (I am Isenrode), the death system you guys have there is decent too, mostly because if you die and get full looted it doesn't ruin your character and you can recover relatively quickly if you have friends.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Learn how to make jewelry and find a good source of materials and all your dreams will come true.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

piL posted:

I have some anti-grind character points on LotJ from making characters, playing for a while, and then quitting. Maybe I should come back. How anal are the admins? Are people allowed to talk to each other and assume we've met in the past, or do they want us to make all of our contacts via gameplay?

Right now I'm playing one of a pair of brothers. You can set stuff up like that, if you want.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I really wish GalaxyWeb would come back. I loved the concept for it, and I love playing space dolphins.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Please don't fire the imps!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

New Worlds Ateraan? I played that game for a year. It is one of the most frustating MUDs that I've played, especially now that it's pay for perks. The roleplay is pretty good at times, and there's some fantastic players, but I have some huge, huge gripes about the game itself.

It allows multiplaying (they 'allow' 2 characters on at a time, but I know a guy that multiplays up to 5) and staying logged in idling, so that "constant population" is actually about 15-20 people even if the player count says 120 or whatever it usually is. You're actually rewarded for staying in and idling, you get a reward every 36 hours (I think) of playtime/idletime. The progression is horribly slow, they have a meter called the "borg meter" that punishes you if you kill too many mobs in a day. They say that it goes down if you roleplay, but it's actually completely time based.

I was Guildmaster of the Mages on there for a very short time, the staff micromanages the RP of the city "leaders" so much that you don't actually do any leading at all. God forbid you run afoul of any of the staff morts, either. Andrew's brilliant idea for cool events usually involves just killing off the entire pbase so they all lose levels in their skills.

Another great thing about death on there is that every time you die, half of your gear disappears, then the mob that kills you picks your gear up. When you kill that mob to get your gear back, half of the gear IT drops disappears. It's an exercise in futility to try to get your things back.

Basically, New Worlds is fine if you're a roleplayer. If you're going to try and actually play the game, you better hope you're unemployed or have a lot of free time, because to actually progress on there you need to treat the game like a full time job.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I'm down for it. We're talking right now!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

GalaxyWeb was so cool. Bad admins ruin cool things.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I liked the concept of Project Bob, but is there anything similar to it that eases you into the game instead of like on there when it just BLASTS you with super complicated stats and terminology the second you log in?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Diplomaticus, you should roll a zabrak combatant named Combaticus. Probably a little easier to learn the game on.

Ammunition is all over the place, but one place it is not in abundance without killing ghouls is Coruscant. Lorrd is nearby, if you look around there you should find some stuff.

EDIT: also wtf did someone really PK you?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

There's three different ammo types.

Ammunition:
Repeaters, Pistols, and Rifles

Batteries(Powercells are batteries):
Forcepikes, Vibroblades and Lightsabers

Quarrels:
Bowcasters

A lot of the equipment you will get won't really be comparable to stuff in shops. The best armor is made by engineers, and there's a generally agreed upon best set of other equipment.

I would recommend joining a clan like the Republic if you're new to the game, it's the easiest way to get IC help on LOTJ. You'll probably get combat training and a free set of equipment if you do.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

LOTJ doesn't really have a grind mobs type area, that gameplay is sadly somewhat missing. It's a little difficult for brand new players if you're expecting that kind of gameplay, which is unfortunate because that's a huge step in the wrong direction as far as newbie friendliness goes. LOTJ has some nasty code that essentially saps all of the experience if you spend too much leveling on one mob, and it's really difficult to level to 150 that way. The game is less about the leveling process and more what you do once you're leveled, which is a little confusing.

Tell you what, hang out on Corellia for a little bit, preferably near the landing pads. I'll be right there.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yeah, but you can't reasonably level combat in the traditional MUD sense without being powerleveled, which I think is a flaw in the design, personally.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I was posting about a MUD I used to play in a PYF thread on MMO addiction. I found the MUD was still going, and logged in to see how many hours I'd put into my old character, and was surprised to see two other people still in this MUD. The thing is, I recognised both of them, and they were both already long-time veterans of the MUD in 1997 when I started playing it. I gave up in 2001, but they've been on the same drat MUD for around 15 years!

Which MUD is that?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Anomalous Blowout posted:

Yeeeeep, that was LOTJ.

A few of us old Arm players played LOTJ for about two weeks when Arm's servers were down. We all got banned for PKing someone even though PK wasn't against the rules, 'cause it was an admin's little brother's PC and he apparently threw a shitfit and broke furniture in real life. :wtc:

When was this? Sounds like something that would happen on a SWR splinter or LOTJ circa 2002, not anything recently. LOTJ's newbie school is pretty easy to get out of, too.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

As one of the forcers on LOTJ right now, there's a lot of behind the scenes stuff right now. They did call out for applications for engineering clans for era 2, though.

There's a lot of planets that don't see much player love though and engineering clans usually bring activity with them.

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't say the era change is because of stagnation. A lot has gone on, it's just a logical progression.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 5, 2011

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

You only need 4-5 people to have a successful clan anyhow, the rest are newbies and C-team players you get to do busy work for you.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yep, GR-75s are in on LotJ right now. 13,000 cargo space, you can make a few million a day with it.

That's if you want to be a stupid engineer or some kind of money having guy, though.

If you want to be cool like me, just make a billion free race combatants and fight people. That's the best way to play the game.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

There's a lot of people that would love to see GWSE come back, myself included. We'll be waiting forever, it seems.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I only got to play for a short while before it was shut down. I was playing a dolphin hacker type character. Crawling around on my weird spider harness thing, then I had a bunch of aliens trying to get me to join their clans because I guess they would get a certain type of ship or something?

My main draw was the whole VR system thing. I absolutely loved it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Sudoku posted:

Even when we KNEW the approximate syntax to work with, it still took five people ages to get it right. Nobody could reasonably figure that out by themselves when the best clue is "maybe it's reverse psychology".

So many zones are lovely and poorly built it's a wonder anyone can find any secrets.

~LP MUDS~

I've never played a good one and this is a huge gripe with every one I've tried.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I made a character on BatMUD to try it out. I'm Brasky. I don't really like LP MUDs though so I probably won't stick around.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

New Worlds Ateraan is great if you're A. a married dude in your 40s or 50s that needs a place to troll for younger women to mudsex or B. someone with a lovely marriage that desperately needs to text gently caress blind people. I was a guildmaster on there and it was definitely the low point of my mudding career. Also, it's not an RPI, the admin has spent the last 4 years on TMS trying to redefine the term so it encompasses his horrible game.

This was one of my favorite points when I had a character in the southern militia on an alt:

quote:

Adinas <Militia> pmote cock begins twitching inside your mouth, his breathing
now coming in short gasps as he presses his hand harder
against the back of your head, a few several small droplets
leaving his cock to fall into your mouth. He murmurs quietly
under his breath, "caoimhe...oh Caoimhe, I love you...",

It has a great ratio though if you're looking for MUD love. A guy I have played MUDs with for like 8 years has hooked up with 4 different chicks from there IRL. Great game.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 13, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Good luck with that. A lot of the players in the south are years ahead of you progression wise. If you didn't start 3-4 years ago you won't ever catch up to some of the more dedicated players on any meaningful level. Another major problem with the game is that if you try and conspire against another player, chances are it's their alt. The game allows multiplaying of two characters at a time but I personally know of people that have at least five characters logged in at any one time and the rule doesn't get enforced for them because they've donated. The game's who list count is super, super deceptive.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Hello Sailor posted:

Oh my. Is there permadeath? How many new characters would it take to slaughter an old one? This sounds like wonderful griefing potential; deliver a PC the head of their alt and frame the alt as the ringleader of a conspiracy against them. Log the whole thing and bust the PC for bad roleplay when they snap.

There's only permdeath for a small subset of players in the southern kingdom. Conscripts, servants and slaves are all able to be permanently killed. Any guilded (character with a class) character is unable to be killed permanently unless by staff decision. The only things you lose at that point are some items and a level from your skills.

The skill system there is set up in such a way that a level 20 character would steamroll any amount of low level characters. At around level 13 most classes get a flat damage reduction skill that makes them nigh invincible to lowbies.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I can't connect to Wayfar either.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

One of the owners of Legends of the Jedi is a goon and there's 3 or 4 goons that play but none of us hang out with eachother.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Nah, the MUD's been having some stability problems in that last week and we've had to rollback a couple times. It's just been crashing a lot. It should be stable for today.

EDIT: Just kidding, no it isn't.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 24, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Having helped terra as a newbie on Legends of the Jedi, I think it's kind of lame to gently caress with a blind player like that but maybe I just don't know the whole MOO history with him. Blind players can be dicks.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Not a whole lot, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

I once created a character. Some Sith Lord paged me asking if I wanted to be his sex slave in the first few minutes.

You might be thinking of a different game. Sex slavery is illegal on LOTJ and mudsex is mostly frowned upon.

A few of us here play Legends of the Jedi. I'm currently playing, hailthefish is taking a break at the moment, and one of the owners of the game, Walldo, posts occasionally in this thread. I'd be happy to answer any questions for anyone who is thinking about playing there. It's got a really unique roleplay situation that's a lot of fun.

EDIT: Just looked at your post history and I think we might've talked about this once!

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 6, 2012

• Locked thread