Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's

Xesis posted:

Buraka Som Sistema's essential mix is up for download here (it aired on BBC1 last night) - http://tinyurl.com/burakaessential

This was honestly one of the best EMs I've heard ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Mr Viper posted:

Moby (ECHO) - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BU86LP0A
The best set of the night, I was front row center, god dammit I wish this rip was better quality!

h

OniKun fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 28, 2013

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

That certainly sucks for younger EDM fans, but as someone who attends massive events like EDC, the worst part is always the younger crowd. The groups who charge the gates and try to break security are always full of younger kids, and I tend to find that most of the people I see sitting on the sides too screwed up to do much of anything are the younger kids. Not to say that the twenty-somethings don't cause trouble, but to be perfectly honest, High School kids have no place at an event like EDC. I remember seeing thirteen and fourteen year olds at a New Years Eve All Ages Rave put on by the same event company, and quite frankly that's just wrong.

Hopefully there will be a lot less Prosti-tots. They'll still find many ways to sneak in... It happens everywhere

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

I just found out Sander Van Doorn is going to be playing a club in San Francisco in a month for $15... That's a pretty good deal, I think.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

jonmitz posted:

Yeah man, sander is loving awesome. He plays twice a year in SF. I'm going to miss him in august because I'm going go be in Europe. y
You should definitley go. I will see if I can find a free guestlist for you

also John Dahlback is going to play at ruby Skye soon too, and I'm going to miss him. I've wanted to see him for so long... Sad

Getting on the guest list would be awesome, but the event IS only $15 so I'm not too worried. Only thing I'm worried about is that I've heard Ruby Skye is relatively strict with their dress code and such, which would put a bit of hamper on the fun, but that's for another thread.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

My only concern about the Ruby Skye dresscode is that the people I generally go to EDM/Trance events with are all... well, they're pretty much complete candykids, and there's no way I can really convince them to not dress like a retarded twelve year old if it involves electronic music.

I might end up seeing Sander Van Doorn by myself, but I'm fine with that, he's one of the DJs I need to see.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

The Fresh Prince posted:

Why would you post this?

Anyways thanks for the tips. Apparently Benny Benassi is playing at a tiny venue in Santa Cruz on september 11th. Should be really fun.

Yeah, he's playing the Catalyst. I've never been to DJ sets there, but I've heard bad things. The venue itself is awesome, but it's flooded to the brim with rolling prostitots. The age limit is 16+ and they sometimes don't really check ID for the DJ shows, so you end up with a lot of little kids walking around gnashing their jaws into oblivion.

The sound setup is awesome, though, and the other DJs supporting him are pretty good. I've heard John Beaver play before, and I enjoyed his show.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

I think I'm going to be dragged to the A-trak show in SF with a couple of friends (never heard any of the artists and I'm not the biggest hip hop fan), but I've heard good things about this venue so I hope it ends up fun.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Some kid I go to College with has apparently managed to somehow secure Benny Benassi, Steve Aoki, and MSTRKRFT to DJ an event in March. I don't understand how, but I'm not going to ask questions. I don't get how he plans on doing this (and I wish his taste in DJs didn't suck) but hopefully this pans out and I get free admission to a (hopefully) good electronic event.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

I go UCSC, and apparently its going to be in San Jose.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9csgJkEG86s

My friend gave me this track and I couldn't do anything but dance until it was done. Good Psytrance.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

People in Santa Cruz think deadmau5 is the paragon of Electronic music, so I can see why that happened. I thought going to UCSC would bring me closer to people with good tastes in music...

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Slackerish posted:

Boo hoo you live in an area where every loving electronic musician ever plays your life is so loving hard.

Whoa, didn't think I was inciting that much anger over that comment. Apologies.

Try going to a show in Santa Cruz, though - it's filled with fourteen year olds on ecstacy, gangsters selling heroin, and confused college freshman. It's a pretty funny mixture. Also all the good electronic shows are fourty five minutes to an hour away in San Fran, we just get local DJs (who aren't half bad though), a bunch of rich college kids "mixing" dubstep, and the occasional big electronic name at the main club (Bassnectar last February... still regret missing that, and Benassi in a few weeks).

To get back on the train, could someone lead me to artists that sound like Jack Beats? I'm not sure what style of music they are (googling leads me to fidget or electro house) but I really dig these heavy dance-y basslines, and a lot of dubstep music is a bit too aggressive for my tastes. Their essential mix is awesome, though.

An small local event this weekend, Sander Van Doorn next weekend, and then the Chemical Brothers in Oakland the week after that. I haven't listened to the Chemical Brothers much but I've heard good things. Where should I start with their music to familiarize myself before their show?

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

melee beats posted:

I'm moving near Santa Cruz soon will I be safe good goons

Depends. Do you like incredible marijuana for cheap prices, good LSD, crazy homeless people, rich college kids, hippies, and a relatively good music scene?

If so, welcome home. I love it out there. If you're going to go hiking in Pogonip, don't go off the beaten trails, and if you hear someone whistling or see someone nodding at you, just say "No thanks" and walk on respectfully.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Saw Steve Aoki at a small club in Downtown Sacramento last night. Unsurprisingly, the opening DJs were better than him. He absolutely insists on playing random metal/rockish sounding songs that are completely out of place at an electro event (in my opinion at least) but the crowd was insane, which was good. Now that I've seen him at a massive event and at a small club, though, I don't feel any impulse to see him again...

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

melee beats posted:

I hope you're saying that the opening DJs weren't that great, because I personally know every single one of them that was booked for that event, and two of them are awesome DJs that have been doing it for forever, and the others are curbcheck-esque bloggers turned DJs turned Producers turned Promoters.

Nope, I was saying that they were pretty drat good. I met one of them, Vinny I believe was his name - if you personally know him, send him my props because he spun one hell of a set.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

I dunno there weren't too many hosed up transitions / lovely songs that night. Honestly Aoki had more dead spots in his set than anyone else. There was one instance early on in the night where I could tell that whoever was playing completely hosed up whatever he was doing but that's about it. I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to live music, though - as long as I can keep dancing.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq8krNFL3_U nice track!

OniKun fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 14, 2010

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Sander Van Doorn is playing in San Francisco Friday night at the Ruby Skye for anyone interested. I'm pretty excited about it, he's one of my favorite trance artists and I've heard real good things about his DJ sets so I'm pretty excited.

There's also a rather large event occuring in Sacramento this Saturday with three stages and a couple of good DJs. John Beaver is going to be there, and he's pretty fun live, and so is G.A.M.M.A. who I recently saw spin a pretty good dubstep/electro set.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Whoever said Sander Van Doorn is the happiest DJ ever was right, cause god drat the guy never stopped laughing/smiling/interacting with the crowd. He was taking pictures of himself on peoples cell phones / texting them messages / giving high fives the entire time. Awesome guy to see live, and he spun a really loving good set, too. I got to hear Purple Haze so I'm happy.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

I'm seeing the Chemical Brothers this weekend in Oakland, but to be honest, I haven't really heard very much of their stuff. I'm going on the recommendation of one of my friends who says that it shouldn't be missed. Could someone recommend me an album / few songs to check out to get caught up with their sound? I have their latest I believe, but that's it.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q39QK8DZfw

Just in case anyone hasn't heard it. Jack Beats is the poo poo. Not sure how that old URL was there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vww...feature=related

What labels/albums should I look into for music like this one? This, too, is the poo poo.

And another actual good track to make up for the other one I had edited in here earlier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzaR...feature=related

OniKun fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 4, 2010

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

The Fresh Prince posted:

Hey yo Oni Kun are you going to Steve Aoki at the Catalyst? Or anyone in Santa Cruz really. Last I checked Mustard pimp was opening. Should be good.

I've seen Aoki a few times and he just plays the same goddamn set every time... but I want to see Mustard Pimp so I might just have to go. I'm going to Rusko tomorrow. I hope he's good live. Dubstep is getting old though.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Hey, I know a few of you are out in Santa Cruz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbERg1M8N8I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GswxfTcff8

This guy is playing for free tonight (with facebook RSVP, $5 at door otherwise) at Motiv in downtown SC, 21+. I'm definitely going to be there.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

melee beats posted:

Speaking of, I just moved to Santa Clara but I'm not quite settled in.. I'll be out in SC quite a bit so I'll be asking for an update on all of the super cool places to be

I hope you like prostitots and filth dubstep and kandikids.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

The Fresh Prince posted:

Mustard Pimp tonight I can't wait.

I can't go to shows at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz after Rusko. I saw this adorable cuddle puddle of 14 year olds with their eyes going different directions and one of their boyfriends with his eyes half-closed drooling everywhere. VitalSC pulls in some amazing talent (Mustard Pimp Tonight, LA Riots + Donald Glaude Friday...) but the crowd just ruins it for me...

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Slackerish posted:

Saw Skrillex in Charlotte last monday. One of the best shows I've even seen, and Sonny Moore is nice as gently caress.

Also have you guys caught up to Porter Robinson yet? He's from my neck of the woods and is basically taking over beatport right now. Only 18 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbERg1M8N8I

I saw Porter live a few weeks back. He was a pretty good DJ, but drat his productions are good I think.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Is it just me, or is the lineup for Together As One this year absolutely insane? A Pendulum DJ Set just got added...

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Whoa, $35ish to see Simian Mobile Disco and Fake Blood at the Fox Theater in Oakland? That's an awesome venue and a pretty sweet lineup. I'm going to have to consider that.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Was the Catalyst full of little kids rolling too hard on the ground like usual?

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

The Get-up-and-Dance crews have been there since last year. And EDC is still going to be a massive trainwreck because half the rules that are posted on the flyers are never followed anyway. Saw a lot of Massagers, Winnie-the-Pooh backpacks, plush animals, and other silly toys inside of the last three "massives" I've gone to, despite them being banned.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

The Fresh Prince posted:

Newest Jack Beats song in all its glory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyqmIjrhE8U

drat, this is good.

I think you reside in the Santa Cruz area, but they are going to the Civic Center there April 13th, with Kill the Noise and a couple of other local DJs.. and Zedds dead to poo poo all over the good music with really boring Dubstep.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

The Fresh Prince posted:

I think a bunch of people will leave once Jack Beats comes on because they terrible people, and really all deserve to have their own gay club where they can be etards and complain about anything that doesnt *wobble* enough for their retarded taste in music.

It's called the 418 project. Ever seen an advertisement for those BASS-OFFs or whateverthefuck they're called? Vital has a monthly Dubstep show there, and it's packed wall to wall with high school kids on drugs. And Excision seems to come to this town every loving month to make a sellout show at the Catalyst. Kids around here love dubstep and Vital loves throwing all-ages dubstep shows full of 14 year olds wearing beads and high on piperazines.

I was so pissed when they put Zedds Dead on the lineup because it's just going to attract the dubdouches, but I'm hoping that since Zedd's dead is on before Jack Beats (unless vital is retarded with timeslots) all the bassdouches will leave.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

GZA Genius posted:

To continue my man love with Above and Beyond (btw who ever suggested Trance Around the World is a saint) they are playing in Santa Cruz,CA (my hometown) on May 26th. I'm pissed I cant go, but jesus the venue they are playing at is horrible. There are a couple SC goons that are in this thread so you can agree with me that for the Caliber of DJ's that are A&B the Civic Center is a horrible location. Not to mention that it is an All ages event.

Would've been awesome to see them perform though. Also I didn't realize until now how much Trance I listen to. I dont know if thats good or bad.

Agulo feat. David Berkeley - Fire Sign (Suncatcher Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anzCoOQxEOo

Where else could they play? The Catalyst is awful... I feel like the Civic Center is a pretty sweet venue to be honest, one of my favorite smaller ones to see electronic music. Luckily this is a trance show so all of the terrible Santa Cruz 14 year olds who live for Dubstep should be gone.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

I saw that show... I really don't dig Steve Aoki much; I've seen him three time and all three times it was pretty much the same stuff, and it just wasn't much fun. Also that's way too close to finals for me, and as a graduating senior (UCSC) I should probably just focus on more important things.

OniKun fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 26, 2011

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Speaking of loud and weird stuff, did anyone else see that Crystal Castles and Crystal Method are playing a show together in San Jose? That feels like a really weird and clashing lineup to me.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

I honestly don't understand the hype for Swedish House Mafia at all. According to the standards set by this this thread, I have a godawful taste in Electronic Dance Music, but even I can say that they are a cliché borefest. They touch on all the most trite and overused musical memes and repeat them over and over again ad infinitum...

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

melee beats posted:

What do you expect though? SC is pretty small

You should start throwing some parties

It's really hard to throw parties in Santa Cruz. The Civic center is the only venue that will take in EDM at this point, because the fanbase in Santa Cruz is made up of literally every single awful stereotype about EDM ever, and they ruin every venue they touch. There used to be about five places that would throw an EDM "party" (Veterans Hall, Catalyst, 418, Civic, and Motiv (sort of)), and they've all backed down completely. Also, "amplified noise" can't go past 1am in Santa Cruz, and the police force is pretty zealous about that. There's a possibility of renegades/forest parties, but the second word gets out to a UCSC student, they tell all of their awful kandikid dubstep-lovin friends and then all of a sudden your event is on Facebook with 1500 attending and the cops come twenty minutes in to the party starting.

gently caress the Santa Cruz EDM "scene"... And didn't a Getter track get played by Bassnectar for awhile? I guess that's for a different thread, though.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

The EDC lineup is out. I don't know, it isn't half bad. As much cheese as there is on the lineup, it has a lot of good stuff too. The Dave Nada moombahton set is a nice surprise. Friday ahas a pretty weak lineup I feel, but Saturday and Sunday are nice.

http://www.electricdaisycarnival.co...ineticFIELD.php <-- the main stage. Still a few names TBA.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

EDC Dallas - kids are hilarious. It's pretty funny that pretty much the exact same thing happened again.

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/arc...ead-others.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

GZA Genius posted:

If anyone hasn't checked it out yet, Above & Beyond were this last weeks Essential Mix and they absolutely destroyed it. I apologize for turning into a A&B homer, but I highly highly recommend checking it out. This one has to be in the discussion of EM of the year.

Maybe I'm easy to please, but both times I've seen A&B live (once in a medium sized venue, once at a massive) they've killed it. Great mixing, and they know how to interact with a crowd well. I've dug their previous EM's, and I'm in the process of acquiring this one. I haven't listened to the new Essential Mixes in awhile, now that I think of it. DJ Shadow / Simian Mobile Disco / Fake blood / Some Talentless Douche were on a couple weeks ago, I'm going to have to check that one out too.