Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

JAK3 posted:

Art is subjective, but art criticism must be objective in order for it to be valid.

Why? Subjective criticism makes up a rather large portion of art criticism and I see no reason to discount its validity as a whole.

quote:

Music as an artform seems to have this unique quality in that people always want to compare it to other musical works

Andy Warhol's art was a bit rubbish, don't you think? But wasn't it saying something? Did it not provoke a reaction? It didn't look like the work that Matisse created. Why do we do this with music but not with visual art?

Have you ever actually read any criticism of visual art? Do you seriously not think that visual artists are frequently compared with each other and their work held in the context of particular schools, styles, and scenes just like with music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

JAK3 posted:

To try and say that I'm not taking criticism very well or that I don't listen to feedback is just ludicrous.

People say this because you respond to criticism with a bunch of complete bullshit complaining about how music is always compared to other musical works (which is not, in any way, unique to music criticism - nor is there anything wrong with it) and how art criticism must be "objective in order to be valid" which sure as hell looks like an attempt to invalidate any criticism you don't want to listen to.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I love seeing these same arguments happen again and again and again in all kinds of different areas of music. The bottom line is, the terms that we use to describe musical genre are also simultaneously used as social signifiers, often by young people who's identities are in flux anyway, in neither case are there any actual standards, and these uses sometimes work in contradictory ways, so poo poo gets all jumbled up and parts of it gets amplified by media.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

for fucks sake this is music for dancing not comparative ranking or ratings why do nerds try so hard to ruin absolutely everything