Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

pisshead posted:

But why would 'feudal' be spoked as 'futile'? The second consonants are totally different.
You are, probably, pronouncing futile weird then.
feudal is [fyood-l]
futile is [fyoot-l]

EDIT: To avoid furthering the derail

Reicere fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

pisshead posted:

How else would it be pronounced?
Dear god... You're really bringing this back up almost 2 month later, even after the appropriate pronunciation guides were posted?

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!
In, Batmud, as Reicere. So far I've enjoyed recreating Rubber as a psychic leech.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!
A sort of area guide for bat : http://www.maroon.com/bat/

Contains useful things like enemy XP values, maps, and secret rooms.

Reicere fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 13, 2012

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!
I made a trigger that turned the room description bright pink if it contained the words cat kitten or kitty.... worked like a charm

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!
Been giving Tsunami a try, Uhhg

Just spent 3 hours banging my head against the native class quest(as a sweet-rear end fungus vampire) only to be cock-blocked by a war.

Getting bounced by a fat stack of blocking illusionists into the previous room(that has since refilled with more blocking illusionists) while my npc partymate fucks off to who knows where. But hey... this whole thing has only happened twice, and each time I try I get a sweet new backpack that can hold 40 more daggers.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Funkmaster General posted:

Interest check for Pressure?
My terminal is at the ready.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

piL posted:

The Mouse Guard RPG has a conflict resolution system where the battle itself determines where along a path of possible outcomes. If a group of seasoned vets go up against a group of untrained whelps, it's not a contest to see whether (very likely) the vets win and kill all the whelps or (very rare) the whelps win and kill all of the vets. Rather, the gameplay determines whether when the vets win did some of the whelps get away? Did one of the vets get injured in the process? Etc. It's a very different way of thinking about conflict than I've ever seen a MUD use, but I think could be well suited to the MUD experience. Instead, the rules were basically set up in 1980 and the core hasn't changed much since.

The think about Mouse Guard and a lot of TG's favorites are that they don't mesh well with the pseudo-real-time nature of muds. Either you have turnless systems that treat every conflict as a single indivisible event or they have you answering 20 questions every round.

Once you cull those out you end up with a whole lot of HP and HP analogues ... I mean is using attack power as a bonus to hit and punishing people based on their degree of failure really any different.

Thats not to say there isn't room for change, but pen and paper games aren't the place to look for it.. and given that muds are already more creative(for the most part) than other videogames you really need to come up with your own ideas.

As for working on a mud, the lack of a proper development environment is what kills it for me.. just a spoiled youngin who wants to checkout the codebase and work with multiple things at a time.

EDIT: quick, someone code up the dwarf fortress method of conflict resolution... I wanna see those layers of skin an fat flayed.

Reicere fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 3, 2012

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

piL posted:

Almost all MUDs break down combat as either "you kill the mobile", "you escape from the mobile" or "the mobile kills you". "You succeed at the task" or "you fail at the task and hurt yourself". There really are other options.
Don't forget "The mobile wimpys and paths through a room containing a blocking guard."

To build off of Otsp's comments, I think the way foward is to play to the systems strenghts. Abstraction is for people, a computer can do so much more with unmanageable complexity and a tiny bit of randomness.Hence why I mentioned DF... Its conflict resolution is extremely straight foward. Thing A does X, thing B cant stop X, X happens... but the the action X is unbelievably complicated and the controller of thing A cant be sure what will happen.

EDIT: and to be clear, I also dislike HP... its just most pnp systems aren't much better.

Reicere fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 4, 2012

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!
Why is it that all star wars muds are ran nonsensically bad? Last time I tried one I didn't even make it through chargen.. and LOTJ doesn't even seem to want people to play it.

Last time, I had done my reading, picked out a race and all that jazz using the official(and frequently contradictory) on-site information. So I connect and start working through the questions, get to race, and what happens. The nice scientific race I chose had somehow became an alias for one of the app only warrior races... completely unreferenceable from any commands, even the help files

So today I try and give lotj a try, head to the site and am greeted with the least informative, most broken piece of poo poo... cant even be bothered to include a beginners guide, the connection guide is a dead link, the wiki link takes you to a login-walled "bug tracker" and there is no way to register on-site in order to see it. Literally the only thing you can learn about it is a short blurb and that they expect to get $950 a month in donations.

So, what I'm actually looking for is some excuse to "give it a chance" other than star wars!

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Freakus posted:

My least favorite kind of cheating was knowledge based... I can't delete knowledge though.
When I hear someone talk about "knowledge" in a context like that I cant help but think about syntax... gently caress syntax and anyone who suggests hiding anything behind some silly name or one-off verb.

Mud builders tend too put way too much effort into ensuring that the player has spent enough time reading their lore and marveling at finely described statue dongs.

If someone talking about fight club(despite it being clearly against the rules) is enough to break your game then something must have gone horribly wrong dev side.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Funkmaster General posted:

How do people feel about crafting systems? More complex or less complex, which is better?

I would definitely dig into something like that. You could probably even enhance the self discovery aspect by having giving each process somewhat random quirks based on how it was learned. Say someone putrefying swamp root via the dwarven method would get something with completely different properties than using the gnomish method, but for 90% of task the 2 methods would behave the same.

Let people bypass the randomness by having a few reliable teachers while still allowing self-taught crafters the opportunity to try and find something new without forcing them to do something crazy like batmud's great alchemy experiment.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's been up continuously since Sunday, according to the "time" command. Are you behind a firewall at all?

I have the same problem... looks like a proper backbone routing issue.
pinging the address gets me a "TTL expired in transit" error and tracert gets caught in a loop

tracert 197.227.143.195 posted:

19 329 ms 332 ms 327 ms ph-g1-0-0.telecomplus.net [196.192.102.5]
20 328 ms 327 ms 327 ms or-g1-0-50.telecomplus.net [196.192.102.10]
21 328 ms 328 ms 327 ms 196.192.102.53
22 328 ms 327 ms 327 ms ph-g1-0-0.telecomplus.net [196.192.102.5]
23 327 ms 327 ms 327 ms or-g1-0-50.telecomplus.net [196.192.102.10]
24 328 ms 327 ms 326 ms 196.192.102.53

Could anyone else who cant reach check if its getting caught in the same place?

EDIT: should probably add that I'm trying to connect from Texas

Reicere fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Not much, sadly. One of the top things on my to-do list is to go through the source code and translate the race/class tables into readable descriptions for help files.

While you're in there could you enable room numbers for us plebs, so we can get in on that hot sweaty mapper action.

• Locked thread