Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Cocheese Sammy posted:

Some new poo poo from a russian dub artist called Mars from the XSSR Music Academy. It's sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_KIJOZXr7Q

Surely that's not this Kyla?

edit: After listening again it sounds absolutely nothing like her. Oh well, good excuse to post a far superior track.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Computer Blue posted:

I guess I'd call it Electro House or BroHouse.
Regarding dubstep I think the thread will agree that actual dubstep (Mala) is great, modern (American) dubstep is mostly bad but can be good, and brostep (the kind of "filthy poo poo" bros on Facebook link you to) is terrible

All dubstep is "real dubstep". I mentioned this in the UK Bass thread before but I'm starting to find this "real dubstep" narrative just as tedious as the "filth" dudes, since those propagating it never seem to namedrop an artist more recent than those that broke out in 2005-2006. It strikes me as an attempt to show off one's enlightened status while still not actually knowing about anything more than a handful of canonical acts.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 28, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Firaga posted:

There were a few conversation on FB regarding this article and I think its a load of bullshit. First of all I think James Blake is extremely boring and overrated. Not saying hes a bad producer but people treat him like hes some sort of dubstep messiah. I think his EM was pretty bad, and seriously, mixing snoop dog and classical music and "post dubstep" does not make you deep and eclectic. It comes off as forced and extremely pretentious. This is all my opinion of course but if this guy came out and said he was trolling everybody I would not be surprised. People are eating this dudes poo poo up and I have no idea why. Am I just missing something, I don't get it.

Also why would he publicly knock a huge group of artists so openly. I know people who got into dubstep through skrillex excision etc and now are into much more different EDM and are very involved in their local community. I know people who like the "bro step" but would have otherwise never listened to EDM. Its the same thing with deadmau5 and tiesto. The more exposure the better.

I remember diplo once said something along the lines of "I don't care much for the mainstream dubstep but anything that gets kids into the music, and producing beats is ok by me, its through stuff like this that they start tinkering with music production and create the next thing"

Personally I think the bro step is obnoxious and totally not my thing, but some of the artists have incredible production value, are amazing performers, and have tapped into a young audience that perviously knew edm as "that techno music u do e to and dance with glowsticks"

Seriously if you love what you do and you're confident with yourself people will see that and follow... why do you have to openly make statements that say "gently caress all of you fakers Im the real poo poo trust me"

I think this argument is a little tiresome. Why is more people necessarily better? Why do we need ambassadors to the mainstream? I'm not an elitist; I don't believe in going out of your way to avoid attention or exclude people. But I don't think bringing enlightenment to people is necessarily praiseworthy. There is something to be said for having to find it for yourself.

edit: This should not be misconstrued as advocacy for that boring fucker James Blake's diatribe.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 30, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Thoogsby posted:

I think his point wasn't that having more people is necessarily better. It just increases the chances that one of the kids that got into the music because of Skrillex or whoever might go on to create something great as a result.

In that case it's probably exactly things like that James Blake interview that will turn Skrillex fans onto the fact that there's other stuff out there.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Enigma89 posted:

What is the consensus in this thread about minimal electronic music? I hardly see it mentioned in this thread, maybe it is located else where?

You may want to be a little more specific because 'minimal electronic music' can probably refer to at least a dozen different things.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Ras Het posted:

Electro-popadonna Little Boots' new single is straight-up house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsX4FPFBgFk

Can't wait for a new album, her first LP loving rules.

Why is nobody commenting on this? It loving rules! Immense Chicago vibes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

MrSargent posted:

Check out this Kaskade/Skrillex song off of the new Kaskade album. It is super disco and pretty loving awesome. It would be really awesome to see Skrillex do more stuff like this because you can't argue with the quality of his production even if you hate dubstep. Oh yah, this is not dubstep...at all.

Lick It - Kaskade and Skrillex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US7wauHA8MI

It's like they both just discovered bloghouse 5 years too late