Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I've never really been a mudder, more of a SWR'r. I've been playing them for more then a decade, and now I admin Legends of the Jedi, the biggest SWR (biggest Star Wars MU*?) out there http://mudstats.com/Game/LegendsoftheJedi.aspx

Feel free to swing by and say hi, sometime. wwww.legendsofthejedi.com port 5656

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I was bored tonight so I decided to draft up a design document for a Deus Ex themed MU*. You can read the DD at http://tinyurl.com/deusexmud

I'm mostly looking for insight both from MU*ers and Deus Ex fans alike. I'm mostly looking for insight as to what will work both as a MU* and as a Deus Ex themed game.

Disclaimer: Unlike most "I have a great idea for a mud!" things on mudconnect.com or whatever I actually have coding and administrative experience.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Oh baby. I'd forgotten just how much I love coding, there's something about it that just feels rewarding.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Newbie-on-newbie PKing is my favorite kind of PKing.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Phummus posted:

Its very stagnant there. They're looking for an RP reason to move to a new age. I propose that we colonize a planet that has no real player base. Yep, grind in secret until we've got some capacity, create a clan and start building some ships. We dont need much of an RP reason other than "Sick of the republic and want to rule things"

You might as well try and do it if you're a real man. You can try and come off as goony by saying it is griefing or trolling but the mud is sort of built around conflict so the more the merrier. If you need any help, let me know.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Any tips for LotJ newbies?

Tell Walldo you said hi from SA. I'm always into sodomy, sapiens and non-sapiens alike.

For real though, your best bet is to join a clan. If you're into the PK/conflict aspect, a major clan. If not, a minor clan. They'll generally get you on the right track in terms of leveling/equipment and are a good introduction to RP and fun things like that.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
My mud's started rolling out MSDP support for custom mushclient GUIs ala Realms of Despair, etc. I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with it. Ideas, unique ways to implement, creative interfaces, things like that.

Has anyone seen it implemented with a web-based client? I feel like that + a facebook app would be a good way to introduce mudding to new clientele.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Loving Life Partner posted:

Do any goons play Legend of The Jedi? Star Wars Reality is the only other codebase I ever really got into. Permadeath and a robust space flight system? Mmmmm.

I do, I do.

Pochoclo posted:

I once created a character. Some Sith Lord paged me asking if I wanted to be his sex slave in the first few minutes.

I feel obligated to object to this post for a number of different reasons. The odds of a character randomly sending you a tell minutes after you created are pretty slim. The odds of them doing this to proposition you for some weird sex roleplay is even more slim as that sport of propositioning doesn't happen on the mud all that often. The odds that a Sith Lord, a type of character the staff tends to keep tabs on, doing that is slim to none.

If this did happen then I really do apologize and would encourage any players, LOTJ or otherwise, to contact the administration of a mud if they see this happening.

Sheep posted:

The fact that a game needs rules like this really says a lot about the people involved.

I can understand your point and I agree to a point. I do want to point out however that there are a couple different factors that can go into something like this - The "well it isn't written down" argument can crop up, for some older muds it can be a remnant of a different culture from years ago, or it can just be staff playing on the safe side.

Either way, that sort of roleplay is NOT allowed on LOTJ in any form. If anyone ever comes across it, I hope they bring it to our attention - I'd rather have a curious newbie playing than an oldbie doing some real hosed up poo poo.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Reicere posted:

Last time, I had done my reading, picked out a race and all that jazz using the official(and frequently contradictory) on-site information. So I connect and start working through the questions, get to race, and what happens. The nice scientific race I chose had somehow became an alias for one of the app only warrior races... completely unreferenceable from any commands, even the help files

So today I try and give lotj a try, head to the site and am greeted with the least informative, most broken piece of poo poo... cant even be bothered to include a beginners guide, the connection guide is a dead link, the wiki link takes you to a login-walled "bug tracker" and there is no way to register on-site in order to see it. Literally the only thing you can learn about it is a short blurb and that they expect to get $950 a month in donations.

So, what I'm actually looking for is some excuse to "give it a chance" other than star wars!

I know exactly what you mean W/R/T that choosing a race/getting a wrong help file. Long story short, we removed it because it was a broken piece of poo poo, as you pointed out.

I had no idea the 'how to connect' page is dead, I will get that up and running tomorrow. It's actually a dual how to connect/how to play guide so two birds with one stone, at least.

The terrible 'have to log in' to read the wiki thing is a terrible attempt at a stopgag because we've had consistently terrible wiki spamming and I'm not good enough at wiki poo poo to fix it. I'll bug our webmaster when he's back from his business trip about a better solution.

And just as a side note, there is no way to register on-site. Website account is the same as your mud-side account which is made when you reach level 2.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

tarepanda posted:

How does time work in LotJ? I'm kind of curious because I was HUGELY into the expanded universe for a while, but I fell out of love when they started doing batty stupid poo poo with the Vong.

If you're talking about where we're set in Star Wars time, we follow a rotating system of timelines and eras. Each timeline is made up up 3 eras (Old Republic, Galactic Empire, New Republic) that we cycle through, so we get to cover pretty much every area of Star Wars. A typical timeline lasts around two years.

I despise Vong and they will never be on LOTJ.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

I went ahead and fixed those typos you found. You're spot-on about the letters in brackets at the login screen, I'll clean that up this weekend.

Thanks for helping us clean up, lemme know your account name here or on the mud and I'll sling you some points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
LotJ revamped a lot of the help files mentioned in this thread and we also introduced a whole package of help files to get across the most important points. They start at Help 1 and proceed through Help 17. An index of them is at help newbie_index. Let me know what y'all think.

• Locked thread