Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

PonchAxis posted:

Too bad he's overplayed and a lot of his music is pretty boring.

Yeah. It's sad, because I think he's sort of talented, and he has a few awesome songs (I love "Arguru" and "So There I Was") but a lot of his poo poo is just boring as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

I've really been enjoying Kaskade's The Grand. What are some essential house compilation albums, or even just essential albums in general? I like a lot of deep hhouse, progressive house, and minimal (the post above was a great help). What do you guys consider staples?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

etard knievel posted:

Kaskade's main label Om Records down in San Francisco is one of the biggest and imo most consistently good American deep house labels, I haven't had a bad compilation album from them and they've released a bunch. Mark Farina - Air Farina along with his Mushroom Jazz mix series are generally considered to be must have classics but IMO he's only okay, he's kind of a legend but there are better deeper cuts out there. Essentials... hard to pick. I think you'd like Trentemoller - The Last Resort a lot. Really just keep digging, I also replied a few artists to you in the recommendation thread.

This and the other post have been a huge help and have entertained me for hours. Thanks so much.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

incoherent posted:

Also, this.

ugh this is poo poo.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Is anyone going to Fractal Forest this year? I'm really trying to attend, but I don't know if I'll make it. I've heard awesome things, though.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Hammsturabi posted:

Is Fractal Forest part of Shambhala? If so, I hope to go. Haven't looked into it yet though.

Yeah, it is. If I go I'll definitely hit Pagoda and all that, but I'm most excited about FF.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

change my name posted:

Quick question, was that leaked 2010 daft punk tour schedule real/confirmed? The one where they were playing yankees stadium on august 15th.

No

http://www.mixmag.net/content/leaked-daft-punk-tour-dates-are-hoax-confirm-management

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

loving right, man. come to asheville. we're inundated with lovely loving jam bands and lovely folk.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

are they going to release a Swoon EP or not? i love the Boys Noize remix, but right now all I have is a lovely youtube rip of the song playing on a radio show

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Mr Viper posted:

The idea of deadmau5 freaking out over Rusko smoking weed sounds like a bad plot to a bad reality tv show about electronic musicians. Is Joel serious? That's just retarded.

especially because deadmau5 does hella pills

e: beaten twice, w/e

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

insomne posted:

Bad musician I can understand, but not a bad producer.

what about this sentence makes sense to you?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Lysis posted:

I think I'm gonna go just to support Crystal Castles. See if they really live up to their reputation of being absolutely awful live.

my Roommate Who Sucks dragged me to see them and the answer is yes. they came on 20 minutes late, played a 30 minute set, mixing was bad, light show was bad.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

I don't know if this is the right place, but can anyone give me a quick list of good Fabric and fabriclive collections? There's like 108, I can't imagine that they're all worthwhile. It doesn't have to be a huge list, just 3-5 that are good.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Thoogsby posted:

what's bloghouse?

it's a name given to the exceptionally bland style of electro house that the blogs eat up

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Chitin posted:

Is there any particular advantage to buying non-exclusive tracks off of Beatport as opposed to a cheaper alternative like eMusic? Are they higher quality or something?

I THINK that eMusic does 192 kbps and above, while Beatport does 320 CBR. To most people they're indistinguishable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Chitin posted:

So if you're planning to DJ with tracks, does 192 cut out the sub bass?

I don't believe so, but I know that the difference in quality is definitely more noticeable on a big club system and that most people will recommend you go 256 or higher