Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Hi...just came across this thread, and I'd like to contribute another blog for the OP. I run one called "Tracks on the Daily", and House music (As well as Drum & Bass and Dubstep) is heavily featured on it (but, of course, not the only thing there). Give it a visit if you like, and thanks in advance if you do. As for now, I'm going to lurk this thread more...just wanted to contribute something first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Firaga posted:

Thanks but it would help if you had some content first... I read and follow a bunch of different blogs, what does yours bring that others don't have? If you're going to be posting the same bangers everyone else is what's the point.

The problem with the genre is its overinflated with garbage because anybody can fire up ableton and spend a few months learning how to make a beat. I would have something to show before you present it...

And for the love of god we don't need any more blog house. We have enough steve aoki remixes to last us for the next 10 years.

Well, it's a blog-in-progress. It was originally something I did on my personal Facebook Page for my friends, to share what I liked and maybe introduce my friends to some new poo poo in the process. (A common "thing" that happens when I play my music collection around people is that I'm promptly asked if I spin. I tell them the truth, that I don't nor do I know how, and I'm constantly told I should because I have a good ear...or something) The problem with doing it on Facebook was that sometimes the site wouldn't let me post a video (for no particular reason) or I'd just get drowned out by other peoples posts about whatever, so I had decided to give the feature it's own site on Blogspot. There are actually about 419 posts (according to my dashboard, the actual page archive reads 405 though...not sure why that is) on that site as we speak, (I had reposted just about everything that was on my Facebook Page, as well as all new content. Also, I have the page set up so that you only see content for the corresponding day, so you can dig through the archives right now and find the older stuff.) and I have a couple co-authors for added genre diversity (One of 'em JUST joined this morning so he hasn't posted anything yet, and hope to gain more co-authors to further the diversity.)

Basically, it's merely music that I think is cool...My posts just happen to have a HUGE leaning towards Drum & Bass, House, and Dubstep. I'm not going to post anything that's crappy...and I am fully aware that a lot of it very well can be. I've been listenin' to house since BIRTH (Mom knew DJ's back in New York and would always play their mixtapes in the car with me...so it was some of the first music I had ever heard. I think that definitely had a hand in things...) and most of the other poo poo since late elementary / middle school (Although it wouldn't be until late middle / early high school that I would begin to learn the proper genre names. I had no tutors with any of this growing up, had to learn on my own). Don't take that as an "I know Everything" statement, because I DON'T. I'm not involved in any scenes, I've never gone clubbing or to any raves. It was always just about the music for me, and I could always stand to learn new poo poo. (Which was another intention of the Track of the Day / Tracks on the Daily project, to spur more knowledgeable heads to educate me and vice versa.)

I hope that answers your question, and thank you for the feedback. It's much appreciated.

Riot.EXE fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 15, 2010

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Firaga posted:

I looked through some of the archives. You've got a pretty good taste in drum and bass, can't really say anything about dubstep because I dislike it for the most part.
You have almost no house in your blog, just a few things here and there (lots of deadmau5, I like deadmau5 but everyone knows who he is). Also lots of random video game music and other genres.

You seem to have a pretty strong idea of the kind of music you like, which is cool, but the only people I can see reading this are ones that like electronic music but have no idea what they are listening to... like your facebook friends.
Even with dnb its mostly big names that a fan would otherwise know.

Just saying you should maybe think about who your target audience is. The blogs in the OP and the majority of the people in this thread are not. I read house blogs so I can find tracks with the sound I like, that aren't on beatport top 10.
Netsky and B-Complex and MSTRKRFT and Wolfgang Gartner are household names for fans of the genres.

My advice? First and foremost break your blog down. I don't care about all the metal/hiphop/jrock/videogame bleep bleep. Lemme filter it. Also, you should probably take some time to learn the differences between house, and maybe go see a DJ set or two so you have a good idea of what the djs and/or producers are trying to create.
You seem pretty modest about your knowledge of music, just understand that with this genre taste is everything and you're marketing what you're posting to the wrong crowd.

Anyway no more derailing, here is a track that is pretty spot on with the sound I'm really into nowadays. Techy, but almost funky house. Lots of groove, big breakdowns. Lots of looped synths for tasty layering.

You Got - Patrick M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5cZsogiwEE

I'd love to make Genre Filters, I just need to learn how to do it on blogspot. All there is right now is to just type a genre into the searchbar and get whatever I tagged. In terms of the Deadmau5 stuff...2 of those posts are mine and one of my posts is actually a Drum & Bass remix (I didn't like the original, it bored me), and the others are actually my friend Amanda, who also posts up on there (Personally, I'm really not that big into Deadmau5 as it is). I'm aware of the subgenres of house...electro, deep, hard, and etc. I just didn't get too deep into it when it came to the tagging, is all. Everything that would fit under the House Genre is simply tagged as House.

When it comes to finding music on my own, yeah, Beatport is a factor, but I never look in what's the current highest downloaded (I usually don't like it, or heard it too much)...I just go through the weekly releases in whatever genre I'm lookin' for and find what I like there, and in the case of remixes, I branch off and check out the remixer's stuff. I also check out whatever mixes I can find and check out the artists of the tracks I like the most within the mix from the listing. Youtube comments on tracks also lead me to some new things, so that helps. Lastly, there's my old VHS-recorded-off-of-MTV tapes of AMP...which was my main source BACK in the day (I even caught the damned pilot). Unfortunately, I don't really have friends locally (when I lived in Houston, nor up here in Chicago-land where I currently live) that like what I like on the same or GREATER (which is what I want) level without me having told them about it first. That's why I came here...you guys know what you're talkin' about and I want to better know what I'm talkin' about. (I'd post my personal playlist, but this isn't the place for that.)

Thanks for checkin' it out though, and thanks a lot for the insight. I'll definitely keep it in mind.

P.S. That track you posted was kinda "eh" to me...it didn't suck, but it felt like 3 minutes of buildup to nothing...maybe it would work better in a mix?

Riot.EXE fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 16, 2010

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Lysis posted:

I wonder if there's a page in this thread that doesn't feature the word 'deadmau5' on it...

If there isn't, there should be one.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Good stuff, man!

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Threatis posted:

if you dont like the Major Lazer - Bruk Out remix by Buraka Som Sistema, i guess i dont like you.

http://goldenbloggen.wordpress.com/...r-lazer-avalon/

I'm glad to read that they put on a good show. They're going to be coming to Chicago with Pretty Lights in December, and I'm gonna try to go to that.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

melee beats posted:

1999 rules I do agree

Correction, the RADIO EDIT (which is what the music video is) rules...gently caress the album version. (and I still say the superhero in the video looks a lot like DC's "Deadman")

@Threatis - That's an interesting stance to take, and I feel you on that poo poo.

Riot.EXE fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 29, 2010

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

As we speak, my homeboy Vance is spinnin' House live on his UStream channel...he does this every Monday night...figured I'd share.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Play posted:

I've been noticing this too on my local BS autotunetop40 pop station. Honestly, I'll take it over poo poo R&B or reggaeton any day but its still basically absolute poo poo. If you think about it it was only a matter of time, house has a very broad appeal and sounds good in a club w hype lyrics. However this version of house is tailored to the absolute lowest common denominator. It's quite sad though that this must be the form in which electronic music is finally embraced by the mainstream in America.

On the plus side, I can't help but keep David Guetta as a guilty pleasure

P.S. I blame Benny Benassi

Must be? No...it IS. I was at a friends party a couple months back that proved this.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Play posted:

You are totally right, but what i meant is that it sucks that THIS has to be the way electronic music is embraced in the mainstream. in europe people actually have decent taste when it comes to electronic

I know...but even then, what they end up embracing blocks out the good poo poo WE listen to in this thread. That's the real problem. They'd rather skip Wolfgang Gartner, Boys Noize, Feed Me, Kill the Noise, Treasure Fingers, Udachi, Alex Metric and the like for some lovely house mix of an already lovely top40-of-the-week track that won't even matter years from now. THAT'S why it's depressing.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Threatis posted:

dude you dont even listen to this music in a public settings so why bother getting pissed, just keep dancing to it in the homecare dept of the place you work.

Actually, I do listen to the stuff in public settings...just not all that often. I'm not so much mad as slightly annoyed.

The Fresh Prince posted:

This has to be sarcastic. Please be sarcastic.

No, it was just the first few producers I rattled off the top of my head.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Peter North posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKIwNi56WWE

deadmau5 is attempting dubstep now. Hilarious.

I don't even know what to think of that...

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

PonchAxis posted:

dont worry guys by next year electronic dance music won't be in the top 40 and will be replaced by the next bandwagon.

Which will NEVER be "Digital Hardcore". Ever.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Threatis posted:

are you even aware of what digital hardcore is and the real estate it held in the late 90s?

Dude, I grew up with that poo poo. I'm saying it will never be like "top 40" mainstream, is all.

(P.S. I saw Atari Teenage Riot on the 1st and they were loving amazing. Alec Empire doesn't seem to age and Nic Endo is sweet. I got her autograph...buck nice.)

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Threatis posted:

he's also the nicest dude and deserves everyones money.

Co-Signed. Treasure Fingers is the poo poo. I wonder when he and the other two will go back to doing stuff as Evol Intent, though...

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Furnace posted:

Yeah, but it's gonna be at the most Jersey Shore mega-bar here. I went to see Diplo there in the spring, and it was like fist-pumpers anonymous there.

There's a pizza restaurant near me that's like that. During the day...it's all family friendly and poo poo, but at around 10PM, the Bros come out to play. It's like some twisted version of Castlevania 2 or something.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Furnace posted:

How the gently caress did you go from fist pumping to Castlevania? THERE IS NO loving LINK.

That restaurant during the daytime = family fun for everyone / Castlevania 2 during the day = Villagers are out in the open and the enemies that are around are weak.

That restaurant during the night = Bros and Bitches everywhere, the environment changes into an uppity suburban wannabe club / Castlevania 2, when night falls, Simon says "What a horrible night to have a curse", all the happy villagers go inside and there are zombies everywhere and different monsters around the countryside that deal more damage and take more hits to kill.

Linked.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Chicago House-heads!

So, I was at the Broken Note show at Smart Bar last night / this morning...and some random guy comes up to me and asks me if I'm gonna see Bassnectar on Saturday. I shrug and tell him I didn't know about it...then he gives me two tickets to see Chromeo and A-Trak at the Congress Theater on Saturday (10-30-2010)! I can't use 'em 'cause 1 - short notice, and 2 - I work...so whoever wants 'em and is in the Chicago area better get at me NOW

Send all inquiries HERE.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Volvagia posted:

For better or for worse he's like kids' gateway into edm for some reason, which I appreciate. My lil sis cranks ghosts n stuff constantly these days. They'll grow outta him sooner or later.

Kinda like how Pendulum is the current gateway for new kids into Drum & Bass, despite Pendulum being garbage 90% of the time.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

So, I was readin' this comic called "CowboyNinjaViking" and Diplo and Switch got namedropped and all I could think to myself was "hahahaha, Threatis..."

(No, that was not a diss towards Threatis. Don't even.)

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

incoherent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdKT6nkbjQo

Here we go. Those few and far between electro tracks.

Excellent find, good sir!

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Apolis posted:

so the bloody beetroots are going back to djing again after calling out djs?

DJ's have beef?

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

So my friend Lee joined my blog and posted this really badass house mix by Go Go Bizkit for his debut. I really think y'all should give it a listen.

He's also one half of an up and coming House Duo by the name of "Verlan". Check 'em out!

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Hammsturabi posted:

Just try to find Indian pop music you like. Most of their pop music does indeed come from movies so look at recent Bollywood soundtracks first, but don't limit yourself to Bollywood (I have a feeling your friend isn't going for 100% authenticity). For example, this song is from a "Kollywood" movie (Tamil film industry) and sounds like something white girls who like Bollywood would dance to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLeST0jrXWU

Other keywords to research are Tollywood and bhangra. But I guess your first stop should be Indian music that is popular outside India, so pick up the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack and that Panjabi MC song that samples Knightrider. People will probably be expecting you to play Jai Ho and Panjabi MC twice each so those are the aces up your sleeve. As for less-known stuff, I don't know where you can actually acquire the music but there is probably some English-language online resource you can use.

Edit: Oh wait I meant to say DID SOMEONE SAY INDIAN TECHNO??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUqnPYwoiF4

What about Talvin Singh and Amon Tobin?

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

phractured posted:

Anyone else going to Major Lazer/Pretty Lights in chicago?

Christmas killed my funds for that...

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Kerk posted:

This bomb just dropped a couple days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyIx...player_embedded

Cant wait for the Siriusmo album to drop!

Pimp rear end track right there.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Threatis posted:

another good crossover dubstep dude is Mexicans With Guns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2N8IQJ6u40

basically this as dubstep as i get before it drives me crazy.

Ok, THAT was actually good, Threatis, but that Uppermost track from earlier was pretty fuckin' awful to me.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

GZA Genius posted:

Ok I am just throwing this song up here even though it should be in the D&B thread. I feel that someone that is interested in both genres (Electronica/D&B) would be able to get into the song. Also if someone can point me in the right direction of music similar to this (D&B but with a vocal track) I would much appreciate it.

Netsky - Escape (Live in Sofia)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW49TWcjChU

Not bad...it's no "Everyday"...but it's still pretty good.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

brasstassels posted:

Quoting this because I came to post it myself, and it shouldn't be passed over.

It's fantastic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTNHqqeTreo

I'm spreadin' the good word on my blog with this one, today. Good lookin' out!

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

This is the kind of stuff my mom used to rock in the car when I was a toddler...I have no problem with this.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

melee beats posted:

welp "complextro" is definitely something i could see a self absorbed 19 year old coining

Yeah, the name is REALLY loving stupid. It just sounds like Electro House from a few years back. (which is fine by me, but really...that loving NAME)

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Threatis posted:

gently caress

YES

http://djayres.com/2011/07/19/id-gently caress-me-ep-video/

If you dont buy this album you should die. Also the video rules too.

You just made my night, man. Thank you.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Does everyone hate dubstep here? Just wondering.

Also what genre is this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCH1AsUydSc&

I hate BAD Dubstep.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Dono posted:

GREAT remix of "Hey Boy Hey Girl" from the Chem Bros. by Disco of Doom.

http://soundcloud.com/discoofdoom/t...bothers-hey-boy

they have a set they recently put together on their main page as well that was pretty awesome. Both have downloads. It's good to see someone put this song to good use.

Listening to it now...it's not bad at all!

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Threatis posted:

and even more directly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ6zr6kCPj8

Every suburban bar tryin' to be a club in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago...that's where I hear this stuff all the time when friends drag me out to these spots.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Stuntastic posted:

ummmmm p.rock anthem owns

as does this remix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QiZY-N_4dc

Kingsley begs to differ.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

eilios posted:

http://soundcloud.com/prototyperapt...nzed-skyscraper

PrototypeRaptor's entry to the Skyscraper remix contest is out, I'm a little late with the posting but it's pretty solid.

This was really good, man!

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Gamest Mook posted:

I think this argument is a little tiresome. Why is more people necessarily better? Why do we need ambassadors to the mainstream? I'm not an elitist; I don't believe in going out of your way to avoid attention or exclude people. But I don't think bringing enlightenment to people is necessarily praiseworthy. There is something to be said for having to find it for yourself.

edit: This should not be misconstrued as advocacy for that boring fucker James Blake's diatribe.

Is his poo poo really that boring? I liked CYMK, but it's the only track of his I ever heard (and owned)

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Battle Cattle posted:

Pillowtalk or Mord Fustang? Someone help.

Mord Fustang has recently been featured in a Weetabix Cereal Commercial. (I've never even HEARD of the cereal until this commercial, mind you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It's an English cereal that they don't sell in the states (or a lot of other places either) so that might be why.

I still can't stop laughing that dubstep is now so engrained in music that it's being used in cereal adverts.

Actually, one of my homegirls mentioned that it could be found in "Whole Foods" supermarkets sometimes. (I live in the Chicago area) Still, I figured it was UK only when I saw the commercial and read some comments.

Yeah, I bet it'll only be a matter of time before we see like, Dubstep Cinnamon Toast Crunch commercials or somethin'.