Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Babylonian posted:

I'm super biased, obviously, but man, y'all really ought to catch a stop on Porter's Language Tour if you get a chance. The M Machine's light wall thing is maybe my favorite concert experience ever, and ghostdad has been totally killing it with Porter's visuals lately. Mat Zo is a phenomenally talented DJ, too. Do it up!
Has he changed the way he does his sets since last year? When I saw him last fall he opened for a Tiesto show here. He kept doing these 'fake drops' where he'd have a massive buildup and right at the peak he'd basically stop the music. Was really frustrating and killed the energy of his set for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Thoogsby posted:

You know he's a goon right?
Is he really? I first heard his stuff through Zedd's beatport competition. That's awesome.

Also I'm digging your friend's stuff

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

JAK3 posted:

I'd like to remind everyone that it's really difficult being expected to not just be a musician but also my own engineer, producer, editor, manager, marketing agent, stylist, graphic designer, videographer, etc etc etc. A little bit of slack could be given in regards to how much one person is expected to be a professional at.
You need to reevaluate what you're trying to accomplish here. If you want to be a musician, then music should be your priority. Period. The fact that you're doing "so much stuff" isn't and never will be justification for your music not being up to par. The year is 2012. The technical capability of being able to produce electronic music is no longer a feat in itself. There is so much market saturation now that your music needs to be top tier just to get your foot in the door. You might pull in a few people with your marketing/promotion, but you're not going to be able to hold an audience once they hear the actual music.

If you want an example of a modern musician who has handled his career properly, look at Madeon. He completely blew people away with a youtube video that demonstrated his musical talent in more ways than one. No fancy marketing, no crazy logos, overedited photos, videos, etc. At the age of 18 he is working with Lady Gaga because he let his music do the talking.

Melee gave you legitimate advice. I know your music is your baby and it probably sounds good to you, but the consensus from a diverse music forum is that it is not good. Don't use scapegoats, "well if it was mastered..." "no, I have it mixed this way intentionally...". Accept the fact that your work needs improvement. Perhaps pick up a few books and refine your mixing. If you keep treating your music so defensively you're just going to stagnate forever.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

What's wrong with Feed Me? His teeth setup looks pretty drat awesome.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Our very own Rukes recently posted up a bangin mix for his entry in this year's DJMag top 100 Dj list thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I know how this thread feels about him, but deadmau5 was working on this song on a recent livestream and I think it's worth sharing. It's an unfinished mix but I'm really digging it. Super funky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFMOPux6qFA