Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

ManoliIsFat posted:

6541 Sabado, where I did all of my growing up, is right across the street from where aoki did his hardcore punk thing.

You have my condolences, cuz "I against Aoki" is just loving terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

MzKzM posted:

Okay, I need some recommendations here. I thought '09 was horrible because of the tribal house hype and I absolutely hated Sound Pellegrino, Renaissance Man, Deadfish and all that poo poo...

Saeed Younan, really well structured and mature but still sounds like gay sex in the bathroom. Yauda on Oosh and Tarazu on Viva are great. Black Candles by Balo & Bashar is pretty fun too.

I can't really recommend Gipsy by River 'n Sea because it's a tune that wouldn't work in most clubs but at an outdoor I have a feeling it'll do it's job.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

JimmyJazz posted:

besides everything else that was said that strobe track is soooo boring dude. dont open with something thats gonna immediately put everyone to sleep. you dont even get a beat going until like five minutes in

Track selection is sort of an crowd specific thing... you'd be surprised how many people think standing around for three minutes during a breakdown is the loving awesomest thing ever... this can be confirmed by deadmau5's entire career arc.

As for actual advice, when moving from flatter to rounder kicks, always kill your low-end on the track you're bringing in. You're never going to get a nice diffusion between them and they'll never phase the way you want them too. If you're rolling with mp3s and a midi controller just wait for a one bar kick-kill in the top track (you can see these incredibly easily in the waveform readout, with records you either have to really know your poo poo or be able to see smaller colour changes in the pitch black), roll the kick back to zero gain and bring in the new one at about 1.5 to 2.0+db

Will sound like righteous thunder. Will get women to sleep with you.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

etard knievel posted:

Don't be jealous just cause he used to be an anime loving goon nerdo and then started doing drugs and playing at clubs and became cool. Maybe some of you guys should take a hint from Deadmau5.

Pejorative or not, this is actually pretty decent advice for new producers and even a mindset that those who've been producing for a while should try and reconnect with.

First, his tunes are really basic. There's nothing particularly fancy about them and they're not overly complex on the production side or to the dancefloor. '1-2-3-4 and poo poo happens' works. It's always worked, it will always work. That track you wrote, with all it's complex breaks and bassline changes gets it's rear end kicked by 'Bye Friend*' and that tune literally does nothing from the start to the end. If you're just starting he's a pretty decent producer to emulate while you're learning and if you're an old hand returning to the bog standards that always work can open your eyes to new things.

Second, even his most epic, sparkle-powered jetpack to the stars poo poo, like Ghost n' Stuff, is entirely unpretentious. There's a sense of whimsy and fun in the tunes that really do translate into direct dancefloor energy. A little cheese is what makes the pizza kinda thing. People respond to big noises, people love it when you smile. Making the "I'm gonna poo poo my pants cuz my music is so underground" scrunchy face your entire set is a poor emotional connection to make with the crowd.

You can tell he takes his production seriously, as the tunes always sound good, the noises have great energy and they're usually dancefloor appropriate. At the same time, he also doesn't take himself too seriously which you really can hear in the music. He knows it's fun, not a contest to be bleeding loving edge hip or 'thought provoking'... where the only thought you do prevoke from your crowd is 'this is so loving boring'.

So, there ya go... an apologia for a deceased rodent.

* this is the one deadmau5 tune I play and I unabashedly love it. It doesn't do anything, it's just a workhorse.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

vossi posted:

thanks for this post and I am also thankful it didn't start another rage war :)

No worries mate, I love to threadshit :)