Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
For you electro-house fans in New York, here's an event that can't be missed: http://www.terminal5nyc.com/event/3884

I'm seriously considering blowing a bunch of money to go up and see this. I dig Major Lazer's stuff ok, but Boys Noize and Proxy have been blowing my mind lately. 35 bucks doesn't seem tooo steep either.

Also I'm glad this thread has actually completed a page without someone taking a huge pretentious poo poo on Deadmau5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Pyr0 posted:

I've recently started listening to a lot of french electronic music, such as Danger, Justice, Kavinsky and Data. I was wondering what genre they fall into? Also what other artists would I enjoy if I like their sound?

I really quite like Danger, especially 88:88 and 00:01 off his 09/16 2007 EP. I found Cross by Justice to be pretty great all round. Kavinsky was good, or rather the Sebastian remix of testarossa overdrive was, the rest was pretty boring.

"House Electro" to shoehorn it. To throw out some recommendations: Boys Noize, Proxy, The Toxic Avenger, LA Riots, Bloody Beetroots. Start with those, especially Boys Noize- it's a good intro into the genre after you hear Justice and bands like that.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Cyril Sneer posted:

I absolutely loved their debut album, but I'm not getting my hopes up for this. I read somewhere they consider themselves a rock band, not an electro act, with Kids/Electric Feel/Time to Pretend being more or less flukes.

I mean, if you've heard the rest of Oracular Spectacular it's not very electronic at all and goes towards more of the "psychedelic rock for hipsters" feel. It's not terrible, some of the songs are pretty cool, but I do wish they'd stick more with their electronic roots since their singles from the album really did deserve the hoopla they got if you ask me. You can find live versions of the songs that are presumably going to be on the new album, and yeah, they aren't bad but they aren't great either- it sounds like your average intelligence-conscious college group.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Is a Wolfgang Gartner set worth a 3-hour roadtrip and ~$20?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
I'm shamelessly into Deadmau5, but he's about the only person from the "technobro" genre as I like to call it who I'm really into. I haven't heard much of Gartner's stuff, I'm just trying to see some of the "big names" I guess

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Osh posted:

And what the heck does "technobro" mean?

A "technobro" is/are the guy/guys you see at shows like Deadmau5 or Tiesto who won't be able to talk to you about anything other than MDMA or various DJs they've seen "x" amount of times. If you hear anyone say in a "bro" like voice "oh yah man, I've seen Benny Bennasi like seven or eight times in the past month" then you're probably hearing a technobro. They wear clothes that are skin-tight and generally show off their muscle and "swagger" as much as they possibly can. Seriously, go to a Deadmau5 or Tiesto show and they will be EVERYWHERE.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Threatis posted:

basically anyone who defines their favorite genre as "bangin' house", "bangin' trance", or "bangin' electro" is best avoided, as well as the dude who comes up to me at gigs and tries to school me on a 4 year old track like he's in the know. seriously, gently caress that dude.

Actual conversation I had when I saw Deadmau5:

:what:- Yo dude, you know where I can get any rolls?
:banjo:- no.
:what:- mannn I wanna roll. I was gunna wait until Deadmau5 but this opening DJ is sick dude, you guys have some awesome locals
:banjo:- actually this guy's been touring with him for the entire tour, I don't think he's from around here.
:what:- oooh word *goes on to talk about how he went to Canada to see Armin Van Buren or Benny Bennasi or something.

So anyway, cut to like 30 minutes later and I hear a familiar voice on the smoking deck say "yeah brah, this opening DJ is sick, it's like my fourth time seeing him." Sure enough, it was example A of technobro.

Technobros tend to look like this:

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Anybody actually like the new SebastiAn track? I love it, but you have to listen to it LOUD.

Link please?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
This Gucci mix is loving KILLER. What is the sample being used in Dope Boys? It sounds way too familiar.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
The new Justice track is great, it'd be better if it were two or three minutes longer though..

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Caseman posted:

Well, that's disappointing. What the hell is the point of that?

Someone went out of their way for a ego boost.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

ManoliIsFat posted:

because god-forbid they do it the old-fashioned way, through hard-work! No, it's much better to go ahead and pretend you're another band instead of using that effort to promote their own poo poo. anyone who needs to assume the identity of another loving artist to get publicity is a hack and talent or not shouldn't be recognized positively at all.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

ManoliIsFat posted:

We're talking about someone making a Justice-sounding track. Not exactly hard work. Do you listen to a lot of electronic music (I'm guessing not ure a deadmau5 fan)? This isn't that odd. Only in the rockstar world of bloghouse could this be seen as an afront to common decency. Just because you're a teenager with way too much invested in your idols doesn't mean the guy who made that track isn't putting his work in or deserves your ire.

Just because HypeM blew up because of it doesn't mean you have to be so angry. Its exactly the same as kids who put their band mp3s on Napster and said they were Blink 182 for more downloads. It doesn't mean you've got to denounce them and act like this is the ethical transgression of the decade. People got punked; it's very, VERY funny. Nothing more than that

Is it talented or is it funny? Make up your mind. Also, you listen to dubstep, you don't really have much of a place to talk about my music tastes.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Vernacular posted:

do you know how dumb you sound right now?

As dumb as a technophile who browses blogs all day and manages to make even electronic music pretentious? Oh wait...

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

ManoliIsFat posted:

I mean, you liked that track when you thought it was Justice, but now you're all mad. You shouldn't be mad the dude who made that track betrayed you, you should be angry with yourself for not still liking it. You should be disappointed with yourself for not laughing because a bedroom producer pulled one over on you.

I still think it's a good track. Which is why I wish the guy would have just taken his own credit for it instead of claimed to be somebody else. I'm not some Justice-fag who is going to lose sleep over the matter, but whether it's techno or alternative or loving Miley Cyrus, I still believe in artistic integrity. If you have a problem with that, sorry.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

ManoliIsFat posted:

It's both! I mean, jesus christ homie, you make fun of guidios but everything you have ever said, in this thread and the previous one, obviously comes from the mind of worst type of newjack candy kid. You may as well be a desert trance fan with the way you act.

And when you diss dubstep you're dissing nobody but yourself and your limited conception of it.

Ok, see, you're proving my point. "Newjack candy kid" "desert trance fan." I have no idea what those terms mean, nor do I give a flying gently caress. I like what I like. I like Deadmau5, I like bloghouse, I even like some dubstep! I don't give a gently caress how my attitude correlates to the type of music I listen to. Everyone else in this thread has their panties up in a bunch about their music tastes and their "attitudes" about those tastes and it's pathetic and goes against what music, for me at least, is about : having fun. But oh well, that's NMD for you I guess :golfclap:

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

ManoliIsFat posted:

What are you even going on about?

And why don't you realize no one listens to Myspace tracks, there's a thousand great ones. A way to get noticed in today mediocre, everyone's-a-producer world is to do exactly what this kid did. You gotta reconsider this artistic sanctimony.

Yeah since every single producer got their start from imitating other artists. I'd rather not make it into the industry at all than do it by claiming I'm somebody else.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Vernacular posted:

as dumb as somebody whose retort against a perfectly good point is "oh....well, you like [insert musical genre], so your opinion is invalid"

"U LISTEN TO DEADMAU5 SO U DON'T KNOW ELECTRONIC"

Yeah, excellent point.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Furnace posted:

With a Mars Volta avatar, I would wager that many people think that you shouldn't talk about music tastes.

I've had the avatar for maybe two years now, it's because I don't feel like I need to spend another 5 bucks just to invalidate a band who I used to be a fan of back in the day but don't really listen to anymore(feel free to check my last.fm) when I could be spending that money on drugs

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ya but the funny thing is you don't realize how silly this is making you look. If you went to the punk/hardcore thread, started gushing about Anti-Flag or Sum 41, kids who have a right to think you're a square, a goober. you'd call them elitists and say they're missing the point, that music is supposed to be fun. But you'd still look like dorks and the real dudes will still be right to laugh.

No, see, I do realize, I just don't give a gently caress because I'm talking to a bunch of faceless people over the internet who have no notion that music taste is subjective.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

ManoliIsFat posted:

Uhhh, no one's saying you don't like that music. Just that your taste, while not measured against some objective standard, can still be called comparatively childish and unexposed to cool things.

Like MOCA doesn't just hire any old gallerist because looking at a painting is totally subjective.

MUSIC TASTE IS SUBJECTIVE. AS IN, SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY, I CAN LIKE DEADMAU5 AND ALSO LIKE DIPLO AND A-TRAK AND ALL THE OTHER BLOGHOUSE ARTISTS YOU GUYS SPLOOGE OVER. AND I DO! WOW!

I need to caps that because I'm stating my point over and over and it's still beyond you: music taste is subjective, you can argue about it all day but your witty forum responses won't make me rethink anything about my music tastes or changing them. Peace.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Vernacular posted:

slackerish, every post you make in this thread makes you look worse and worse. you come across as a teen who's way too confident about his take on music. if you learn to be more receptive and willing to admit that you don't really know as much as your aggressive, 'i-give-no-gently caress' posts may indicate, i guarantee that you will be a better person/audiophile because of it. just fyi

if the music i listen to at the end of the day sounds good to me than i could care less about how much of an audiophile i am. i guess that's why i don't really fit in at NMD :tipshat:

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Psychedelic posted:

I like Deadmau5 but I like other things too.
While I don't consider myself an expert of electronica like others here might, I do know a good amount of artists. You can't really argue that mau5 isn't doing something right, because he's obviously geting fans and he DOES bring a lot of non electronic fans into the genre. That's where the problem is. He's bringing in a whole slew of unseasoned electronica listeners, and they simply don't know about the underground side of things. This thread should be used to take someone who listens to bloghouse and show (not tell) them all the stuff they're missing.

:siren:
The moral of the story is - nobody knows all the cool songs out there. Some people might know more cool songs than others, and this thread is a place to share them so that we all learn more about music and expand our tastes to new things.

start posting youtubes again

Thank you. You've taken the words out of my mouth and vastly improved them

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Furnace posted:

Tiesto just played here a month ago, and it was like kids I never knew who liked electronic jizzed their genitals over being one of 5000 people packed into a hall that fits 2500 max to dance while avoiding huge ed hardy chongos.

I'm taking my cuz to Coachella for his first music festival ever, and the first thing he told me was that he couldn't wait to see Tiesto and David Guetta. Considering that this dude listens to 2pac on repeat, it's easy to see how mainstreamed producers get a fierce and loyal following.

It's easy to say at 19 years old that electronic music nowadays revolves around rookie producers and bloghouse sensations.

I have been listening to electronic music ever since my older bro played me a classic acid house compilation in 92. Now I'm not saying that my taste is better than yours, but I will say that my experience (and those in this thread who have similar beginnings as mine into the genre) have taught me that latching onto every flash-in-the-pan producer or genre (HARD HOUSE ANYONE?) is a quick way to homogenize your personal taste.

look at Bassnectar. He started off playing hippie psytrance/breaks and now he's a dubstep dj? It's been 5 years since dubstep hit and honestly, people are gonna go back to regular dnb cuz if you've been to a bad dubstep show, it makes you beg for some original nuttah.

Question: If you hate Tiesto so much why go to one of his shows? Do you actually pay those steep ticket prices just so you can go to the shows and whine about how "inferior" they were over your precious forums?

I'm new to electronic music. I admit it! I started listening to the genre for among a few reasons being, hah, that I figured the genre had much more unity and much less scrambling for "cred" than other genres. I don't "latch" myself onto any producers, I discovered Deadmau5 myself and decided I like him. A lot of my friends like him too. That's good enough for me.

Not sure what you're saying about Bassnectar either, his stuff has been pretty consistently dubstep for five years or so now and it still delivers sooo

ManoliIsFat posted:

I've got a philosophy degree, you do not want to get in to this argument with me. You can have pedestrian tastes, that's all good, it just won't make you into a good DJ or a good record nerd. That's great, that's not for everyone. You can take your dime-a-dozen attitudes with you through all your life. But you could also recognize game.

Ahahaha, this is priceless. A philosophy degree, I'm glad your four pointless years of college at least makes you a better arguer over the internet

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
EDIT: gently caress it, I'm done here.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

mezzir posted:

They're loving fantastic, saw them at my campus center like 6 years back and were incredible.

Saw them a couple of weeks ago and they were great. Their drummer is loving maniacal.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

bobz0r posted:

heres a song that I like and thought was good that I didnt see posted.

Kylesa- Scapegoat (Mustard Pimp Remix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0EEocHQA4g

this is definitely more dubstep than house but it still rules

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Threatis posted:

the fact that one of my favorite bands ever (Bab Brains) are billed after the deftones, pennywise, slipknot, andsublime is loving sad as hell.

i mean, have you heard them recently?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

trill rear end posted:

mix

whoa, where in charlotte did you play?

also i'm not a pendulum fan by any means but their remix of voodoo people by the prodigy was one of the first electronic songs i ever really liked

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

trill rear end posted:

i played at tremont for the FFLASHMOBB party

nice. being that i only live like an hour and a half away from charlotte and i've heard they have a pretty good electronic scene i'm wondering why i haven't checked it out yet. i wish i woulda known you were playing there in advance :(

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Mr Viper posted:

8 more lives with a place to hide.
starlight strangers, open wide.

it's slowly sinking into you
telling lies to see them through.

waiting for a cure to wash ashore.
you dont know what youre looking for.

I know just how weak you really are.
So how the gently caress was your daydream so far?

hey, sleeping beauty pills, you're sharp like a butterknife
hey, sleeping beauty pills, wake up n get outta my life

hey, sleeping beauty pills, you're sharp like a butterknife
hey, sleeping beauty pills, wake up n get outta my life

i wonder if he wrote this about the girl he got that stupid loving tattoo on his neck for. you know, the same girl that broke up with him like a month later.

trill rear end posted:

might be coming back soon! i will let you kbow!!

if you do and you want to play a show in asheville lemme know, i could probably get you a house show at the very least. lord knows the city could use some more exposure to good house music.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Mr Viper posted:

I didn't know the tattoo was for her but god drat is it bad. He must be hanging out with Tommy Lee too much.

pretty sure it is cause i stumbled across her facebook and her name was 'MEOWSKI'

and yeah, this song is terrible. it's hilarious how much of a blatant NIN rip-off it is. i would give him props for exploring poo poo outside of his normal genre but when you sound like a 100% carbon copy of a NIN song except for way worse it kind of defeats the point.

Mr Viper posted:

I wish deadmau5 would just come to terms with the fact that he's a nerdy nerd that makes really remarkably good music and should just stick with that, not being a "rock star".

yeah, RJD2 tried that, and well...just go to an RJD2 show. you'll see what i mean.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This sounds like a lovely Nine Inch Nails so far :raise:

dude, like i said, i wouldn't be surprised if the beat is ripped from a NIN song. he's doing everything reznor does, down to the "higher-pitched backing vocals to show extra emotion" just really really really poorly.

i showed this to a friend of mine who LOVES deadmau5 and he actually refuses to believe it's real.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
can't decide which thread to put this in so i'll just dump it here. this guy rules

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ-FC3DLKwc

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

CubistK2 posted:

Holy poo poo. I was just about to close the window after seeing his ridiculous hat and glasses, but drat this guy can jam.

i've heard from fairly reliable sources that he has some sort of mental retardation. judging by his talent, i'd guess some form of autism maybe

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

het posted:

Uh, have you heard how talented he is? No normal person is talented like that. When people are born with great talent they need a flaw to balance things out, otherwise it's not fair, that's why we have autism (which he clearly has because he's really really talented).

i said i heard that he was retarded and i guessed that if he was it was autism, cool your jets man

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
the major lazer/la roux mixtape is up and apparently the website is moving slow as molasses, so here's a direct link to the download courtesy of major lazer himself's twitter (still loving slow though): http://sub.maddecent.com/lazerproof/dl.php

EDIT: they literally just added another mirror, hop on it! http://bit.ly/lazer-proof

EDIT2: hahha maybe nevermind...just tried the new mirror out for shits and giggles and my ETA was 3 hours

Slackerish fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 26, 2010

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
the mixtape is really tight though. the skream/pod de floor mix is awesome.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Mr Viper posted:

I hate when apple retards forget to delete the MACOSX folder, it's so annoying to have to download more than I have to. Having said that, this album owns.

oh no, all 2mb!!!!!

i put this up on megaupload in case servers are still crazy and people need to download it: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WOACNEL0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
ok i'm tired of guessing and no one else seems to know, WHAT is the sample used in 11h30 for the vocal part? it's driving me nuts, i know i've heard it before.