Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
There's an EDC album that was mixed by Cascade, it's actually quite good and I'm not normally a Kaskade fan. I wish I was around for EDC, it sounds amazing. I was wondering if there were any are any good rips from Ultra this year, I haven't been able to find any and I'd really really really like to relive that night a bit. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

incoherent posted:

No, EDC is terrible. Ultra, having never been to one, is infinitely better.

You can get ultra/edc sets from mixriot

EDC has some fun tracks, nothing particularly fantastic but it's fun to listen to v:shobon:v

And oh god I love you for those mixes.

e. Oh god it has the Timo Maas set, that was an absolute blast I just spent the entire time chilling with ravers. I was really hoping there was like an Area XM Deadmau5 rip or something. :(

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 11, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

JimmyJazz posted:

download any recent mix by him its all the same exact set

I hadn't heard much Deadmau5 before seeing him live, and none of his recent mixes have Killing in the Name Of which was just the loving funniest thing ever. Also I have a complete hardon for Some Chords and there's been no mixes with the same quality as the Area ones that have that song.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Only Threatis' posting is about as poo poo as Rusko's music so v:shobon:v

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

deadmau5 on Facebook posted:

[deadmau5 management]

Last night, whilst performing onstage at the 9:30 club in Washington DC, deadmau5 collapsed, suffering exhaustion and vomiting. Medics at the venue took him directly to hospital where he is now under supervision

deadmau5 is sad to advise his fans that on the strict advice of the doctors, he now has no choice but to cancel the next 9 shows of his Summer tour schedule to allow for his recovery. The dates affected are listed below.

Deadmau5 hopes to reschedule appearing in these cities in due course but in the meantime thanks all his fans for their understanding and support.

Dates that have to be CANCELLED:

August 1st Osheaga Music & Arts Festival, Montreal Canada
August 7th Summersonic Osaka Japan
August 8th Summersonic Tokyo Japan
August 12th Cream at Amnesia Ibiza
August 13th Cocorico Riccione Italy
August 14th Papaya Summer Festival Croatia
August 15th Sziget Festival Budapest Hungary
August 17th Cavo Paradiso Mykonos Greece
August 18th Opium Mar Barcelona Spain

Yes I follow deadmau5 on Facebook deal with it :mad:

VenomHowell posted:

All I gotta say is, drat, the amount of hate tossed around at some of the more popular acts in this thread seems to make me think the EDM scene has been hijacked by glorified hipsters.

It really has. I like a bunch of music all over the place and honestly some of the most fun times I've had are when really popular acts are playing. I had never heard of Swedish House Mafia before I saw them live at Ultra but gently caress if I didn't have fun listening to their stuff there. Electronic music seems to be turning into a hipster-filled pissing contest and sadly this thread is completely ruined because of it. You can't discuss the acts that appeal to a wider audience because certain posters just come in here and start up giant flame wars and wave their e-penises around about how they were on stage with Diplo.

Can we please just agree to have a "if you don't like something shut up and be constructive?" rule? Like, "Hey, this person new to the whole electronic music scene likes deadmau5, instead of starting a flame war maybe I could suggest other things that might appeal to this person?"

Or yeah just create a popular electronic music thread.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Also in light of this who Rusko/deadmau5 thing I find it kind of funny that it blatantly sounds like he took too much E.

In a sad way though. :ohdear:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

a milk crime posted:

I really like most things that come out of Om records. They do a lot of good things.

The Om party at WMC this year was awesome, they've got some of the best chill music. I have an Om shirt. :3:

Related to the popular music chat, are there any songs that those of you who really really really dislike Tiësto/deadmau5/Swedish House Mafia/whatever actually like? I mean, I honestly like only a handful of deadmau5 tracks, kind of like a few of them, and a lot just sound samey to me. FML, Ghosts 'n' Stuff, Strobe, and Some Chords are just amazing though. I'm far from a Tiësto fan, but Escape Me is pretty neat and so is Knock You Out (but I have a hardon for Emily Haines so v:shobon:v)

I don't know I'm just more curious about "does [popular thing] universally suck or is there something that appeals to your tastes?"

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I think it's kind of "you have to know the specific artist," when I saw Tiësto live I didn't know 99% of his songs and I was with friends and I really wanted to hear Adagio for Strings. Every. Single. Song. sounded like it was leading into it, and over a four hour set that just got frustrating and kind of put me in a mind of "wow, this all sounds the same."

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Furnace posted:

Im just tired of people throwing out "hipster" as a derogatory term. I know people who, if they read this thread, would call every one of us who've posted music or links in this thread as such.

A lot of people seem to hate something just because it's popular and love the hottest new thing that nobody has ever heard of, and for that the term "hipster" sees to be appropriate.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I really want to know what song he did this to:

deadmau5 on Facebook posted:

deadmau5
Im probably one of those people who have no idea what they say while they're saying it, only to be beside myself later:

"Lord knows there's enough sample libraries out there to get a clap sound," he told MTV News at the 2010 Winter Music Conference. "But it's kind of like putting a little bit of love into it when you're use an ...SM57 [microphone] and slap your rear end and record it and then put that in the track."

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Maybe they'll make a track together. :allears:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Lysis posted:

Also, he snubbed threatis at a party once.

I want to hear this story.

Threatis posted:

because his music is absolute poo poo and so is he.

I got to meet deadmau5 briefly at ACL and he was awesome as gently caress. He stayed out for an extra 45 minutes and met every single fan who wanted to meet him, took photos, signed poo poo, and just talked. Seriously, he was second only to Casey Spooner for being awesome as gently caress in person.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Lysis posted:

Also, he snubbed threatis at a party once.

I want to hear this story.

Threatis posted:

because his music is absolute poo poo and so is he.

I got to meet deadmau5 briefly at ACL and he was awesome as gently caress. He stayed out for an extra 45 minutes and met every single fan who wanted to meet him, took photos, signed poo poo, and just talked. Seriously, he was second only to Casey Spooner for being awesome as gently caress in person.

e. He's been playing this remix live and it's absolutely loving amazing with 30 foot tall speakers. He's also got a new track called Raise Your Weapon which is also really good live and while I'm not really into dubstep and kind of wish it kept up what it does for the first half of the song, it's still a fun track.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Muttonchop posted:

Maskinen - Buffalo Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfsn98NMwdg
I know the album came out last year, and even though I don't speak a drop of swedish, Boys II Men is probably my favorite electro-hip-hop record.

"Alla Som Inte Dansar" is an amazing song, and if you translate the lyrics its even better, since the chorus translates to "Everyone who isn't dancing is a rapist"

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Slackerish posted:

Sonny Moore is nice as gently caress.

Seconding this, I saw him after a deadmau5 concert as he was hanging around and I was the only person who recognized him, and I just said "Hey it's Skrillex!" and he spent the next five minutes hanging out with me and just being a really awesome guy. :)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Mr Viper posted:

It's good to have none-lovely qualities of some of the tracks (Bad Selection, Cthulu Sleeps), and I'm a huge fan of A City In Florida and Right This Second. But there's a ton that have already been released (Some Chords, Animal Rights, I Said, Everything Before), and every single track with a female singer is horrible (One Trick Pony? jesus christ awful).

Raise Your Weapon sounds pretty good, but Sofi Needs a Ladder is terrible.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Does anyone know of any good electro-house podcasts or something similar? I'm trying to discover some new stuff and it's a bitch to find things and I don't want to spend all day reading blogs.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Since we're talking about horrible dance music, I heard a brief clip of a song a while back from that popular 808+shitloads of reverb genre and I've been trying to track it down since. I get the impression it's a super popular song, so hopefully this super lovely sketch could jog someone's memory.

https://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/does-anyone-recognize-this

Any bells being rung with that one?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So is this basically a PYF thread that wound up in NMD? I can't figure out if there's any actual discussion.

Here's something, does anyone else think the rise of Big Room House is going to lead to an Acid revival? It seems to be kind of pointing that way, a lot of bigger artists have been making some 303-heavy tracks for a while but Big Room's influence has seen Fatboy Slim back in the charts again for the first time in a long time.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

dj bobby bieber posted:

I don't think so. I think DJ Snake type of stuff is next up unfortunately.

Are you sure? I mean, there was literally a song called ACID9000 (sampling ACID8000 of all things) on the front page of Beatport recently, the TB-3 is coming out which is going to make a hardware 303 almost as cost effective as some plugins, it sounds great with the whole 808 + white noise + reverb thing that seems to be the cookie cutter recipe these days, and a lot of the old guard DJs are loving the chance to play it again. I mean, there's undeniably more of it in popular music now than there has been in a while, especially if we look at things being explicitly thought of as Acid and not just prominently featuring a 303 throughout (like Molly and Sexy And I Know It).

Also thanks for trying, maybe if we keep talking like this people will stop just posting their favourite new song without meaningful comment. :v:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

slogsdon posted:

I'm just ready for the big house trend to be over. Some really good tracks have come out of it but it's becoming obnoxious.

It's shiteasy to make, so it'll be around for a while.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

mogran posted:

I'm still waiting on disco/funk house in the States because Daft Punk couldn't just make Discovery again.

Some of the smaller shows I was at in the summer had a huge resurgence of what was basically Electro House with a bass guitar instead of a synth, it was a really interesting and I wish I'd heard more of it since. Made for some really funky elektro in the best possible way. Still a really compressed sound, but it had such a good groove. Then Big Room House ultra-exploded and now it's all there is anywhere. I'm kind of convinced that the big fads are defined by what's easiest to make, and funk is harder.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'm listening to a Norman Cook set from Global Gathering in 2006 and holy poo poo I forgot how good dance music was before it became all about drops and who had the fattest sausage. Seriously, when did drops constantly become the norm? I can't tolerate Big Room House, and that seems to be all it is. Is there any serious push away from it in the mainstream?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Are you kidding me?

No, every set including poo poo by Norman Cook these days has been all about how many drops you can jam into something, it's awful and it trades keeping up a high energy for just kind of cheap thrills. This obviously isn't literally every set, but it's a shitload of what's headlining major festivals these days.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
No need to be a (tremendous) rear end in a top hat, I'm talking about the emergence of music that is essentially defined by drops as the popular mainstream norm right now.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Mr Confetti posted:

And if you find you enjoy Knife Party, there's a real good chance you'll like Pendulum.

Other than Rob Swire the sound is almost totally different between the two?

But Pendulum owns so listen to Pendulum.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

This is fantastic and I still love Pendulum up until whatever came out after In Silico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Pretty much everything.