Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The new Buraka album leaked. It's deffo more generically "house" than the first one, there's a few real nice beats but not so many great hooks as before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I'd like to point out that I've hated Ray Manzarek with every bone in my body for years, and I don't think a reappraisal is needed right now.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Firaga posted:

why would anyone hate on minus? :psyduck:

Because they release a lot of horrible and formulaic poo poo? Generally I'd say that if you can't get anything from a label blindly and always enjoy it, they're not a good label. Minus certainly doesn't fit that definition, even if they've obviously put out a lot of classics.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Firaga posted:

How does this make any sense? I don't really like carlo lio but that doesn't mean sci+tec is a bad label...
I guess if you don't really like minimal in general I can see how minus can be pretty boring and bland, but it has some of the more interesting and forward thinking minimal tracks on it.
Also there have been many times I didn't "get" a track until somebody mixed it in a set. most of minus' releases aren't exactly stuff I'd just listen to on its own, but thats the nature of the genre.

I don't really think there are "bad" labels, just ones who can guarantee quality, and uninteresting ones. I've nothing against Minus' niche as such, I do like minimal, but simply being released on it doesn't make me interested in a record because they release so much terrible stuff.

The "it only works in a mix" defence is horrible: music is music, a bad track is a bad track. A tune that needs to be recontextualised somehow to be worth listening to is a bad track.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Maguro posted:

Hahahaha come on man. You and I both listen to reggae. And that's just the most blinding obvious choice. Labels wax and wane, good tunes are forever.

Nah, au contraire, Pressure Sounds, Blood & Fire and 17 North Parade support my point: they don't release duds.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Well I specifically picked reissue labels because thinking of original releases in reggae in terms of labels is goofy: you should look at the studio. Coming out on Trojan or Greensleeves means nothing because they have gently caress all quality control (Greensleeves does, thanks to VP) - like sizable lables in general so I don't trust them as an indicator of quality. There were exceptions of course (it's on Studio One? Of course I'll grab it!), but, I mean, do the names Yard, Penetrate, Well Charge and D-Roy mean anything to you? Probably not, in spite of them putting out some serious classics: King Tubby's Meets Rockers Uptown, Satta Masa Gana, Right Time, Black Uhuru's Showcase, respectively.

As for Jammy's, what's their bad era?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Maguro posted:

"if you can't get anything from a label blindly and always enjoy it, they're not a good label."

That's really the only statement you've made that I can't understand.

See, I just meant that if a label's output is so diluted by uninteresting stuff that it doesn't provide a near-absolute guarantee of quality, then it follows that it doesn't provide any real information whatsoever about the quality of an unknown record on it - those are the terms in which I was thinking. "They're not a good label" was just a somewhat awkward choice of words, I meant more like "they're not a strong brand". And if the label isn't a brand that I can trust in, then why should I have any opinion on it? That's like picking your favourite major label, a totally futile process. The primary virtue of a small label isn't promotion and distribution anymore thanks to the internet, it's their seal of approval on a record.

To summarise: I don't think Trojan is a "bad" label, but I think that the wild differences in quality in their releases means that I can't call them a "good" label either. They're just a company, and that helmet doesn't say any more about the record than the red, gold and green colours on its cover to.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Electro-popadonna Little Boots' new single is straight-up house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsX4FPFBgFk

Can't wait for a new album, her first LP loving rules.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I have minimal concert experience in this scene, how much actual work can you expect out of a dj when performing live? I mean, when I go see someone I sort of want them to do something that I can't get at home listening to Spotify.

That something is selecting and mixing the tracks. Anything beyond that is superfluous, and you shouldn't even necessarily expect to see the DJ, just hear his work.

If you're referring to the complaints about Avicii above, pre-recorded sets are a huge faux pas.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Jesus, gently caress Marco Carola. Even recent Hawtin stuff is more fun than his mouse click experiments.

Good #1 pick though, almost redeems how awful the rest of the top 10 is.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

psychicsecession posted:

That's also, like, 80% wrong

It's a bit off (he keeps mentioning dub even if it's not at all relevant, calls grime "slow" lmao and misunderstands the progression from 2step), but the top comment going "dubstep came from DUB REGGAE!!" is also very silly. Just read Wikipedia lol.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Dude, you suck. You'll never be famous. Learn to live with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mr Confetti posted:

Is it still cool to like Tiesto? Just recently started listening to him again and Christ, he's awesome.

Yes, of course. It's great how all the best electronic dance music / house seems to be Dutch nowadays. Armin van Buuren, Fedde van Grand, Paul van Dyk, Daft Punk... Hup Holland Hup!