Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mivias
May 25, 2007

If you want to keep your testicles healthy, remember these three words: stop, touch, and tell.

Grand Duke Ian posted:

I can't tell the difference between the music everybody in this thread likes and the music that is universally disliked. I'm trying to get into House/Electro/Synth because I love stuff like Danger, Daft Punk and Justice but I really dislike a lot of the tracks in this thread. I'll keep trying but drat some of this stuff is terrible to my aural taste. Regardless, thanks for the awesome links everybody. This is a sweet thread.

I'm right with you on this one - I've dug through the entire thread and found some stuff I like (like anything by trill rear end, and most stuff by kue or melee) but a lot of the linked songs sound like complete trash to me. I've got about 30 favorite artists myself but my taste for electronic really clashes with some of the people that come off as all-knowing in this thread. I like some of the stuff people are making GBS threads all over, as well as hate the stuff they're lauding.

Nonetheless, digging through pages of stuff I disagree with to find a dozen gems it worth it to me.

Also trill, sell me some loving music please, my money has your name written on it right now.

Peter North posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKIwNi56WWE

deadmau5 is attempting dubstep now. Hilarious.

Also I like most Joel's stuff but this is pretty uninteresting - I liked it for a short time until I realized it wasn't going anywhere. It starts off at full pace though so maybe he's just intending to throw it into sets for like a minute or something. I hope so at least. It isn't on iTunes or Beatport so we could probably assume that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mivias
May 25, 2007

If you want to keep your testicles healthy, remember these three words: stop, touch, and tell.

Firaga posted:

The whole genre is very subjective. A lot of it is finding something you like and building upon that, discovering new things. It's not like other genres of music where for each style you got X artists and X albums. It's hard to just give somebody a list and go "here listen to this" and have it represent the genre as a whole.

I mean there is the go-to well known names, but even producers tend to change up their own styles and sounds. The best part of the genre is that there are so many producers and so many sounds out there, you can push someone in the right direction but its up to them to find out their own tastes. Although at the same time, with such a large sample, quality (and taste) tend to vary greatly, which is why this thread breaks out into flame wars so often.

That's kinda the whole point of being a DJ in the first place, having your own style, sound, and vibe.

With that being said, I dislike the majority of the music in this thread, and really just read it for the discussion.

I think this is why I love it so much, to be honest, and why I'm willing to hit so many flops before hearing a tune I can't help but move to.

Mivias
May 25, 2007

trill rear end posted:

Just saw this!

You will be able to buy the debut Clicks & Whistles ep at your favorite online retailer of mp3s soon.

Will beatport be an option? And also, do they payout better than iTunes, for you? I have a musician friend that has told me that iTunes pays a completely lovely percentage. If beatport is better I'll go there for it.

Mivias
May 25, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

I've just uploaded a segment of a new track to get some feedback, if anyone could take a listen and let me know what they think that would be super!

http://soundcloud.com/downpour/grindhouse-2-demo
Sorry about it not fading at the end...

I'm re-writing the second hook and the intro needs work, so I just went for a beatport style sample. Assume the rest is on par, I just need another night on it to get that done.

I don't produce or anything so I couldn't give advice if I wanted to, but this is pretty much awesome and along the lines of stuff I like. I'm now scouring your soundcloud. Thanks!

Mivias
May 25, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just saw deadmau5 at Voodoo Fest. Completely blew me away. I had no idea he would put on a show that energetic, but it was a great surprise. Second best electronic show I've seen, right behind Pendulum at the House Of Blues.

Watch your step in this thread. I've personally always enjoyed his shows a ton because he's really energetic and always brings something really interesting to the table. Some folks hate him just to hate him here though, so.

Imapanda posted:

This was slightly covered a few pages back but I think it needs a bit more attention. But this new Skrillex EP is amazing IMO, His new With Your Friends mix and Kill Everyone is in my tops for 2010.

I'm really digging this new release too. Some of my friends were slow to like him after I showed them My Name Is Skrillex and Da Do Oliphant but with this new track Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, they seem to be getting on board. It's just really dynamic and dirty.

Mivias
May 25, 2007

Slackerish posted:

There's nothing you can say to defend Deadmau5 to Threatis, he'll just continue to talk about how vastly superior his taste in electro is and fantasize about sucking Diplo's cock.

It's pretty cute to watch him inflate over the guy, though

Mivias
May 25, 2007

I hate DJs and producers almost entirely based on their level of success and how nice they were to me at that one party

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mivias
May 25, 2007

Stormy the Rabbit posted:

I can't stop listening to Parov Stelar - The Paris Swing Box. Anyone know of any other artists like this? I love it.

I ran across WhiteNoise on soundcloud about a month ago, his music is pretty similar. Try this track out, then probe his soundcloud.

http://soundcloud.com/white-noise/whitenoise-all-you-got-to-do

Mivias
May 25, 2007

Stormy the Rabbit posted:

This is amazing, thanks for this! Any idea were I can buy his stuff? I can't find any info on his SoundCloud/Google.

I've had zero luck finding a place to buy his music, but the description of his song 'A Swing Thing' says it's dropping on 12/20/2010 through Broken Records UK, so we can only hope it'll be grouped with some other tracks, too. I'm dying to have this stuff in my library.

Mivias
May 25, 2007

Thoogsby posted:

I've really been digging Felguk lately.

Particularly the Step On The Scene tracks.
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8t54tXTQ6Q
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7tDiI34A30

You may have heard these already (because they're both from something like '09) but these two songs are in my top-electronic-songs-that-make-me-want-to-dance list, because Felguk is really great:

Disco Decay (Felguk Remix): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujlf_cvg4tE
Buzz Me (Original Mix): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXaCDZ5BbG8&feature=related

Mivias
May 25, 2007

hokiehokiehokiehigh posted:

how do you guys feel about bingo players?
http://soundcloud.com/bingoplayers/bingo-players-mode

Would this track be considered big room house? I have a bad ear for some house subgenres, but my brain said 'big room' when I heard that. If that's the case, I rarely dig big room, but regardless this track is really nice imo.

Thanks for the link, I'm going to give the rest of their tracks a listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mivias
May 25, 2007

CanOfMDAmp posted:

Trust me, I know. I'm all about Pretty Lights, glad I saw him in concert last year for his NYE show.

His live show is really enjoyable; I saw him at ACL this year, and even though they had him playing in daylight, the lights show was fantastic. Oh yeah and his music is really awesome. Anyone who gets the chance to see him really needs to.

And it's good to know I'm not the only one who thinks levels is really unimpressive. I'm dumbfounded at all the hype and remixes it's gotten in the last few months