Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
Stanton Warriors are on tour and I am going to lose my mind at this show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
Here's a solid mix that might have slipped under the radar, Gui Boratto for XLR8R Podcast. It's basically a live set, but he does some really great twists on album cuts, some of the best minimal house in forever. I love this dude

http://www.xlr8r.com/podcast/2011/08/gui-boratto

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

oliverking posted:

I've seen them before they're always great!

Is it not just one guy? I thought that was his name, Gui Boratto, no?

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Schremp Howard posted:

Tycho is playing in Pittsburgh and I have work that night. Definitely need to try to get out early.

Tycho's live show is super killer, but don't expect a lot of theatrics. The visuals on this tour and the band are both WAY better than previous years. He got some new players, and he's using new software (VDMX I believe) and it's a loving killer package. It's great when people recognize a song just off the intro pad and start freaking out like 2 minutes before the drums even drop.

Kerk posted:

This is so drat good, holy poo poo.

Yeah this Azari & III Essential mix is out of control

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Orbi posted:

Okay I've always liked Tech House/Deep House but never really bothered to explore the scene. So what would you guys suggest are some must-listen EPs/Albums/Mixes to introduce me to the genres?

I'm curious about this too. I got into Minimal and some Acid, but I want to get more into Tech and Deep House. I would say off the bat if you don't know Richie Hawtin / Plastikman then you should just listen to all that poo poo because you'll probably love it.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Roybot posted:

Have any examples of tracks you like already? Deep house and tech house are really varied, just like every other genre. There's jazzy and soulful house (classic and minimal), modern stuff, minimalish, techno-y, downtempo etc etc etc... plus straightup tech house and all its branches...

The VFB you posted as "minimal" is killer, I actually just did a remix that sounds pretty similar. I'm into the more minimal or acid stuff, Gui Boratto and Richie Hawtin is my main poo poo right now, I'm looking for more harmonically interesting deep house. But at the same time I love the Brawther you posted too, and that's pretty harmonically simple. Are there some comps or heavyweight tech/deep house artists to look for to start?

Side note, here's my entry in the 3rd annual Acid Battle. All live, one pass, no edits. MPC / 606 / x0xb0x / Juno-6 / Virus C, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdZsjMi8KUk

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Longtiem posted:

I've never found A track interesting, to be honest. I think Ean Golden is generally better / does more interesting poo poo actually. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8eB83axVvw

Okay you understand that the devices they are using are completely different though? It's okay to not like A-trak's music or his style, but comparing him to that video is like saying this guitar player is way better than this drummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Firaga posted:

Ahh drat I'm sad I missed this. I'm sure it will show up somewhere on the net tomorrow.

You missed them murder SF too! Honestly it was a little too packed in the big room, 1015 Folsom seems to get too crowded for headline shows. Like so packed you can't really move or dance unless you scoot near the back. Still, incredible show.

Just got back from Rapture and Justice. I was skeptical since the last Justice album was way less dancey than the previous material, but those guys have it down to a science. They really know how to work the crowd, give a taste of the hits, back off, drop at unexpected places. Incredible show, they always kill it live, even if they are basically just hitting "play" and waving around.