Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Might as well jump in here, I've been around the scene for a long time now. I'm into the grittier side of trance but have been working on some of my own stuff these days. I'll post some mixes very soon.

Today's Choice - Tom Neville and Stafford Brothers - Come My Way Dub Mix
Available at http://www.toolroomrecords.co.uk/

Thanks OP for that list of links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Is anyone here going to NY for A State of Trance 450?

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
That show in boston sounds like a good idea, I'm going to P Funk in boston tonight. How much are tickets?

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
I need a 320 of Give Me A Kiss - Paradox LXXX (Remix) Track is wicked, totally my style!

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Who here is in massachusetts because I'm going to be playing in worcester soon and all the goons should come out. Trust me it will be a delicious set.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009

Stuntastic posted:

Is there any advice you guys could throw out for someone looking to get into mixing and DJing? At a very, very basic level to start and then I'll work my own way up, of course...

I suggest you get this book: http://www.amazon.com/How-DJ-Right-Science-Playing/dp/0802139957/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267509614&sr=8-1

I have it and it covers almost everything you're asking.

But the tl;dr is:

Dance music uses a 4/4 form with a kick every beat (usually) so you learn to use vinyl or software to match two tracks together (easy because of the similar beat structure) you then experiment with layering tracks on top of each other and progressing one track to the next. Doing this at home is one thing, doing it in front of hundreds or thousands of people is another.

Get a copy of Virtual DJ. Do a search on google. Almost every idiot in every club in the world uses this program or some version of the same concept. (Two virtual decks using .mp3 etc.) They make dedicated hardware that does all the same things but it is expensive and not worth it to learn on day 1. The next easy thing you can do is get a small preamp off ebay ($20 shipped) and get a timecoded vinyl ($20) and hook that into virtual dj and then you can be scratchy mcscratch, but in reality it is nice to get a "grab" on your tracks sometimes.

Then you need to convince your friends you're good enough to play for them, then a club owner, then a record label.

I did not cover production at all or other mixing methods but this is a good starting point.

Also this is a topic that has been covered a lot so keeeeeeeeeeeep readingggggggggg.

Last comment is that TIME TIME TIME is the most important part of this (or anything you're serious about) you need to spend a long time practicing to get anywhere with this stuff because the next guy just spent 500 hours in his basement doing way harder stuff.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Is anyone in here also an ableton user?

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Do you have an APC or a Lemur, something of that sort?

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
I saw you guys making fun of chiptunes so I whipped this up http://soundcloud.com/hurricanejones/8-bit-sweat

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Word you definitely put that 30 minute track through its paces in the 3 minutes since it was posted.

And in case anyone was curious I did that live in one shot and exported it so I know there's some awkward moments.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009

melee beats posted:

If you like classic Chicago/French house, check this out:

http://soundcloud.com/melee/melee-violet

You've got some interesting stuff for sure, I will def play this track early in the night in one of my sets. I'm now following you on soundcloud so I'll keep an eye on your posts.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
No, just a couple posts on here. But I must say there are some lulzy comments on your youtube vids.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Sick track, I can hear all those VSTs churning away.

How much do you get paid off last.fm?

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
What steps do you have to go through to be able to publish on beatport?

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Amsterdam Lounge Hookah Bar, Worcester, MA

March 31st

Hurricane Jones: Trance / House / Electro / Hard Style

...and then most Wednesdays after that, I'll be booking weekend stuff also and will keep you guys posted. And since most of you live forever far away I'll post mixes but it will be about 6 hours long so I'm not sure the best format.

I'm pumped because I finally got the greenlight to play some real dance music in a city that currently only has top40.

And its all gonna be done on my APC40.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Asot450 is coming up quick - am I the only trance lover in here?

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
20 minute live mix from tonight, by far the best thing I have posted yet:

http://soundcloud.com/hurricanejones/amsterdam-lounge-wednesday-nights

And this wed I start playing weekly in Worcester.

I'm goin april 2 and 3 to asot...... GOONS. I'll be drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
ASOT450 tonight!!!!!!!!!!