Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Does everyone hate dubstep here? Just wondering.

Also what genre is this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCH1AsUydSc&

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Computer Blue posted:

Swedish House Mafia
Answer's in the title

I know, but is it straight up house or is it some subgenre of house or Pop House or some poo poo

I'm really not that far from someone who referred to all EDM music as "techno" so you'll have to humor me

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I'm guessing Skrillex type stuff is the brostep yall are referring to? Thats what bros around here listen to.

Anyways thanks, one more question if you feel like answering, is this stuff House or is it Trance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8nQa1cJyX8

Thanks in advance. I'm sick of listening to stuff and not knowing wtf it is

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
drat y'all definitely just pooped on my tastes. I really like that song to go to sleep/chill out to hahaha

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Threatis posted:

here's another one you might like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSYxT9GM0fQ

No no no. It does not have the same "chillaxing" qualities as the other song. Although the kids at my high school who took ecstasy did freak out over this one when it played at prom.

Saucy Slit posted:

Maybe this will help your ears differentiate:http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

It's funny, I've actually gone through this entire thing and it was fascinating. But wasn't really that into any electronic music at the time so it didn't sink into my brain. Gonna take a closer look this time.

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 28, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Well here's a song I enjoy alot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUO7wXRkFx8
(Daft Punk - Rolling and Scratching)

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Sooo give me some songs with (what sounds like) pretty girls singing on da track.

And tell clear up this confusion for me: I bought a CD from Best Buy that is one of those compilation Trance CDs (fail, I know) with different artists on it and it had a Deadmau5 song on it. I thought Deadmau5 was house. The song was ghosts n stuff, I THINK. What gives?

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Apologize but my point still stands. Is Ghosts N Stuff a trance song or did the makers of this mediocre trance compilation just throw it in there for the hell of it. (the version on the CD is actually the long version without vocals)

Also another question. In the OP Daft Punk is mentioned as the most "known" example of House Music. It seems to me quite a few Daft Punk songs are pretty experimental or just straight up aren't house at all, is this the case with most house artists?

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I'd appreciate a little more clarity than that, I think these are valid questions and this thread is not super active anyways so you could take time to enlighten someone who is new to this kind of music rather than just "hahahaha" at them.

With Daft Punk I got the cd Musique Vol. 1, and all the songs seem to be house except for "Something About Us" and I'm not sure about "Robot Rock" either. I'm just wondering if this is the usual case with house artists or not to step outside their genre.

edit: Seriously, I mean I knew before posting that these weren't exactly Grade A questions but I thought maybe someone could humor me with some discussion since a lot of posts in this thread have just been consistent of a youtube link or "what's going on with soandso festival." No one I know in real life listens to this kind of music so I can't ask them these questions. Yes they are kind of stupid but oh well.

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 30, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Thanks for the answer.

As for the compilation part, I only bought it because I was looking for Deadmau5 4x4=12 and it was unfortunately not there.

No most of their stuff does sound like house, but every once in a while a random track like this one will come on and just raise some questions.

Honestly I'm trying to do some more personal listening so I don't have to be berated on forums but sometimes I wanna hear a reply from a more experienced listener/connoisseur/whatever. If you find the questions so hilarious you really don't have to answer.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
That V.I.P. track was an abomination in my ears, but the Party Rock Anthem was get-down-to-able. Then again I have little emotional investment in what "real" house/electro/synth is.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Threatis posted:

it has nothing about emotional investment. it is a bad song.

Which one? Both? You're probably right I'm just saying if I had to jam one it would be the Party Rock Anthem

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
that track goes. god drat

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
So I'm listening to this Deadmau5 4x4=12 album and it is loving awesome. Is there a logical step forward from here to make as far as house music goes

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

eilios posted:

4x4=12 is one of deadmau5's worst, though :ohdear:

It depends on which tracks in 4x4=12 you liked especially, because the album is a bit schizophrenic in sound(see: Raise Your Weapon vs Right This Second). Wolfgang Gartner is one of the most logical step "forward" from deadmau5 I can think of, though.
I know I haven't got to the rest of his stuff yet. I just like the catchiness of this one, thought I probably appreciate Raise Your Weapon (which doesn't count for this thread) and Everything Before the most.

whats his best then

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

88h88 posted:

Yikes, someone actually likes Raise Your Weapon? It's a terrible track on a massively disappointing album. I've noticed that he does his best work on collaborations (the Kaskade collab being IMO his best poo poo). RYW is just straight up bad from any perspective, it's a terrible dubstep track. Mau5 does best when he sticks to his 8/9 minute long house poo poo and I hope he realises this. I thought it was a bit lovely to stick what IMO are a few 'experimental' tracks on 4x4=12, it seemed like some of it was work in progress rather than actually finished or refined.

Flavour of the month Madeon's remix actually made RYW listenable though which is quite some doing.

Random Album Title is a solid album though I do tend to get a little bored of it after a while.

Uhhmm I think Raise Your Weapon is good to someone who doesn't have a refined, sharpened, polished dubstep taste. Show that song to anyone with a marginal interest in dubstep and they will instantly fall in love with it. That's the genius of it, but yeah I can see how people wouldn't like it who actually research and listen to EDM tracks.

Thoogsby posted:

You'll like the album I mentioned in my last post (Nero - Welcome Reality). Slightly different but similar aesthetic, big drops and whatnot.

yeah I already planned on checking that out, thanks

I just really like the (perceived?) simplicity of Deadmau5' music. It just hits the right spot for me and is catchy enough for my friends to listen to so I don't have to hear them bitch about techno blah blah put back on whatever flavor of the month rap they wanna listen to

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 17, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
This will probably fall on deaf ears here (i think?) but can anyone provide a review on Deadmau5's latest tour?

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Firaga posted:

I'm seeing him in Philly at the end of this month, I'll report here. I hear with his new setup his shows are 2 hours now. Looking forward to it :)

I'm almost crying that the ticks are sold out. Im going to try and get a generous auntie to buy me 2 ticks from stubhub or whatever (i think they are someone's tickets trying to sell them off? not sure how that works) so me and a friend can go. Anyone have experience with that sort of thing?

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I'm pretty depressed about the fact that I can't go to deadmau5 due to exorbitantly high ticket prices. Anyways, house/electro elite, what are some good replacement shows that I could look forward to in the future in the Houston area?

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Rollin and Scratchin is such an awesome song. Anyways, I am super depressed that I missed Deadmau5 last night in Houston, but I just didn't have the 100+ dollars to get a ticket and didn't have a friend to go with. Any suggestions for artists that have a great live show and will probably be coming to Houston soon?

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

melee beats posted:

$100 for some lights and some super dull music plus a bad vibe? how did i miss that

drat did you really have to go with the generic thinly veiled "deadmau5 sucks" comment. Now that you said that, suggest to me some Super Good Vibe music that Totally Owns deadmau5.

edit: also what is wrong with lights? lights are good. crazy expensive scintillating light shows make for good shows. unless you're a boring rear end in a top hat, i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Mike_V posted:

Haha why the gently caress would you ever pay $100 to go see a DJ?

To hear songs that only that DJ would play and lightshows that only that DJ has. I've never paid more than $40 to see any artist, EDM, hip-hop, rock, or otherwise. But I don't think that deadmau5 cost that much in Austin or... I think it was San Antonio. Both of the shows were less than 40 dollars I believe.